News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

As suspected, looks like they're working on some of the final concrete work south of Eglinton.

PXL_20221121_211323708.jpg

I wonder who is paying the TTC's cost of having already trained up the operators, etc.
The underfunded operating budget of the TTC. Luckily, the Flexity Outlook streetcars an the Flexity Freedom light rail vehicles have similar operating skills. Differences are the Freedom vehicles are multi-units.

seriously why do we not have answers and a confirmed new deadline? 2023 is not even guaranteed
I suspect they have some real major issues like train problems, signal issues or ATO problems that isn't integrating well and they don't want to disclose until they resolve it. If Eglinton Station is aa bottleneck, they could split out a date unless that date is way pass 2023.

I suspect they have some real major issues like train problems, signal issues or ATO problems that isn't integrating well and they don't want to disclose until they resolve it. If Eglinton Station is aa bottleneck, they could split out a date unless that date is way pass 2023.
maybe they learned their lesson: dont make a promise they cant keep.

This is the east entrance at Avenue Station. It's been like this for a while but I thought I'd snap a shot anyways. More noteworthy is the fact that they're tearing up sections of the perimeter of the road all the way between Avenue and Duplex, I'm thinking they're finally moving on more bike lane installations.

PXL_20221125_145204007.jpg

apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a reason that Metrolinx isn't pursuing a phased delivery? this way they can say they've delivered part of the line at least while they sort out major issues (e.g. Eglinton)

apologies if this has been asked before, but is there a reason that Metrolinx isn't pursuing a phased delivery? this way they can say they've delivered part of the line at least while they sort out major issues (e.g. Eglinton)
Because opening a major transit line without its most important transfer would be deeply embarrassing and would almost certainly backfire on Metrolinx.

I'm not sure I agree this would be any more embarrassing than the current situation. Would also be interested to better understand how you think it would backfire

I don't believe there is an open reason. I believe the contractor has said they can do phased but Metrolinx said no.

It would backfire because it would show Toronto as being so desperate to push out a rapid transit line, and look good, that they did so before finishing it. This isn't some non-place like Oakwood or Laird we're talking about here, it is the main access point for thousands of people from midtown, it is the crown jewel of the project, and putting it into service without the station being ready would be like putting a new train into service without seats.

Plus, how would you serve the people living in the Yonge and Eglinton area? They would either have to take the bus and transfer to the 5 elsewhere, which would be a really bad look from a PR pespective, or you'd have to continue running the overhead bus service in its full, present day configuration, rather than the limited scope it will run in post-line opening, which would be a waste of money.

Let it stand. We've waited more than a decade for this, another year or two isn't the end of the world.

seriously why do we not have answers and a confirmed new deadline? 2023 is not even guaranteed
I don't think there's any secrets they are holding onto.... I just think they've lost all credibility in terms of giving out dates and any date they give us likely nobody will believe anyway. If I was a project manager on this thing, I would at this point be pushing as hard as possible just to finish the project - Im guessing that they have internal dates they are marching towards, but they don't want to get egg on their face again, and maybe they are concerned that giving out a date will take pressure off.

Ive really noticed since this announcement in September that work has been accelerating like never before.... if they went this pace three years ago we wouldn't be in this pickle.

Back