News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

1675000309905.png

Exceptions can be made. Jack Layton is a prime example.

He wasn't a minister, prime minister or Governor general. He was however given a state funeral.

I was there, I am 100% certain it was a state funeral.

The Government of Canada would only have to extend the offer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_and_state_funeral_of_Jack_Layton
Leader of the opposition at a federal level. I doubt the PM would start using their discretion for local dignitaries. There are many small towns where mayors have been in place for a long time too -- granted, Hazel is most likely the longest -- but it's a slippery slope to start going down.

Leader of the opposition at a federal level. I doubt the PM would start using their discretion for local dignitaries. There are many small towns where mayors have been in place for a long time too -- granted, Hazel is most likely the longest -- but it's a slippery slope to start going down.

True. How many Mayors are Order of Canada recipients and have former prime ministers come to their retirement gala however?

Not to mention she was likely one of the best known Mayors in recent Canadian history. She was also known around the world.

I am not suggesting we give every podunk mayor a state funeral but this wasn't any ordinary mayor.

Simply put, she was heavily active in Provincial and Federal politics for years. More to the point she was made Chancellor of Sheridan College.

How many mayors have her credentials?

I have no doubt that if she was younger, she would have been made Governor General, Lieutenant Governor or an Ambassador.

"The road to hell ..." and all that!

True. How many Mayors are Order of Canada recipients and have former prime ministers come to their retirement gala however?

Not to mention she was likely one of the best known Mayors in recent Canadian history. She was also known around the world.

I am not suggesting we give every podunk mayor a state funeral but this wasn't any ordinary mayor.

Simply put, she was heavily active in Provincial and Federal politics for years. More to the point she was made Chancellor of Sheridan College.

How many mayors have her credentials?

I have no doubt that if she was younger, she would have been made Governor General, Lieutenant Governor or an Ambassador.

Not sure what about being the Chancellor of Sheridan College warrants a state funeral.

AoD

In one of the other threads that @Richard White posted this news in, @ShonTron chimed in with his sentiments on Hazel's passing.

Some may have found them harsh.

But I offer one I saw online today that makes Shontron's comments seem, well timid may be a bit too far.......

1675041569210.png

I can't speak to the above, as this is the first I've heard of this situation.........

All I can say is that its a not uncommon take I'm seeing today on various social feeds (though the specifics will vary)

In one of the other threads that @Richard White posted this news in, @ShonTron chimed in with his sentiments on Hazel's passing.

Some may have found them harsh.

But I offer one I saw online today that makes Shontron's comments seem, well timid may be a bit too far.......

View attachment 453191

I can't speak to the above, as this is the first I've heard of this situation.........

All I can say is that its a not uncommon take I'm seeing today on various social feeds (though the specifics will vary)

I believe that was the case where a cyclist was bumped off the Burnhamthrope Credit River bridge by traffic.

AoD

From the Government of Canada website (not Wiki):

Who is entitled to a state funeral?
It has been the practice for the Government of Canada to offer a state funeral to present and former governors general, present and former prime ministers and sitting members of the Ministry. In addition, any eminent Canadian may be offered a state funeral at the discretion of the Prime Minister.

The PM has the discretion to offer one to anybody. I highly doubt he will. In my opinion, she did not represent or participate in the machinery of the Crown (State).

Apparently the Mayor of Milton has been in office longer (although he is still alive, precluding for now any discussion of a funeral).

Jack Layton was at least a Member of Parliament and the leader of HMLO.

Back