News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

We should have a camera that tickets you if you're in the "box" but at the same time I get why people drive like that.
I thought you didn’t want automated camera enforcement a few messages back on King St., but now you want it if drivers block the box for other drivers?

Another reason for getting the no right turn on red "suggestion".

Saying "suggestion" because it seems many take those laws, signs, signal lights, and road designs as "suggestions".
I don't think that's what they're saying. The complain was that cross traffic was turning right on their green light and filling the lane beyond the intersection.

One problem with camera enforcement of vehicles blocking the intersection is camera angle would probably only capture either the first or last of multiple offending vehicles. There are others.

Another reason for getting the no right turn on red "suggestion".

Saying "suggestion" because it seems many take those laws, signs, signal lights, and road designs as "suggestions".
Maybe if it was during certain hours and only at problematic intersections. I visit a lot of parts of the city where it's banned due to development that will happen in 10+ years but isn't justified now.

Maybe if it was during certain hours and only at problematic intersections. I visit a lot of parts of the city where it's banned due to development that will happen in 10+ years but isn't justified now.
No, the answer for off periods is faster signal cycles, enabled by better signalling and intersection design.

This is a great way to mess up traffic flow, and also get people to distrust changes the city makes.
In Europe, when there is no traffic on a street, the traffic signals get shorten on that street. They don't stay green when there is no one, car, cyclist, or pedestrian coming along.

In Europe, when there is no traffic on a street, the traffic signals get shorten on that street. They don't stay green when there is no one, car, cyclist, or pedestrian coming along.
I have zero trust in them not screwing it up, literally every other city in the GTHA has figured out signal timing for one-way streets. You can drive in Hamilton and maybe go a reasonable speed you go very far before hitting the road. None of the one ways in Toronto or set up like that

I have zero trust in them not screwing it up, literally every other city in the GTHA has figured out signal timing for one-way streets. You can drive in Hamilton and maybe go a reasonable speed you go very far before hitting the road. None of the one ways in Toronto or set up like that
Or maybe green waves aren’t all that safe for pedestrians, because they encourage drivers to speed through that wave, and accelerate to catch that yellow.

Or maybe green waves aren’t all that safe for pedestrians, because they encourage drivers to speed through that wave, and accelerate to catch that yellow.
Pedestrians should watch then? When I ride a motorcycle I'm super vigilant because I know I'm the one more at risk. Should we eliminate dedicated turns and back up traffic more? That will cause people to be way more aggressive. We already have 2 or 3 cars turn left on a red in most intersections.

Pedestrians should watch then? When I ride a motorcycle I'm super vigilant because I know I'm the one more at risk. Should we eliminate dedicated turns and back up traffic more? That will cause people to be way more aggressive. We already have 2 or 3 cars turn left on a red in most intersections.
You do know that this fundamentally incentivizes everyone to drive larger cars and safer cars, increasing traffic - even for short distances.

People should watch, but designing your downtown roads and signals so that the most dangerous form of traffic gets priority and can build up speed (thus becoming more dangerous in the process) is laughably stupid ‘planning’.

You want to drive fast, maybe downtown isn’t the place to do it.

You do know that this fundamentally incentivizes everyone to drive larger cars and safer cars, increasing traffic - even for short distances.
Have you seen the cars on the road that's already happened.

I feel so many people here are detached from reality. Nobody gives a shit about your personal safety, the police don't, other drivers don't, the only person looking after you all the time is yourself. You gotta be vigilant.

Doesn't the rental agency eat it and have to charge the renter? Same as 407 tolls.

Yes. Back when I had a ZipCar membership, I got dinged for a red light camera ticket in Washington DC, though I was proceeding on the legal movement and not the left turn, which was red. It took me a month to get the ticket notice and webpage with the photo and video from ZipCar, which gave me almost no time to issue my notice of objection. ZipCar also charged me an administrative fee that was refunded when DC finally withdrew the ticket

You gotta be vigilant.
I'm not saying you should be slapdash about your own personal safety, but there are a lot of people for whom this isn't an option.

The elderly or mentally challenged do not have the luxury of quick reaction times, or weaving in and out of traffic like a cat. I don't care for any urbanist vision that doesn't take these groups into account.

Back