Do you support the proposal for the new arena?

• Yes

Votes: 88 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 6.6%

• Total voters
Tempe has a bit of an incentive in that the Valley is a multi-city metro area and if they get development that Mesa or Scottsdale would have gotten instead, they benefit -- although the net effect to the region overall is negative.
Bingo. And it assumes over time Tempe doesn't have to eventually pay for extra infrastructure or services they otherwise would not have had to.

I’m not convinced the community arena is necessary, and it seems to me it’s more of a benefit to CSEC.
If it can function in a similar capacity as the Corral did, I think it's a win. I got to play beer league at the Corral a bunch and it was always cool. Not nearly enough rinks in this city, especially downtown.

If it can function in a similar capacity as the Corral did, I think it's a win. I got to play beer league at the Corral a bunch and it was always cool. Not nearly enough rinks in this city, especially downtown.
It would be kind of funny if we ended up with a new corral as well after all this.

We are even replacing one swoopy roof in the Saddledome, with another in the BMO Centre.

Even the total amount of parking appears to be staying quite similar.

Over a billion in funding, all the politics and drama, and we appear to have got ourselves back to where we started in Stampede Park - albeit with bigger, shinier facilities and more of that contemporary, never-will-be-outdated 2020s vibe instead of the outdated 1980s look :cool:

I noticed that this morning actually. Was reading about the Sam Centre and looked at the Youth Campus site plan, and yeah the location of the proposed Opera Centre is going to have a road going through it now 🤪 I’m sure they’ll just relocate it. The spot to the northeast of the Sam Centre along the river would be gorgeous for a performing arts space.

So has there been any hints on when some renderings will be released?
The definitive agreements won't be signed until the provincial money is approved which won't be until after the election. Then the existing design will likely need to be at least partially redesigned to match the expanded scope of the project so it'll be quite a while before we get a proper render

The definitive agreements won't be signed until the provincial money is approved which won't be until after the election. Then the existing design will likely need to be at least partially redesigned to match the expanded scope of the project so it'll be quite a while before we get a proper render
Sooooo...🐌s pace.

Probably almost 1 year of redesigns, agreements, planning, and DP application and then 2 ½ - 3 years of construction with the completion being in 2027
Seems optimistic. And that’s if Smith & Co get re-elected. Imagine the stalling if The Notley Crew become government again!

Seems optimistic. And that’s if Smith & Co get re-elected. Imagine the stalling if The Notley Crew become government again!
The arena didn't become the political win Danielle was hoping for, people have moved on (see the provincial politics thread (Yikes Danielle!)). I think the NDP scrutinize the deal but that it goes through. All the griping about provincial money when really they could just package it as infrastructure spending. At least in my uninformed opinion.

I don't think the NDP takes too long to agree to allow the funding for the underpass, green line, 25th Ave intersection, lane reversal infrastructure, misc. public surrounding infrastructure. The plaza and community arena is grey area which could be an issue but don't see a situation where they snag the progress over that.

The remainder is between CSEC and the CoC and would just proceed with a placeholder space for the community arena and do the rest.

Back