It's being demolished for Phase 2 of this complex. They only demolished the Best building for Phase 1. But yeah, it's not long for this world.
Thats barbaric !!

There are so few prewar buildings over 6 floors in the city. Yet the city requires a little 2 story saloon on the site of The One to be preserved in its entirety

Last edited:
Thats barbaric !!

There are so few prewar buildings over 6 floors in the city. Yet the city requires a little 2 story saloon on the site of The One to be preserved in its entirety
I'm strongly in favour of preserving the majority of heritage buildings that we have, but in this case the existing building is not a great example of such, and the replacement will be far better.

I'm strongly in favour of preserving the majority of heritage buildings that we have, but in this case the existing building is not a great example of such, and the replacement will be far better.

(from TPL database)

If the windows were properly restored , Id have to disagree on this one.

...there where a lot of institutional buildings that where built around that time that had that Nurse Ratched vibe going for them. While they could be argued for some architectural merit for that era, I find them wholly oppressive and depressing, IMO.

Of coarse my opinion should not be the reason to tear down this building. However, they're replacing it with something much more iconic, for right or wrong. And I'm sure they've worked out their reasonings for doing so with The City...or least I hope so.

Last edited:
No heritage building is immune to the wrecker's ball because there will always be someone who doesn't value it. Changing taste is precisely why we've lost 100s of heritage buildings over the last 70 years and will continue to. Once this building goes, how many like it will be left? Or is the goal to tear down every last one of them?

The replacement building is a welcomed addition but we're doing precisely what we criticize past generations of doing: bulldozing buildings with architecture that has fallen out of favour. It bears mentioning that 40 years from now, people might find this U of T Innovation Centre to be awful and bulldoze the whole thing so they can build something more acceptable.

Last edited:
DE1E95E3-7439-4952-BCC7-EA2A0142621A.jpeg
5C09D9F7-1334-483B-8F9D-0D06510D2CE1.jpeg

Could see an attempt to designate 100 College when a rezoning application is submitted.

I agree that it would be nice to see it restored.
I never realized there was intention to designate this. I’m very presently surprised. it would be a shame to lose it specially when it can be restored. Do you think there is a good chance the motion would go through when they plan to develop the site?

Banting Institute Availability Overview
The Banting Institute was built on its current site in 1930 to recognize Frederick Banting’s part in the discovery of insulin in a nearby University of Toronto building nine years prior.
The Banting Institute was once one of two buildings that were home to the University of Toronto’s Banting and Best Department of Medical Research until 2005. Now the building is home to more than fifty startups alongside other commercialization partner tenants that occupy all 5 floors of the building.
The Banting Institute is currently scheduled to be demolished at the end of 2022 to make way for the new Schwartz Reisman Innovation Campus which will accelerate innovation in Toronto and Canada by creating the country’s largest university-based innovation node. Banting tenants will have an opportunity to rent space in the new facility, although rates will be higher.

Last edited:
I never realized there was intention to designate this. I’m very presently surprised. it would be a shame to lose it specially when it can be restored. Do you think there is a good chance the motion would go through when they plan to develop the site?

Not much, but never say never.

There's a lot of money and planning tied up in the vision for this site, which currently does not include any heritage preservation.

Could that be overcome?, possibly; but I don't think it's likely.

Back