News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's very disappointing. This was a once in a generation opportunity, because whoever gets elected will likely continue for many terms based on name recognition alone. There isn't likely a "next time".

I find the whole "I want to be a present parent thing" a bit odd. If I was an 18 year-old who found out that my dad refused the chance to be the mayor of one of the world's most prominent cities just to be around, I'd be pissed.
I don't blame him at all. He grew up as the kid of a prominent politician. He may not want that same life for his kids -- and things are different now with all of the social media and everyone happy to make any little nugget of info (true or not) go viral.

And that future 18 year old may feel amazingly special that her dad gave up an opportunity in order to be a more present parent. I did that as a young parent and don't regret it for an instant. My kids have never said "you should have ...".

Yeah, I don't blame him at all. If I was in a position to not have to work and spend extra time with my two young kids, I would take it in an instant. I've given up on promotions and move ups precisely because I don't want to be at work one second more than I have to. And sure, they won't care when they're 18. Maybe they'll care when they're 28 or 38, and even if they don't, I care, which is more than enough for me.

As for next time, yeah, it's not coming for at least 7-11 years, unless the new mayor has a crack tape (and even then, who knows). It gives others a chance to shine.

With Tenycke backing Bradford and Kouvalis on Bailio, sounds like they are trying to cover all their bases. Easier to fight off a left-wing candidate if they have the chance to define it as a two-person race.

I hope that whoever will be the next mayor will give pedestrians (cyclists and public transit) a higher priority than the single-occupant motor vehicles.

There are still snow windrows blocking crosswalks. People were able to wear the windrows down a bit, but we are expecting another snowstorm that will be piled over the ice windrows we currently have.

This are on Annette Street today (March 2, 2023)...
1677780105184.png
1677780135379.png

Matlow is likely the only guy left on the opposition who could make a go of it. He has some serious flaws: he has few friends on council, and his housing policy record isn’t great. But he is hugely popular in his ward, he’s sharp, and he’s great on a lot of issues, like transit and accountability.

In a choice between Bailao, Bradford, and Matlow, Matlow would be my first choice.

Matlow is likely the only guy left on the opposition who could make a go of it. He has some serious flaws: he has few friends on council, and his housing policy record isn’t great. But he is hugely popular in his ward, he’s sharp, and he’s great on a lot of issues, like transit and accountability.

In a choice between Bailao, Bradford, and Matlow, Matlow would be my first choice.
Hunter

But yeah, right now it's shaping up as a Bradford coronation.

To me, Matlow is like Ford in a way that he is an effective councillor for the area of the city he represents. He is loved there and easily gets re-elected. I get why Matlow is so well liked by his residents.

I'm a centre-right type of person and I can admit that Rob Ford was not a good mayor. He was never the type of person who should be given a leadership role like mayor. Popular local councillor but terrible mayor. If Matlow becomes mayor, it wouldn't shock me if he becomes a poorly effective head of council. You are right that he is very flawed, he doesn't have too many friends on council, and I would expect him to pick lots of fights with others and especially picking fights with the Ontario PC government. Regardless of if you like or hate the current Ontario government, Doug Ford and his team will be here for the next few years and there is a decent chance they will win again in 2026. I would rather have someone like Ana Bailao or Brad Bradford who would at least attempt to work with the provincial government. Heck, I think Mitzie Hunter would be a more effective mayor for the city instead of Matlow.

Ana Bailao for Mayor of Toronto. That's who I'm backing at the moment.

Last edited:
People keep saying that Matlow "doesn't have a lot of friends on Council." OK, I now want to know WHY he doesn't have a lot of friends. Is it because of his positions or is it his personality?

To me, Matlow is like Ford in a way that he is an effective councillor for the area of the city he represents. He is loved there and easily gets re-elected. I get why Matlow is so well liked by his residents.

I'm a centre-right type of person and I can admit that Rob Ford was not a good mayor. He was never the type of person who should be given a leadership role like mayor. Popular local councillor but terrible mayor. If Matlow becomes mayor, it wouldn't shock me if he becomes a poorly effective head of council. You are right that he is very flawed, he doesn't have too many friends on council, and I would expect him to pick lots of fights with others and especially picking fights with the Ontario PC government. Regardless of if you like or hate the current Ontario government, Doug Ford and his team will be here for the next few years and there is a decent chance they will win again in 2026. I would rather have someone like Ana Bailao or Brad Bradford who would at least attempt to work with the provincial government. Heck, I think Mitzie Hunter would be a more effective mayor for the city instead of Matlow.

Ana Bailao for Mayor of Toronto. That's who I'm backing at the moment.

Choosing to work with Kouvalis is a litmus test of ethics and judgement. Knocks her out for me.

Choosing to work with Kouvalis is a litmus test of ethics and judgement. Knocks her out for me.

I don't like him either. However, he does know how to win and what works. If he isn't Bailao's righthand man on the campaign but more on the sidelines being an advisor who just chimes in on campaign plans for time-to-time, I can live with it.

People keep saying that Matlow "doesn't have a lot of friends on Council." OK, I now want to know WHY he doesn't have a lot of friends. Is it because of his positions or is it his personality?

Yep, it’s both. Also, the establishment left don’t like him partly because he’s a Liberal – though a very different Liberal than Bradford or Grimes. Matlow also questions staff a lot, something that Perks especially doesn’t do. I think that questioning and challenging senior staff can be a good thing, with reasonable limits.

I can’t claim any disappointment that Layton’s not running.

Oh for a charismatic left candidate. There are none.

Oh Cressy, please change your mind.

Guys, I'm not "blaming" Layton. I just said I found the excuse a bit odd, given that he'd be far from the only parent to make a sacrifice. To me, "I don't feel like it" is a good enough reason anyway.

Maybe Kristyn Wong-Tam? Can one run without resigning the provincial chair?

Guys, I'm not "blaming" Layton. I just said I found the excuse a bit odd, given that he'd be far from the only parent to make a sacrifice. To me, "I don't feel like it" is a good enough reason anyway.

Maybe Kristyn Wong-Tam? Can one run without resigning the provincial chair?

Note for MPs, MPPs and senators​

If you are an MP, MPP or senator, you may file your nomination for municipal or school board office without resigning your current seat in parliament, the legislature or the senate. However, you must resign your seat by the close of nominations. If you are a federal or provincial cabinet minister, you must step down from cabinet prior to filing your nomination and must resign your seat by the close of nominations.

If you have not resigned by nomination day, your nomination will be rejected and your name will not appear on the ballot.

Back