News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last week I recalled hearing a radio commentator on an AM news show mention that Moise and Fletcher were backing Bailao and there are a lot more councillors who will endorse her too.

I don't count Bradford out at all. He could very well run the best campaign, raise the most cash and win the mayor's chair. And he does have a lot of movers and shakers on his team too. Ana Bailao, from my understanding, has more of Tory backers on her team (like Tom Allison and Nick Kouvalis) and has built a team that has advisors and strategists from all different political stripes.
I went through Bradford's twitter account: if he tried to be any more 'middle of the road', he would be a yellow line.

I went through Bradford's twitter account: if he tried to be any more 'middle of the road', he would be a yellow line.

I know Brad, not a close friend, but in regular contact.

I've always had a good personal rapport w/him.

I've understood (though we never explicitly discussed) some of the political deals he's made.

That said. As the City's fiscal crisis has grown perpetually worse the last few years, I've found a real disconnect between what Brad says, even privately, and how he votes.

I also found his recent savaging of Councillor Bravo with a completely spurious bit of drivel in regards to a motion on the police budget utterly inexcusable.

Its shifted my view of him somewhat. Because, however reasonable I think he sounds in private, or in most media soundbites.......at the end, one must judge based on action.

And his actions have been to attack even modest, reasonable, well intend proposals in such as way as to convey an evil about them; while at the same time mouthing progressive objectives, but voting against
funding them at every opportunity.

I've understood (though we never explicitly discussed) some of the political deals he's made.

That said. As the City's fiscal crisis has grown perpetually worse the last few years, I've found a real disconnect between what Brad says, even privately, and how he votes.

I also found his recent savaging of Councillor Bravo with a completely spurious bit of drivel in regards to a motion on the police budget utterly inexcusable.

Its shifted my view of him somewhat. Because, however reasonable I think he sounds in private, or in most media soundbites.......at the end, one must judge based on action.

And his actions have been to attack even modest, reasonable, well intend proposals in such as way as to convey an evil about them; while at the same time mouthing progressive objectives, but voting against
That's more than enough for me to not consider voting for him.

Thanks for the insight and it is totally believable (unfortunately).

I recently saw his reaction to the renewed attempt to stop the refurbishment of the eastern part of the Gardiner (a total waste of money IMO, but, of course, he is for it) and I was not impressed by either his position or his attitude towards the opposite viewpoint.

But with so many candidates, and the winner being able to squeak out a win with, lets say, 25% of the vote, yes he could well win.

I'm trying to figure out a timeline of by-elections that might happen, so we have Toronto Mayoral by election Monday June 26th. If Bradford, Matlow or Holyday (if he runs) wins, then that forces another by-election in one of those wards, when would that happen? We will have a Scarborough-Guildwood Provincial By election (assuming after the mayoral race). Will MItzie Hunter (be allowed to) run for her old seat if she loses the Mayoral race? What a waste of money all of this is. If the councillors had to resign, at least we could have their ward race by-elections at the same time as the mayoral by-election.

Just to bring this forward for everyone:

1680191630250.png

- via BlogTO

@Richard White; @picard102 has it exactly right, that's what Bailao said, literally, that the City would switch to a carrier that is available on the TTC, which means Freedom.

Congrats Scarborough-Guildwood for having five elections - 2021 federal general, 2022 provincial general, 2022 municipal general, 2023 municipal by-election and 2023 provincial by-election - in three years. 😁
I'm trying to figure out a timeline of by-elections that might happen, so we have Toronto Mayoral by election Monday June 26th. If Bradford, Matlow or Holyday (if he runs) wins, then that forces another by-election in one of those wards, when would that happen? We will have a Scarborough-Guildwood Provincial By election (assuming after the mayoral race). Will MItzie Hunter (be allowed to) run for her old seat if she loses the Mayoral race? What a waste of money all of this is. If the councillors had to resign, at least we could have their ward race by-elections at the same time as the mayoral by-election.

I also realized that if Bradford wins the mayoralty, there will be a municipal by-election for his council seat, and then if Nathaniel Erskine-Smith wins the OLP leadership, there will be a federal by-election for his seat.

That's potentially six elections in three years in Beaches-East York.

Today Doug Ford warns that Toronto will get no extra money over the next few years. He says the city must find "efficiencies" going forward. I guess that limits almost all campaign promises for the Mayor's race.

https://www.cp24.com/news/doug-ford...ices-to-deal-with-funding-shortfall-1.6335341
Toronto already has lowest property tax rates in the GTHA. Things are in bad repair, collapsing, dirty, and "efficient" for the past 12 years under Mayor Rob Ford and Mayor John Tory.

It's happened--first thing that comes to mind is the PCs' Roch LaSalle federally in '81 (resigned to run for the Union Nationale provincially, lost, then ran for his federal seat in the resulting byelection, and won). Don't know whether it's different provincially, though...

Back