News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think Scarborough should have every last cent of transit funds. Forget about Ontario line west. Forget about finch west lrt extension. Forget about connecting sheppard to sheppard west. Forget about waterfront transit. Every last cent to Scarborough. Despite being utopia it has been neglected for years. Now the entire GTA can see how great Scarborough is.

Sixrings. A former Scarborough resident.

Damn it. Every single person in Scarborough deserves a subway station at their door front. No matter if they live in an apartment, a semi, a town house, a detached or in the zoo. A subway station for everyone.
Constantly dissing Scarborough every few days isn't going to get you subway to Mississauga. Just saying. Your efforts will be better spent lobbying your municipal government.

Deadpool X. A former Scarborough resident and a current Mississauga resident, just like you.

Just changing the rolling stock to match the OL will not do anything. The REM's Alstom Metropolis rolling stock is customizable for example and can look and function like a TR. It will not save any money just to get new trains. (The TRs technically support automation and platform screen doors)
If you are talking about increasing the potential to elevate the line, the TRs can do that on Sheppard if Metrolinx decides to. The chances are meager though. I personally like the idea. Toronto Rockets need more space for the grade changes than trains like the REM from what I understand. On a reasonably straight route with wide station spacing like Sheppard, it is possible to go above ground. 6 car stations might be large and it is unpopular in Canada to build stations on top of streets.
The bottom line is it is technically possible to go in either direction but that just depends on political will. Nobody saw the OL and REM coming so there is always a chance for a surprise.
Yes, I was thinking about how we can make it easier to elevate or run on the surface.

Constantly dissing Scarborough every few days isn't going to get you subway to Mississauga. Just saying. Your efforts will be better spent lobbying your municipal government.

Deadpool X. A former Scarborough resident and a current Mississauga resident, just like you.
Hey I love Scarborough. But I do question the way we spend our few transit dollars. I don’t expect a subway to Mississauga but it would be nice to have all day service on the Milton line. To be clear if I still lived in Toronto I would think this is not the best way to spend money if not downright dumb. We’re here talking about throwing good money after bad. And we’re not talking about throwing a few bucks we’re talking about a few billion. I am guessing the people who visit this page are in favour of this but the eglinton east lrt, finch lrt page, waterfront lrt page should be outraged.

Hey I love Scarborough. But I do question the way we spend our few transit dollars. I don’t expect a subway to Mississauga but it would be nice to have all day service on the Milton line. To be clear if I still lived in Toronto I would think this is not the best way to spend money if not downright dumb. We’re here talking about throwing good money after bad. And we’re not talking about throwing a few bucks we’re talking about a few billion. I am guessing the people who visit this page are in favour of this but the eglinton east lrt, finch lrt page, waterfront lrt page should be outraged.
You could say the same about Yonge extension or Crosstown West extension which are both underground and could have been elevated but for some reason you post a sarcastic comment on this thread every few days. After a point, it becomes a distraction. This extension is going to be underground and we can't change that, TBMs have already started boring.

So, I suggest moving on and being happy with the fact that at least we are getting something after decades of no action and 1-stop, 3-stop debates.

You could say the same about Yonge extension or Crosstown West extension which are both underground and could have been elevated but for some reason you post a sarcastic comment on this thread every few days. After a point, it becomes a distraction. This extension is going to be underground and we can't change that, TBMs have already started boring.

So, I suggest moving on and being happy with the fact that at least we are getting something after decades of no action and 1-stop, 3-stop debates.
I did say the same thing in both those cases. Your argument is we made mistake one and two so why not three? I’m happy we’re finally spending money on transit. But it’s a big city and the resources should be spread out. I’m very confused why this sheppard thing. Is such a priority. If we’re extending the danforth and we’re building a long version of the Ontario line then I don’t see any evidence this is needed other than it looks nice on a map.

Reactions: T3G
My argument is not that. My argument is whether mistake or not, SSE is going underground and that ship has sailed long ago. It's not worth worrying about spilled milk.
If you’re talking in 2060 after finch is extended the way it should be. After waterfront gets its transit which is needed. After the Ontario line is fully built out both east and west. And after we see the impacts of how the go stops at Kennedy, sheppard, finch combined with the Scarborough extension work then sure I won’t have anything to say. But until then I don’t think we should assume that this is something we must build just because we made a mistake years earlier.

LRT is dead on Sheppard -
It isn't dead. But the location where it transitions from subway to LRT has shifted further east.

TTC issued a report today updating various transit projects, and for Line 7 (Eglinton East) they noted that they are working on the TPAP and the 10% design, including "the Sheppard Avenue segment from Neilson Road to McCowan Road" and that an "updated Initial Business Case and Class 4 cost estimate will be provided to City Council in Q3 2023".

(I'm not sure why it stops at Neilson - if the Line 7 yard is still at Conlins, then it would go at least as far as Morningside).

Steve Munro reported today that service on the Sheppard Line "will be cut from 4 trains at all times to 3 with a corresponding widening of headways from 5’30” to 7’20”."

It is hard to see an extension of this line with just a few stops, requiring a robust parallel bus service and a new yard, as a high priority or a good use of limited funds.

Steve Munro reported today that service on the Sheppard Line "will be cut from 4 trains at all times to 3 with a corresponding widening of headways from 5’30” to 7’20”."

It is hard to see an extension of this line with just a few stops, requiring a robust parallel bus service and a new yard, as a high priority or a good use of limited funds.
In order for this to work, they will have to do the whole thing from Sheppard West to McCowan. At least you hit the other two lines.

Sheppard East has some of the highest development potentials in all of Toronto. If the government is serious about housing, they would build a subway quickly and let the condo towers rise. It might even attract some businesses away from places like Mississauga to the consumers road business park.

Cost would be less of an issue if we did elevated. And Sheppard East is plenty wide enough for a moderate elevated structure. Hell, losing some lanes and reduced width for remaining lanes would make the street more welcoming for pedestrians.
If it's wide enough, they can also easily do cut-and-cover east from Victoria Park. The section between Don Mills and Victoria Park will definitely be tunnel bored.

On one thread someone is ripping me for not agreeing with expropriation in order to build affordable housing. On another thread the same person is agreeing with spending billions of dollars on an unneeded subway extension.

Back