News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Empty of cars, yes. More people walking, cycling, or using the streetcars.
Eh fairly empty right now of the others but my point was I don't see why everyone wants to dump so many resources into stopping the handful of violators that have a minimal effect if any on the street.

Well, that's the thing. They don't have people who ticket drivers for running red lights, blowing through stop signs or making illegal left turns. A few years ago they did find a bunch of people to stop pedestrians on Richmond and Adelaide, though I think that's mostly stopped now. I totally get that traffic may not be the highest priority, even though cars kill more people a year than murderers in Toronto, it's just where they prioritize.

Verbatim quote from a TPS officer to me this past summer: “I’m not supposed to say this, but we’re honestly pretty bored and kind of looking for stuff to do a lot of the time.”

I had to go for a walk to cool down.

• Sad
Reactions: max
Doesn't the rental agency eat it and have to charge the renter? Same as 407 tolls.
The rental agencies goes after the renter to pay the bill that gets added to your credit card at a later date. I have received invoices for US tolls when there is no toll booths to pay the toll in the first place and it has been charged to my card.

There is a cost for all parties trying to recovered the cost of that bill and is usually higher than than the bill in most cases, depending on the bill. In some cases, the renter has paid by cash and that becomes an issues to the point the bill is written off.

The street is EMPTY. I don't think a few taxis ore even sneaky passenger cars are causing any trouble.
That depends on the day of the week and the time of the day.. Regardless if the street is empty, obey the rules of the road or pay the price not doing it.

I guess you haven't watch the traffic on King much and if so, a lot more is taking place than you think.

Verbatim quote from a TPS officer to me this past summer: “I’m not supposed to say this, but we’re honestly pretty bored and kind of looking for stuff to do a lot of the time.”

What division was he? Traffic? was he doing paid duty? I could see it in those cases but there is always shit going down, and I doubt they'd leave an officer a few blocks away dealing with trouble on their own

If only there were traffic laws they could actually enforce for once to fill that time...

That would be ridiculous though.

What division was he? Traffic? was he doing paid duty? I could see it in those cases but there is always shit going down, and I doubt they'd leave an officer a few blocks away dealing with trouble on their own
Regular, paid duty, standing beside three other guys from the downtown division just hanging around. .

Regular, paid duty, standing beside three other guys from the downtown division just hanging around. .
Whoa!! you see officers standing around and doing don't. That a huge change from seeing no police vehicles or the odd of one handing out tickets from my experience. Have seen them follow illegal cars going through an intersection and never stop those drivers at all.

This is a huge problem with TPS - which I wouldn’t level at OPP, or any of the local Regional forces.

TPS has a huge “standing around” mentality. Sure they handle lots of high-adrenaline 911 calls….. but their tolerance for just standing around in groups is enormous. Even bicycle patrols and mounted patrols are often 3 or 4 person social events where 2 officers can handle the task.

I’m not a Defund the Police supporter, but there is ample evidence that TPS needs to change some things, and stopping the lollygagging and making yourself useful is top of my list.

- Paul

The Star shot video during rush hour on January 16, 2023, at Yonge and King Streets, showing how many driver were obeying the rules on the King Street transit priority corridor. Critics say a lack of enforcement calls into question the city’s ability to maintain a project that was once hailed as a transformative transit solution.
From link.

Also note the number of vehicles in the intersection caught on the red light, blocking traffic. Also note the number of vehicles blocking the pedestrian crosswalk in the intersection.

From link.

Also note the number of vehicles in the intersection caught on the red light, blocking traffic. Also note the number of vehicles blocking the pedestrian crosswalk in the intersection.
We should have a camera that tickets you if you're in the "box" but at the same time I get why people drive like that. I used to drive down university to get to the highway. And you'd maybe get 5 cars through a light cycle.
The issue was when your light is red, perpendicular traffic turns right and "fills" the lane. It's a shit scenario that has built a bad habit for lots of downtown drivers.

We should have a camera that tickets you if you're in the "box" but at the same time I get why people drive like that. I used to drive down university to get to the highway. And you'd maybe get 5 cars through a light cycle.
The issue was when your light is red, perpendicular traffic turns right and "fills" the lane. It's a shit scenario that has built a bad habit for lots of downtown drivers.
Another reason for getting the no right turn on red "suggestion".

Saying "suggestion" because it seems many take those laws, signs, signal lights, and road designs as "suggestions".

Last edited:

Back