News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

The DIC has everything to do with this project as they would be neighbours.
This project if constructed is no closer to the DIC than Bosa's towers in East Village. The DIC was there before Bosa's developments and obviously did not alter their decision to move forward. We have not heard anything about Great Gulf delaying their project until a decision was made on the DIC. The reason that Great Gulf put their project on hold was and still is that market conditions for new condo sales are very poor in Calgary.
All I am saying is that the discussion about the location of the DIC belongs in the Calgary Homeless thread... not in this one!

Last edited:
Depending what happens on the west end of the DIC site, I feel this project will have more of a connection to the DIC. Bosa does interface the DIC on the NE corner, which is the epicenter of sketchiness, I'm curious how that has affected residents and potential sales for that site.

We can have a discussion about the DIC specifically in the thread you mention, but it's definitely relevant here as well, so I'm not sure we can dismiss it so quickly.

This project if constructed is no closer to the DIC than Bosa's towers in East Village. The DIC was there before Bosa's developments and obviously did not alter their decision to move forward. We have not heard anything about Great Gulf delaying their project until a decision was made on the DIC. The reason that Great Gulf put their project on hold was and still is that market conditions for new condo sales are very poor in Calgary.
All I am saying is that the discussion about the location of the DIC belongs in the Calgary Homeless thread... not in this one!
I don't know if location is involved in Great Gulf's decision or not, it's hard to say without having some inside info. The condo market has been struggling, but condo projects which have been marketed to investors have sold well. First and Park, Minto Bridgeland, and Gallery on 10th, all sold out easily without any real marketing other than the Ontario investor website. Nude and Frontier seem to also be in the same category, though I don't know if those projects are fully sold out. either way they sold enough to build. The projects all share the fact that it's mostly out of town investors, but they also share the fact that the locations are better. Selling units in a building located close to the DIC is going to have some effect, even for outside investors. how much is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

The project is still on their website. Does not look like there is any investor 'reach out' so I would say that their plan is still to market it to local condo buyers when the market outlook improves.

I don't think investors are buying up everything like they were last summer, higher interest rates and the threat of a recession seem to be inspiring people to hold onto their money.

One could argue the DIC's presence has kneecapped the East Village. I know people who have lived there for years and are now moving out because of the DIC.
It has 100% kneecapped EV's development. When EV was first starting out I considered buying there but through reasons un-related to the DIC, I didn't. As time has gone on and I've seen what's become of EV, I'm glad I didn't and I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy there right now. A potential buyer has all kinds of good choices of inner city areas. All of them have some issues of homelessness and crime of course, but none of them are the zombie wasteland EV is. If the city was serious about getting EV off the ground they would have moved the DIC. I know it's easier than done, but there must be a location better than the current one.

What location could possibly be better than where it's been located for decades now? What neighbourhood in this nimby-riddled city wouldn't have a general uprising at the mere mention of it being located there? The only suggestion I've heard where there might not be an uprising would be one of the industrial areas, except that such a proposal is absurd as it would remove users of the DIC from the core services they require, further dispersing unhoused and addicted people throughout downtown rather than their current concentration close to the DIC. It literally can't be moved.

What location could possibly be better than where it's been located for decades now? What neighbourhood in this nimby-riddled city wouldn't have a general uprising at the mere mention of it being located there? The only suggestion I've heard where there might not be an uprising would be one of the industrial areas, except that such a proposal is absurd as it would remove users of the DIC from the core services they require, further dispersing unhoused and addicted people throughout downtown rather than their current concentration close to the DIC. It literally can't be moved.
It would have to be an industrial area to avoid nimby opposition, but what’s actually stopping at from being in an industrial area?
What are these core services that the people require, besides the Chumir’s safe injection site? Moving the safe injection site to a location right next to the drop in centre might actually be better than the current set up.
As far as transportation goes, there are some industrial locations up in the Northeast not far from the Barlow LRT. Somebody mentioned the Herald building as a possibility, that would be fairly close to transportation.

Why not give everyone a one way bus ticket to Edmonton?

