News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Since the 80's, the number of railroads that have disappeared is disappointing and not great rail fanning them these days. Marion Ohio was a get spot to train watch as you saw a wide range of RR passing the station to the point only 2 lines run there now. Other than CSX and NS, you may catch run through power of the remaining RR these days.

I was amazed at the amount of railways operating out of Kansas City as well crisscrossing the city elevated over one another in 1989 to very flat and few lines in early 2000's on my last visit to the city.. Most yards have been downsized or don't exist anymore.

Someway, this is funny for CP as there was a map in the old Union Station dispatch office before been moved to Calgary showing no CP line in eastern Canada including Toronto with Union Pacific taking over CP lines

BREAKING NEWS: STB approves Canadian Pacific-Kansas City Southern merger

Since the 80's, the number of railroads that have disappeared is disappointing and not great rail fanning them these days. Marion Ohio was a get spot to train watch as you saw a wide range of RR passing the station to the point only 2 lines run there now. Other than CSX and NS, you may catch run through power of the remaining RR these days.

I was amazed at the amount of railways operating out of Kansas City as well crisscrossing the city elevated over one another in 1989 to very flat and few lines in early 2000's on my last visit to the city.. Most yards have been downsized or don't exist anymore.

Someway, this is funny for CP as there was a map in the old Union Station dispatch office before been moved to Calgary showing no CP line in eastern Canada including Toronto with Union Pacific taking over CP lines

A picture that illustrates what Drum is discussing, a triple-flyover with 3 different railways in KC:

1678900352997.png

taken from: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ne1yycUf...YiiRGcIvgcnEa949yihtorgCLcBGAsYHQ/s640/14.jpg

I think there was previously a tourist railway on this route?
And for much history even before that:

The second part of the line, extending from Beaupré to Clermont in Charlevoix, was built between 1909 and 1919. Rodolphe Forget had built his large Manoir Richelieu at Pointe-au-Pic (now part of La Malbaie) in the 1890s. At first hotel guests would get to the hotel via Canada Steamship Lines steamships. Rodolphe Forget ran for the House of Commons in 1904 promising voters to extend the QM&C line, which was eventually done. This part of the line is very scenic because it is literally wedged between mountains and river. It required huge investments in time and money: there are two tunnels and 900 bridges and culverts, or an average of one every 165 metres (541 ft).

The railway traverses a small bridge in front of a waterfall near Montmorency, 16 July 2005

I think there was previously a tourist railway on this route?
The various private owners of the line have operated a variety of DMU and loco-hauled tourist trains since purchasing the line from CN (Murray Bay sub). CN still has running rights to the terminus at Clermont.

I have biked the area. It is amazing country and I imagine it would an incredible journey. Much of it runs right along the edge of the St. Lawrence.

Last edited:
The various private owners of the line have operated a variety of DMU and loco-hauled tourist trains since purchasing the line from CN (Murray Bay sub). CN still has running rights to the terminus at Clemont.

I have biked the area. It is amazing country and I imagine it would an incredible journey. Much of it runs right along the edge of the St. Lawrence.
Let's see if the train can meet 50% of it's service schedule. I hope they have a spare trainset.

Let's see if the train can meet 50% of it's service schedule. I hope they have a spare trainset.
No doubt they have retained their DMU set and according to Wiki, their loco-hauled consist is still in storage. It's only one return train per day.

No doubt they have retained their DMU set and according to Wiki, their loco-hauled consist is still in storage. It's only one return train per day.
Most new hydrogen engines are derived from Diesel versions of the same thing. They just changed the way the fuel is delivered and the injection system is different.

So that should make things easier.

Damn, they're changing the name? Also it sucks to be CN right now I guess.

Most new hydrogen engines are derived from Diesel versions of the same thing. They just changed the way the fuel is delivered and the injection system is different.

So that should make things easier.

If you read the article linked to, you would have seen that they are using Alstom Coradia iLint trains, which, Alstom's website (the link to which was provided in the article) says, "The Coradia iLint™ is the world’s first passenger train powered by a hydrogen fuel cell, which produces electrical power for traction." For trains that use electric traction motors, fuel cells make more sense than hydrogen ICE as it bypasses the need for a generator.

In direct drive applications, there could be an argument for hydrogen ICE, but it isn't an obvious winner though. More than likely it will just be a stop gap solution for situations where a drop in replacement is desirable. Obviously engine manufactures (like Cummins) will try and push their product in an attempt to survive.

Reactions: PL1
The various private owners of the line have operated a variety of DMU and loco-hauled tourist trains since purchasing the line from CN (Murray Bay sub). CN still has running rights to the terminus at Clermont.

even better if the service was able to terminate in Quebec's main station instead of having to stop short of the Port trackage.

Is this situation similar to the CN derailment Involving the movement of EX GO F59PH locomotives?

Hard to say without reading the accident report, but at face value - it does sound similar. There are still plenty of locos out there with the non-aligning drawbars, and they do get moved around every so often.

- Paul

Back