There’s a couple of vacant retail locations in the Skywalk, I remember back when the UP Express opened there was a shop that’s now closed down, but I can’t find any photos of it. Another vacant spot is used as an employee lounge for one of the companies in Union.
I’m surprised these locations aren’t occupied, as there’s always a constant stream of people heading through for sports games or the CN Tower.
That walkway was to be a retail area, but it sure empty out over time to zero being there other than UPX and the fitness centre. Find very few ppl using it outside Blue Jay Games or an event at the stadium.
I remember the sports cards/memorabilia shop in the walkway

Yep, in the 90s I recall a convenience store, some sort of bakery (maybe a Mr. Fields?), and a couple souvenir shops.

I could have swore it was as well.

Who here remembers the 1980s and 1990s era shops in the skywalk? I distinctly remember a pizza place midway down just past where the UPexpress station is now towards Bremner.
yeah always bought food there after the game if it was an afternoon game

There's no real need to announce a tiny garbage can fire that has practically zero chance of spreading.
Idk! There were employees SCREAMING to evacuate the building. It was completely unclear what was happening, seems like an announcement would be logical.

Now imagine if there was 6+ Alarm fire in the buidling lol

Looking at how much of an impact one escalator taken out of service had in the Bay Concourse for the past week, it's probably best not to think too hard about it. But hey, at least the doors to the subway will still close automatically (and with some luck - as I must say with experience - occasionally locked).

AoD

Permit News:

1675363941964.png

Lower Concourse entrance to Union Station from Brookfield Place. I wonder how many buckets they have gone through over the years?

A3D37598-8729-452F-9616-15EDF349CD86.jpeg

I think this is one of the leaks that is holding up the schedule for replacing the “heritage” jersey barriers from being replaced with some more aesthetically pleasing.

Is 2023 the year of the design, construction, budgeting or cutting of such said barriers?

Lower Concourse entrance to Union Station from Brookfield Place. I wonder how many buckets they have gone through over the years?

View attachment 454104
I think this is one of the leaks that is holding up the schedule for replacing the “heritage” jersey barriers from being replaced with some more aesthetically pleasing.

Is 2023 the year of the design, construction, budgeting or cutting of such said barriers?
No doubt the umpteenth year for 'planning' and the (inevitable) postponing while we beg the Province and/or the Feds to pay for it etc etc. I actually think the work being planned is at WEST side of the main Union Station doors and is to waterproof the 'areaways' below that sidewalk. Of course, the whole area along Front was excavated prior to the Pan-Am Games and this should have been done then but, hey, "it's only money". Sad!!

The ramp between Union Station and 25 York Street will close on February 8
gotransit.com
I have a terribly low quality clip here of the new route from the Great Hall:

Getting to Maple Leaf Square during an event at the area just got interesting.

Is there no longer going to be an exit into 25 York or is this just temporary?

The ramp between Union Station and 25 York Street will close on February 8
gotransit.com
I have a terribly low quality clip here of the new route from the Great Hall:
If the City / Metrolinx were smart, they'd hire Ed to do multiple walkthrough videos like this for multiple origins / destinations through the station, and embed them on the station's website. This was super helpful.

If the City / Metrolinx were smart, they'd hire Ed to do multiple walkthrough videos like this for multiple origins / destinations through the station, and embed them on the station's website. This was super helpful.
I thought about that a few months ago, QR codes could even be on the wayfinding that would link to the videos.

Update from the City's Manager of the Union Station building.

The Walks & Gardens artwork which is to be installed in the passageway below the 'plaza' (which is currently closed.: "We are working actively with the artists to undertake necessary updates and logistics planning for FLUX. We look forward to this being installed this year." See: https://www.lab-au.com/flux

The ceiling of the area below the Great Hall: "I do not have any updates on the ceiling. This is currently with our project management office."

Update from the City's Manager of the Union Station building.

The Walks & Gardens artwork which is to be installed in the passageway below the 'plaza' (which is currently closed.: "We are working actively with the artists to undertake necessary updates and logistics planning for FLUX. We look forward to this being installed this year." See: https://www.lab-au.com/flux

The ceiling of the area below the Great Hall: "I do not have any updates on the ceiling. This is currently with our project management office."

Good for you for persisting; it really is appreciated!

For the life of, that area below the Great Hall might be the most unforgivable of oversights for how comparatively easy a fix it is.........

Any recent updates on the Great Hall lighting?

Back