Hide it away in some industrial district so that we can forget about our societal failures, well, unless you happen to take that LRT. How long until you hear people speak out over the declining safety on that LRT.? There could be a more accessible location with better amenities than the East Village location outside the core and near an industrial area. The suggestion here puts emphasis on hiding people from view which is just plain cold.

Whatever effect on real estate values will be inherited as the facility predates development. Many will choose to live next to it if it means paying a little less as they do everywhere. Development continues in the East Village.. There's a 43 storey tower under construction with as many units as three mid rises. There's not more towers because of the market..

Why not give everyone a one way bus ticket to Edmonton?

Hide it away in some industrial district so that we can forget about our societal failures, well, unless you happen to take that LRT. How long until you hear people speak out over the declining safety on that LRT.? There could be a more accessible location with better amenities than the East Village location outside the core and near an industrial area. The suggestion here puts emphasis on hiding people from view which is just plain cold.

Whatever effect on real estate values will be inherited as the facility predates development. Many will choose to live next to it if it means paying a little less as they do everywhere. Development continues in the East Village.. There's a 43 storey tower under construction with as many units as three mid rises. There's not more towers because of the market..
I agree, that moving the DIC and some other facilities out of the core to industrial area does feel like it is hiding people out of sight but I don’t have an issue with that.

There’s no law that says homeless people have to be treated in a downtown core.
We’ve had that line of thinking for decades not just here in Calgary but other North American cities and as a result, we have issues with crime in the downtown cores of all these cities, while at the same time, trying to promote people living in the core.
High towers will continue to get built in East Village, and other places like the beltline, etc. but those neighbourhoods could be so much better, and could develop and flourish far better if we adjusted are thinking.

I would ask this, give one good reason why the support and treatment of homeless people has to be in the core of a city. There’s no law anywhere that says you must only treat homeless people in the core of a city, it can be done anywhere, rehab facilities, for example aren’t always located in the core of the city, sometimes they’re out of the city altogether.

This is why we can't have anything nice. I've really began observing just how much our public and even privatized spaces are built around minimizing damage from the homeless and drug addicts. The lack of public amenities and the poor quality of them are mostly attributed to these people.
They're not only a massive burden on our society, but we also lay consequence to ourselves on top of this. It's not fair, nor is it right.

After reading his rationale -- I argue lack of societal shame, lack of culture, lack of collectivism, a poor justice system, and poor uplifting resources and policies are contributing factors.

Last edited:
You hit the hammer on the nail JBi. The same people who ardently push for more downtown density and more people living downtown are also the same people who want the Drop in centre and related treatment facilities to be downtown.
And then they wonder why a large number of people are choosing the suburbs. The math couldn’t be any more simpler, either you make downtown livable got the homeless or you make it livable for the average person.

Hey, I’d love to live downtown in a neighbourhood like East Village or Beltline but there’s no chance in hell I would ever move my family there. It’s 100% not an area liveable for families.

The same people who ardently push for more downtown density and more people living downtown are also the same people who want the Drop in centre and related treatment facilities to be downtown.
My thoughts too, and I said the same thing in the homeless people thread. All those people who are advocating for the drop in Centre to remain downtown or in EV, I wonder how many of them would be willing to live across from the drop in Centre or move their families there? The problem is, none of those people put their money where their mouth is, and instead we’re stuck with a downtown with crime issues and other undesirable elements because some people don’t want to offend the feelings of the homeless.

In the past I never would have agreed but since having kids that’s changed. The last time I visited the central library (pre covid) in addition to some sketchiness near the bathrooms some of the furniture on the second level smelled like a dumpster. I’m not trying to be judgemental, it was so foul that I’d be surprised if it was even cleanable.

But while the DIC makes for an easy target my experiences with homeless / druggies etc. DT stretch all the way to Century Gardens and also the Devonian Gardens. Basically anywhere along the lrt lines sees some degree of sketchy people. Chinook station is getting bad. Also my brother in law was a manager of a store in Dalhousie that routinely had to get hazmat teams to come clean the bathroom when homless junkies would have knife fights in it.

So not sure what the solution is, but I understand the issues with the DIC and families nearby. I mean the encampment across the street during covid got busted and was filled with weapons and drugs and it even spilled into the Garden Hilton at the other end.

Back