News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think you're citing the wrong part of that site. If you scroll down, you'll see the total number of homicides:

View attachment 464276

You can see the sustained increases around Jane Creba year and after 2016. Toronto's never had 15 murders a year in recent history.

"Toronto recorded 80 homicides in 2021 compared with 69 in 2020 and 70 in 2019."
"Inspector Hank Idsinga told Global News in a year end interview explaining that out of the 67 murders investigated this year" (reported in December 2022)

I have been respectful. Please understand, I clarified in my response exactly what I was quoting, I am exactly right, and you are not taking the time to read what I wrote, the mistake is entirely yours.

So we can clarify what we meant above. Both of the following are accurate:

1) Despite the recent high profile cases, we're actually on pace for a statistically average year by recent Toronto standards.

2) The increase in murders occurred starting 2016, long before the recent cases.

That being said, perception is reality.

In the short term, the TTC must make progress and be seen to have made progress on this issue. This matters as the system fights to attract ridership and expand service.
In the long term, we must extend economic opportunity more broadly, undo some of the worst ravages of the housing bubble and thoughtfully improve policing and the judiciary to lower crime overall.

As @DSC notes that idea is entirely impractical.

Further, Toronto continues to have its lowest rate of homicides in years

View attachment 464223

Last night's was #11

Toronto's Shootings are also at a 5-year low: (note here, this number includes all firearm discharges, including accidents and shots that hit no one etc)

View attachment 464235

Let's not media sensationalism drive panic.

Note the above images are taken from TPS Data Portal and Year-to-Date statistics. They are compared to previously years up to the same date, which in this case, is March 19th of each respective year.
Wonder what the homicide rates back when Toronto became a city in 1834, and a population of 9,254? What about the County of York back in 1834?

YorkCountyOntario1880s.jpg
From link.

The TTC seem to have upgraded the overhead on Church from King to Queen and are showing signs of doing the Queen to Dundas blocks where they need a few new/replacement poles. Once done, I think all of Church north of King is 'finished'. The block south of King will, presumably be completed when they complete Wellington - where new pole installation is proceeding. I also think that the overhead on the Richmond-Victoria-Adelaide loop is now also completed.

Walter! Your posts are getting more and more off topic.
No, he's not off topic. Read the posts just prior to his and you'll find people were debating whether Toronto's homicide rates were rising or falling. There was also a misunderstanding between "murders to date" vs "murders per year".

No, he's not off topic. Read the posts just prior to his and you'll find people were debating whether Toronto's homicide rates were rising or falling. There was also a misunderstanding between "murders to date" vs "murders per year".
Yes, but this is the TTC thread and figures from 1834 have very little relevance - even if it were the Murders in York/Toronto thread.

Yes, but this is the TTC thread and figures from 1834 have very little relevance - even if it were the Murders in York/Toronto thread.
I took it as a joke based off Undead's comment "Toronto's never had 15 murders a year in recent history." This is the 2nd time recently that I've seen you reprimand Walter for minor deviations yet not reprimand others who go off topic or make jokes. It's off putting as a newbie to see someone get singled out, but maybe there's some history here I'm not aware of. 🤷

I took it as a joke based off Undead's comment "Toronto's never had 15 murders a year in recent history." This is the 2nd time recently that I've seen you reprimand Walter for minor deviations yet not reprimand others who go off topic or make jokes. It's off putting as a newbie to see someone get singled out, but maybe there's some history here I'm not aware of. 🤷
There is no 'personal history but both Walter and I have been here for a while. He posts lots of useful things but also a fair number that add nothing and are really off topic. Of course, I could just ignore him and thus not see his posts but I would actually miss his useful posts and hope he may think a bit more before he posts some of his less useful ones.

So we can clarify what we meant above. Both of the following are accurate:

1) Despite the recent high profile cases, we're actually on pace for a statistically average year by recent Toronto standards.

2) The increase in murders occurred starting 2016, long before the recent cases.

That being said, perception is reality.

In the short term, the TTC must make progress and be seen to have made progress on this issue. This matters as the system fights to attract ridership and expand service.
In the long term, we must extend economic opportunity more broadly, undo some of the worst ravages of the housing bubble and thoughtfully improve policing and the judiciary to lower crime overall.

Close.

But we're on pace for the lowest number of murders in more than 20 years and the lowest per capita rate in my lifetime.

What an entirely bizarre comment.

First. Ridership is rising and quickly, its just below where it was pre-pandemic.

Second. The service cuts resulted from this year's City Budget, which passed last month, not two years ago.

Third. The exact reductions for the first wave of cuts only became known a couple of weeks ago.

Fourth, Ryerson is now known as Toronto Metropolitan University.

Fifth, TMU came out w/a quick study showing that the service reductions would have a disproportionate impact on low-income/disadvantaged residents.

Those are the realities.
1. It takes years for a large institution like the TTC to recover from significant income loss.
2. They have to schedule employees work based on past schedules, rising ridership needs to observed before it is factored into the institutions balance sheet.
3. Labour contracts are not as fluid as people standing at the bus stop.
4. ryerson polytechnic will always be ry poly regardless of their sad attempts to rewrite history.
5. Brevity is king - Q - who will be most impacted by high food prices? A - the poor. Q - who will be most impacted by high rent? A - the poor. Q - who will be most impacted by high transit costs? A - the poor. There just saved millions on studies! Your welcome.

1. It takes years for a large institution like the TTC to recover from significant income loss.

I'm uncertain what you mean by 'recover'. The TTC operates at a nominal loss, has for decades, the amount of subsidy available to cover service is a political choice.

In terms of ridership, the TTC has already regained the vast majority of its pre-pandemic numbers, and those gains were accelerating. The reductions in service will not be helpful in that regard, but a growing population will mitigate that to a great degree.

2. They have to schedule employees work based on past schedules, rising ridership needs to observed before it is factored into the institutions balance sheet.

I am aware how the TTC sets schedules; something I'm not convinced you are knowledgeable about.

The TTC modifies its schedule approximately every six weeks, with slight variations (notably summer tends to run slightly longer, and there's a schedule for the approximately 2 weeks of the Christmas season).

The TTC's ability to shift service up is constrained by only three things. Available budget, Available equipment and Available staff. The TTC has a large surplus of equipment, and a sufficiency of staff to maintain or even enhance service levels. The budget difference in question is ~50M per annum which to the TTC itself is under 5% of budget and is under 0.4% of annual expenditures for the City.

3. Labour contracts are not as fluid as people standing at the bus stop.

The collective agreement is not material to level of service being operated at this time.

My heart breaks for the loved ones and friends of the victim, 16 year-old Gabriel Magalhaes.

So scary, it could have been anyone. Could have been you or me.
Indeed, my thoughts too. Ten or twenty years ago you could usually assume that if you’re not involved in gangsta culture, gangs/drugs or spousal/relationship disputes you were pretty much guaranteed not to meet a violent end. But nowadays it seems like we have random crazies hunting us all down.
4. ryerson polytechnic will always be ry poly regardless of their sad attempts to rewrite history.
Why? I don’t think anyone has used the polytechnic moniker in decades. It’s been thirty years since the institution was granted university status, you‘re going to have to move on. I like the new name, I’ve heard my adult kids‘ clique calling it TeeMoo and TheMoo for its TMU accroynym, which is kinda fun. I expect it will just be called the Met eventually. Now, back to the TTC.

Last edited:

Back