News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bad Badford says he wants change at City Hall, but his advisory committee includes Karen Stintz, Kory Teneycke, Jamie Watt (Navigator), Brian Teefy (StrategyCorp), Barbara Fox (Enterprise Canada), a Liberal Party strategist and the chair of Civic Action.

The old back room gang.

I'm no fan of Brad, but it's a sharp political decision to come out with a who's who list of lobbyists and strategists right out the gates. His team is trying to convince possible centrist or right wing competitors (Bailao, Hunter, Saunders, etc.) that the Bay Street political movers and shakers have united behind their candidate, and not to bother throwing your hat in the ring.

I still wouldn't discount Bailao, assuming she has Kouvalis in her corner. After all, Kouvalis is 4/4 in Toronto mayoral campaigns.

I'm no fan of Brad, but it's a sharp political decision to come out with a who's who list of lobbyists and strategists right out the gates. His team is trying to convince possible centrist or right wing competitors (Bailao, Hunter, Saunders, etc.) that the Bay Street political movers and shakers have united behind their candidate, and not to bother throwing your hat in the ring.

I still wouldn't discount Bailao, assuming she has Kouvalis in her corner. After all, Kouvalis is 4/4 in Toronto mayoral campaigns.

Sharp, it maybe - but the past decade is a pretty damning indictment of the performance of these family compact candidates.

AoD

I have no doubt that Ana Bailao is jumping in, Mitzie Hunter is likely. With Nick Kouvalis behind Ana Bailao's possible mayoral run, I do fully expect her to become a serious contender. Whether you like him or not, Kouvalis is good at what he does.

The name I'm waiting to hear is Mike Layton. If he gets in, I think the left will rally around him quickly. If it's a Layton vs Bailao vs Hunter vs Bradford fight, it wouldn't shock me if Layton wins it.

I have no doubt that Ana Bailao is jumping in, Mitzie Hunter is likely. With Nick Kouvalis behind Ana Bailao's possible mayoral run, I do fully expect her to become a serious contender. Whether you like him or not, Kouvalis is good at what he does.

The name I'm waiting to hear is Mike Layton. If he gets in, I think the left will rally around him quickly. If it's a Layton vs Bailao vs Hunter vs Bradford fight, it wouldn't shock me if Layton wins it.

It’ll be Layton or Matlow. Layton — if he runs — will be a more reluctant candidate because of his young family but he’d be a good one.

While I'm sharing..........I don't think I've heard Brad talk publicly about his Wife's occupation much. To be clear, I don't believe in picking on pol's spouses; I don't know his wife and am not casting aspersions of any sort.

However, her line of work is certainly a potential conflict of interest for a guy attempting to spearhead planning reform.

She's a VP for a major Toronto developer.

To his credit, he reads as 'absent' on key votes involving their applications; however, they obviously have a vested interested in 'Planning reforms'......

Sorry to bring this old post back up, but how is it that Brad Bradford is currently the chair of the Planning and Housing Committee with such a conflict?

I'll take Layton over Matlow. Matlow would be a disaster.

Why the hate for Matlow? He was my councilor for a while and found him receptive, and right on most of the issues.

My biggest complaint for him is on housing where he was criticizing new developments in his ward. I honestly think it was from a good place though, as the criticism was that there wasn't enough infrastructure to support those buildings, and I would agree with that. City is sorely lacking on planning ahead for these growing communities. The schools there, for example, were overflowing as there were more students than spots available, causing people to have to send their kids to schools further away. The city shouldn't stop approving the buildings, but, accelerate plans for community improvements.

Like I said, he was never elected to any political seat. If that failure demonstrates anything it’s that a successful mayor needn’t have been previously electable.
Actually, he was. After JT was chosen as provincial PC leader, Ernie Eves vacated Dufferin-Peel-Wellington-Grey on his behalf, and he won the resulting 2005 byelection. (But then in the 2007 general, he opted for Don Valley West instead, and lost to Kathleen Wynne. Sylvia Jones, meanwhile, was his successor in the now-renamed Dufferin-Caledon.)

Now Calliou says he’ll be “John Tory, but faster”

A1C5BD5F-1627-4341-BDD7-B42829DDA853.jpeg
08FF265E-83E5-41E3-8159-3892DF386A05.jpeg

That's very disappointing. This was a once in a generation window of opportunity, because whoever gets elected will likely continue for many terms based on name recognition alone. There isn't likely a "next time".

I find the whole "I want to be a present parent thing" a bit odd. If I was an 18 year-old who found out that my dad refused the chance to be the mayor of one of the world's most prominent cities just to be around, I'd be pissed.

Last edited:
I can't imagine caring if my dad decided to not run for mayor. Out of all the things an 18 year old would care about, what my parents did or did not do with their lives is way down on the list.

Back