News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Wonder who wants Andy Byford's current replacement here at the TTC, Rick Leary? (Insert sounds of crickets here.)

Byford doesn't last anywhere he goes. It would be better to get a replacement who is young, and in it for the long term, so things actually get accomplished.

Last edited:
Byford doesn't last anywhere he goes.

You sure about that?

He lasted 5 years 10 months with the TTC. That's not a bad sized run.

It would be better to get a replacement who is young, and in it for the long term, so things actually get accomplished.

You know Andy actually got more done in his time at TTC than any of his recent predecessors and likewise the case in NYC in considerably less time.

He's a very driven guy. No kids, loves what he does.

PS, he's only something like 58.

Why is anyone surprised about TTC cuts? We have been hearing for nearly 2 years about falling ridership. Does ryerson not educate it's staff about reality?

Why is anyone surprised about TTC cuts? We have been hearing for nearly 2 years about falling ridership. Does ryerson not educate it's staff about reality?

What an entirely bizarre comment.

First. Ridership is rising and quickly, its just below where it was pre-pandemic.

Second. The service cuts resulted from this year's City Budget, which passed last month, not two years ago.

Third. The exact reductions for the first wave of cuts only became known a couple of weeks ago.

Fourth, Ryerson is now known as Toronto Metropolitan University.

Fifth, TMU came out w/a quick study showing that the service reductions would have a disproportionate impact on low-income/disadvantaged residents.

Those are the realities.

Last edited:
What an entirely bizarre comment.

First. Ridership is rising and quickly, its just below where it was pre-pandemic.

Second. The service cuts resulted from this year's City Budget, which passed last month, not two years ago.

Third. The exact reductions for the first wave of cuts only became known a couple of weeks ago.

Fourth, Ryerson is now known as Toronto Metropolitan University.

Fifth, TMU came out w/a quick study shown that the service reductions would have a disproportionate impact on low-income/disadvantaged residents.

Those are the realities.
And moreso to your first point.....

For several systems, in some time periods, ridership is higher than it was prior to the pandemic.

Dan

And moreso to your first point.....

For several systems, in some time periods, ridership is higher than it was prior to the pandemic.

Dan
The King car is getting super packed again at the peak of rush hour, now almost every day, though Monday morning is still noticeably light, but what I notice now for the other days is that weather has become the factor more than day of the week, which is probably how it will work in the future.

Last edited:
Sadly i think we will be seeing security checks at all stations with metal detectors like you see in Asian countries in the near future.

As @DSC notes that idea is entirely impractical.

Further, Toronto continues to have its lowest rate of homicides in years

1679850059574.png

Last night's was #11

Toronto's Shootings are also at a 5-year low: (note here, this number includes all firearm discharges, including accidents and shots that hit no one etc)

1679850169531.png

Let's not media sensationalism drive panic.

Note the above images are taken from TPS Data Portal and Year-to-Date statistics. They are compared to previously years up to the same date, which in this case, is March 19th of each respective year.

Last edited:
As @DSC notes that idea is entirely impractical.

View attachment 464223

Last night's was #11

Toronto's Shootings are also at a 5-year low: (note here, this number includes all firearm discharges, including accidents and shots that hit no one etc)

View attachment 464235

Let's not media sensationalism drive panic.

It's not media sensationalism, Another innocent person was attacked at random and died. YOU are the one down playing it, " homicides are down so the TTC must be safe! Amazing how people have their heads stuck in the sand when it comes to all the violence happening on the TTC.

It's not media sensationalism, Another innocent person was attacked at random and died. YOU are the one down playing it, " homicides are down so the TTC must be safe! Amazing how people have their heads stuck in the sand when it comes to all the violence happening on the TTC.

I am downplaying nothing. Criminal violence is never ok. I feel no less sympathetic to the victim and those close to same. I am no less committed to the idea that the suspect ought to be removed from the streets.

But in assessing the likelihood of one becoming a victim and the appropriate level of response, one looks to evidence, not anecdote.

The risk remains relatively low; the appropriate response is to address underlying social issues such as mental illness and addiction. That, while not cheap, is frankly a lot less costly than the level of investment suggested in your post; an investment which will not and should not occur and would have one believe we lived in a war zone.

Last edited:
I'm not sure those numbers are accurate. Wikipedia, citing TPS sources, shows a range of 50-70 murders in a typical year with a few outliers.

Last year had 70 murders which is on the higher end for us, but the sky isn't falling. Nevertheless, there's been a sustained increase in the murder rate and aggregate numbers since 2016.

I'm not sure those numbers are accurate. Wikipedia, citing TPS sources, shows a range of 50-70 murders in a typical year with a few outliers.

Last year had 70 murders which is on the higher end for us, but the sky isn't falling. Nevertheless, there's been a sustained increase in the murder rate and aggregate numbers since 2016.

Huh? Those numbers are precisely accurate, they are Year to Date, current to March 19th of this year; the compare with previous years up to that same date. I will add that clarification to my original post.

I think you're citing the wrong part of that site. If you scroll down, you'll see the total number of homicides:

Capture.PNG

You can see the sustained increases around Jane Creba year and after 2016. Toronto's never had 15 murders a year in recent history.

"Toronto recorded 80 homicides in 2021 compared with 69 in 2020 and 70 in 2019."
"Inspector Hank Idsinga told Global News in a year end interview explaining that out of the 67 murders investigated this year" (reported in December 2022)

Back