News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I recall Karen Stintz in 2011 proposing a short extension to Consumers Road and/or Victoria Park. Given the amount of development that is occurring in the area, is there an economic case to be made?

I recall Karen Stintz in 2011 proposing a short extension to Consumers Road and/or Victoria Park. Given the amount of development that is occurring in the area, is there an economic case to be made?

Yes.

This is the most promising portion the line for a variety of reasons.

It is already, and remains an employment node; it intersects an extremely busy corridor in VP; its now going to become a major residential node; and there is no good way to get buses expeditiously across the DVP/404 interchange, nor will surface LRT be able to do so, which means even an LRT would be underground to Consumers Road.

It is conceivable, that you could just get a couple of additional trainsets and making that extension function w/o a new yard or direct connection to Wilson, any larger, and that is almost certainly not feasible, triggering the need for something much larger to the east or west to provide that MSF access for the line.

Last edited:
Yes.

This is the most promising portion the line for a variety of reasons.

It is already, and remains and employment node; it intersects an extremely busy corridor in VP; its now going to become a major residential node; and there is no good way to get buses expeditiously across the DVP/404 interchange, nor will surface LRT be able to do so, which means even an LRT would be underground to Consumers Road.

It is conceivable, that you could just get a couple of additional trainsets and making that extension function w/o a new yard or direct connection to Wilson, any larger, and that is almost certainly not feasible, triggering the need for something much larger to the east or west to provide that MSF access for the line.
In my previous life, when we built the TBMs for Eglinton, we advanced the first two (of four) to initially dig from Don Mills to Vic Park, as a part of Sheppard LRT, before being sent down to Eglinton. When that was canned, the machines sat finished in our shop for 1+ years until Eglinton was ready for them as I recall.

Any new reports on Sheppard? Is it still in the vague promise of a 6-car underground line? Nothing will be built if that's the case. But I guess the promise of building it is what's important...

Any new reports on Sheppard? Is it still in the vague promise of a 6-car underground line? Nothing will be built if that's the case. But I guess the promise of building it is what's important...
Nothing new besides rumblings that there is some early engineering work being done by the province, so it is likely one of the next RT projects to be announced.

Is the Sheppard extension going to be its own line or an extension of the existing line?

I would prefer to see the original line converted to LRT and then extended but wonderings what ML is thinking

Is the Sheppard extension going to be its own line or an extension of the existing line?

I would prefer to see the original line converted to LRT and then extended but wonderings what ML is thinking
What are the chances of converting Sheppard to a 3rd rail version of the Ontario Line? Do we save any money there for future extensions? Is the cost worth it?

What are the chances of converting Sheppard to a 3rd rail version of the Ontario Line? Do we save any money there for future extensions? Is the cost worth it?
Just changing the rolling stock to match the OL will not do anything. The REM's Alstom Metropolis rolling stock is customizable for example and can look and function like a TR. It will not save any money just to get new trains. (The TRs technically support automation and platform screen doors)
If you are talking about increasing the potential to elevate the line, the TRs can do that on Sheppard if Metrolinx decides to. The chances are meager though. I personally like the idea. Toronto Rockets need more space for the grade changes than trains like the REM from what I understand. On a reasonably straight route with wide station spacing like Sheppard, it is possible to go above ground. 6 car stations might be large and it is unpopular in Canada to build stations on top of streets.
The bottom line is it is technically possible to go in either direction but that just depends on political will. Nobody saw the OL and REM coming so there is always a chance for a surprise.

To Line 2's McCowan & Sheppard Station in the east, and maybe Line 1's Sheppard West Station in the west. An LRT east of McCowan.
The eastern extension seems to be on the province's radar, but no indication they are seriously interested in extending to Sheppard West.

LRT is dead on Sheppard - it will be a subway extension

Correct.

The eastern extension seems to be on the province's radar, but no indication they are seriously interested in extending to Sheppard West.

Maybe correct. A Sheppard East extension will require either a new MSF (mostly likely on CP's Toronto (Agincourt Yard) or a direct connnection to Wilson Yard, the latter requires Sheppard West to be built. Both would involve significant new off-route (off of Sheppard East) trackage to be built, we will see what comes of the ongoing conceptual work.

Said work gets passing mention only in the TTC's latest Transit Network Expansion Update which is on the agenda for next week's Board Mtg.

Report link here: https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...b8aee19&hash=D07E53E6B23D3A5C93A779AA4C87172C

Relevant bit:

1677100455684.png

1677100476709.png

Last edited:
What would stops look like,

Consumers / VP / Warden / Kennedy/Go / McCowan ??

Obviously I would like it to go to Markham or Morningside, but I doubt that happens.

I can also see them bypassing McCowan and just going to STC after Kennedy

Correct.

Maybe correct. A Sheppard East extension will require either a new MSF (mostly likely on CP's Toronto (Agincourt Yard) or a direct connnection to Wilson Yard, the latter requires Sheppard West to be built. Both would involve significant new off-route (off of Sheppard East) trackage to be built, we will see what comes of the ongoing conceptual work.

Said work gets passing mention only in the TTC's latest Transit Network Expansion Update which is on the agenda for next week's Board Mtg.

Report link here: https://ttc-cdn.azureedge.net/-/med...b8aee19&hash=D07E53E6B23D3A5C93A779AA4C87172C

Relevant bit:

View attachment 458139
View attachment 458140
seems like there is lots of industrial space between Brimley and McCowan

seems like there is lots of industrial space between Brimley and McCowan

There's about 13ha (about the same size as Greenwood Yard), if you take everything but the Canadian Tire site in the Brimley to McCowan, Sheppard to CP block.

That is plausible; though its a fair chunk of tax revenue that goes away, both current and potential. The CT site is already heading to mixed-use redevelopment......

Those lands would be MTSA. That would make them an expensive pick-up, and definitely not highest and best use if they are a subway yard.

Putting towers over the yard is certainly possible, however, it does reduce storage space as columns and supports are required, and prepping the yard for that initially would drive up costs.

Its plausible, but an unlikely play, I think. CP's Yard has the room now, however, accessing it (given that the yard is well north/east of the potential Line 4 is not a small matter; and they'd have to come to Terms with CP as well. )

Back