Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 89 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
How much of the $300 million the Province is providing goes towards the Greenline station in the area? And, is it brand new money, or is it a portion of the already $1.5 billion commited by the Province for the Greenline?
We don't know. But I suspect it will end up north of $100 million. expanding things underground costs big $. The already committed for the greenline, no. Brand new money, also likely no but messy. A committment to supply funding over and above what they may have considered otherwise, maybe?

It is all very dynamic as most provincial funding to the city comes in the form of un-tied grants which vary from year to year.

That is a frustrating answer... It isn't the already comitted money, but it also isn't brand new money?.... I get it, you might not know the ins and outs of the details (doesn't seem like anyone does), but it is frustrating when questions about hundreds of millions of dollars can't be given a straight answer. Admittedly, I am not asking an official source. And thanks for taking a shot at it, I do appreciate your input/insights on these things.

As an Edmontonian, we’re pissed haha. 0 money for our city, which is straddled with a lot more social problems thanks to jails, underfunded shelters, and a provincial government that actively fights our city council in public. But time to buy votes in Calgary? Here’s hundreds of millions. Fiscal conservative means nothing. Bunch of clowns running this province. Edmonton has 60k less people, yet gets so much less support from the province for infrastructure.

Hope you guys get a new arena. But the province paying for it is unfair for the whole province.
Edmonton actually has around 300,000 less people, much more than 60. You're thinking metropolitan area… but this is entirely a municipal matter. Alberta has no metropolitan areas that receive joint funding. Our metropolitan regional councils are funded by the constituent municipalities.

I’m excited! I don’t worry about all the political shenanigans. I’m just glad we get another chance to get this design right with a vastly better chance to succeed given the increased area and funding. Plus the bonus of related infrastructure upgrades (Green Line station, 6th St. underpass, etc.).
To an earlier poster, I recall the underpass was previously 5th St. as well … but agree 6th seems better.
Lets get this thing going!!
I’ll be pissed if the NDP quash it.

Edmonton has 60k less people, yet gets so much less support from the province for infrastructure.

Hope you guys get a new arena. But the province paying for it is unfair for the whole province.
I hear this often from Edmonton posters but I’ve never seen the evidence to support it.
I’m not saying it’s not true, but I would like to see the proof.

It's weird that this new site plan doesn't show the site of the current Stampede Headquarters being turned into an extension of the plaza, as all other plans have shown… also odd is not including the possibility of a mixed use building on the western 1/3 of the block currently occupied by the Saddledome. Like, that would complete Stampede Trail, and make it feel urban up to and past the arena. Don't make no sense.
I agree with your points here UW - I hope they complete Stampede Trail and the Plaza as you describe.

I hear this often from Edmonton posters but I’ve never seen the evidence to support it.
I’m not saying it’s not true, but I would like to see the proof.
The dollar amounts are roughly proportional. The myth imo comes from Edmonton deciding not to borrow money in the 80s to keep building. They went 30 years between building rec centres. They didn’t build a concert hall in their equivalent to Arts Commons so they built it later. They spent around the same $ amount on the LRT from the 70s to the mid 90s but got so much less. The province taking over Deerfoot was roughly proportionate in capital spend to the province building the SW Anthony Henday.

Edmonton actually has around 300,000 less people, much more than 60. You're thinking metropolitan area… but this is entirely a municipal matter. Alberta has no metropolitan areas that receive joint funding. Our metropolitan regional councils are funded by the constituent municipalities.

I don't care about the no gooders up north, but I could see an argument that a city with a larger parasite population and smaller internal base could warrant more fund smoothing by the province.

Edmonton has 60k less people, yet gets so much less support from the province for infrastructure.

Technically Edmonton is 92k less, but it’s a small margin in the grand scheme of things. About 7% difference.
I don’t know what the actual dollar amounts are going to each city, but I suspect they’re not that far apart, what’s happening lately, though is all the focus has been on Calgary. It’s Calgary that will decide the elections and as a result has become a high profile part of the election.

Wandered through the event centre lands today. With the expanded footprint it looks like this little building will be a casualty. It's a shake but I wonder if it would be possible/worth it to move it over or reconstruct it as a little retail building on the Stampede Youth Campus on the next block east?

20230501_153228.jpg

That could be cool, but I would worry they would go full Stampitecture with the rest. Little Caesars in Detroit looks cool inside, but I would hate to see that facade here.
Little Caesars doesn't use just brick on the exterior. That arena has a mix of different facade types and colours to help mask the massing. Speaking of Little Caesars, I measured and that arena and it's parkade would fit in the new expanded footprint of this new agreement (excluding the plaza between the parkade and arena)

Back