News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Who gets your vote for Mayor of Toronto?

• Ana Bailao

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Brad Bradford

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Olivia Chow

Votes: 58 52.7%
  • Mitzie Hunter

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Josh Matlow

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mark Saunders

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I remember correctly, the KPMG study ordered under his brother, who was obsessed with the "gravy train", didn't find much to be concerned about.

I have no doubt Ford will use this as a way to assume operational control over the City of Toronto.

I can see him preaching about how spending is out of control and how no money will come from the province until the situation is resolved.

He will then have the province assume control, make deep cuts and say he saved the day.

It's hard for the city to justify an economic crisis when they won't raise the property taxes to be in line with the rest of the GTHA. I could understand if the city had the highest property taxes in the region and still couldn't manage, but we are nowhere near that point. There's still plenty the city can do themselves to fix this problem.

It's hard for the city to justify an economic crisis when they won't raise the property taxes to be in line with the rest of the GTHA. I could understand if the city had the highest property taxes in the region and still couldn't manage, but we are nowhere near that point. There's still plenty the city can do themselves to fix this problem.
As much as I despise Thug Ford, this is Tory's legacy - 9 years of "efficiency", ignoring the looming budget issues with tax increases at or below inflation, year after year, and the voters eat it up time and time again without bothering to look at the bigger picture. "Hey, I got a few more bucks in my pocket thanks to John Tory! What a great mayor!"

The fact that he continued to take this approach while there's a strident Toronto-hating premier at Queen's Park makes it even more ludicrous, as absolutely no one should be surprised that he's now refusing to plug the budget gap. That was as predictable as the sun rising. So, what now? Continue to beg and hope that the feds come to the rescue? That's irresponsible, and there's no guarantee they'll respond either. The harsh reality is that unless we want to endure some very painful service cuts that will degrade Toronto's quality of life, city hall needs to grow a pair and start implementing a wide range of new revenue streams by way of the City of Toronto Act. That's what it was designed for. Lord knows they've studied proposals to death - how about actually doing something for a change?? I'm not convinced that any of the people running for mayor have the will or even desire to take this on.

Oh and relatedly, I'm totally on board with @Northern Light 's suggestion of passively-aggressively closing the Gardiner due to maintenance budget cuts for the foreseeable future to force the province to upload it as part of municipal budget "efficiencies". I'd love to see Thug's face in light of that...

Miller proposed the money be used to reduce the proposed four per cent residential property tax increase to 2.9 per cent and trimming the business property tax to less than one per cent.

Maybe you can list all the service cuts Miller proposed after the budget surplus in 2010? I can't seem to find that anywhere.

Would-be Mayor Matlow whose Tweets took up most of Council's time this morning, has now been formally reprimanded and docked two weeks pay in a 22-2 vote. (Matlow and Peruzza voted against)

Toronto already has lowest property tax rates in the GTHA. Things are in bad repair, collapsing, dirty, and "efficient" for the past 12 years under Mayor Rob Ford and Mayor John Tory.

I would vote for the person who promises to increase property taxes by 5% per year above inflation, and shove it all into SOGR type projects.

That said, this person would almost certainly lose the election with that campaign promise.

Toronto needs a mayor and council that will not say anything before being elected and be shocked! SHOCKED! that the cupboards are bare when they look at the books, and take dramatic action to raise revenues to avoid calamity.

This is usually what new governments do provincially/federally. Things are far worse than the old crew let on and our supporters will have to wait longer than expected for the goodies we promised as we right the ship.

Same script follows from every change in government.

Maybe you can list all the service cuts Miller proposed after the budget surplus in 2010? I can't seem to find that anywhere.
No where did I say he cut services. But Miller, like every other Mayor championed low taxes.
That he could keep them low due to an influx in cash from development, wage suppression, and "cost cutting" doesn't make it more nobel.

As expected, Hunter throws her hat in the ring.

To come back to this.........there are a few platform statements in there:

1680287982177.png

Note that the below would require provincial government approval.

1680288004878.png

I know there have been some concerns among the left/progressives about vote splitting. I strongly suspect Gil Peñalosa is going to have a lot less support this go around, will drop out early, or might not even register at all.

Last September, when Peñalosa became the default anti-Tory candidate, he was able to hire some NDP staffers and get the blessing of some of the party brass. This will not happen this time around. He will have far less resources and money for his second attempt.

Peñalosa has also rubbed some people the wrong way, myself included, by using his email list of supporters and donors from last year to promote urban planning workshops that he sells.

Back