News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So I was driving along Eglinton earlier on the east end and I stumbled upon a crosstown vehicle. It got met with every single traffic light. It was beyond slow. It also went through each intersection quite slowly. This is quite sad. A perfect example of throwing away billions on an "LRT".

So I was driving along Eglinton earlier on the east end and I stumbled upon a crosstown vehicle. It got met with every single traffic light. It was beyond slow. It also went through each intersection quite slowly. This is quite sad. A perfect example of throwing away billions on an "LRT".

It's in testing.

Random question, when we talk about TSP

Or signal priority

We are talking about left turns going last while through traffic goes ahead along with the train correct ? (Why isn't this done now regardless. Are we really looking after left turning vehicles here)

Or are there sensors that when a train approaches the light will turn green? (Is this safe)

Heard from a friend at the TTC that Eglinton and Finch vehicles will be allowed to go full speed through intersections. Why this doesn’t apply to the legacy system, especially the Queensway, is another discussion…
No crappy switches?

Yeah the Finch test vehicles seem quite fast. If Eglinton is allowed to move that fast then that would be great.
They may be capable of high speed, but Metrolinx is officially only planning to operate Finch LRT at 17 kph average speed. This is no faster than the bus it replaces, off peak, but it does improve over peak times because there is a dedicated ROW.

No crappy switches?
No. However that’s only one of the reasons they are forced to go slow. After an accident where the streetcar was not at fault, management’s bright idea was to force streetcars to crawl through intersections. It’s such an infuriating knee jerk reaction that makes service worse.

No. However that’s only one of the reasons they are forced to go slow. After an accident where the streetcar was not at fault, management’s bright idea was to force streetcars to crawl through intersections. It’s such an infuriating knee jerk reaction that makes service worse.
If it comes to it, put in the godawful crossing gates to idiot-proof the intersections.

If we can't get this right, we need to stop spending this kind of money on transit that is not fully grade separated.

It's in testing.
something to keep in mind it isn't service testing yet that will likely happen once crosslinks is finished with all construction and it is officially handed over to Metrolink, or sometime once Metrolink's and the TTC are satisfied that they can begin testing the service. They will likely do three months of testing of a simulated service like they did before the extension to Vaughn was opened on line 1 when they would run deadhead or ghost trains from Sheppard west after having everyone get off before heading north to Vaugh and tuning back to pick up people at Sheppard west again.

They may be capable of high speed, but Metrolinx is officially only planning to operate Finch LRT at 17 kph average speed. This is no faster than the bus it replaces, off peak, but it does improve over peak times because there is a dedicated ROW.
this isn't accurate, i know one of their information sheets said 17kph but a metrolinx rep clarified this to me at an event and told me the avg speed would be around ~23kph

Random question, when we talk about TSP

Or signal priority

We are talking about left turns going last while through traffic goes ahead along with the train correct ? (Why isn't this done now regardless. Are we really looking after left turning vehicles here)

Or are there sensors that when a train approaches the light will turn green? (Is this safe)
Everyone is thinking of the second one I believe.

Back