News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Updated an Ottawa map I made a while back. In this case its an imagining of the O-Train as a hybrid LRT/Interubran network for the Ottawa-Gatineau region.
OttawaCommuter.png

Ottawa_Geo.png

Hey everyone, here's a conceptual plan for London that I have been working on for a while. I was planning on initially doing just transit, but I decided to go a step further and make it a general transportation vision for 2051. It is ambitious and includes an LRT conversion of the new South/East/Downtown BRT that is being implemented, a redesign of the North/West BRT into an LRT instead, and peripheral BRT lines on major roads - Hyde Park, Wonderland, Adelaide, Highbury, Fanshawe Park, Oxford, Dundas, Commissioners, and Southdale, as well as an extension of the South leg to St. Thomas, and another loop downtown located south of the railroad tracks along Horton. I have also included new GO stations and a spur to the airport. Additionally, I have further included ambitious active transportation expansions, including a massive expansion of the street-level bike lane network and the Thames Valley Parkway. I have also added in freeway conversions of Veteran's Memorial Parkway/Clarke going north to HWY 7, and Highbury Avenue going south to St. Thomas.

I have highlighted the City's current Transit Villages, large institutional properties, and existing/planned/potential areas for increased density that isn't already designated a Transit Village, to make it easier to see my rationale for the transit lines. There are also some population statistics, including a projected future population by 2051 based on current growth rates.

I'm planning on doing more like this for Southwestern Ontario cities. Hope you all enjoy.

London 2051 Mobility Network Vision by Eric MacMillan, on Flickr

Reactions: PL1
What If Stage 2 ION were a BRT and GO RER instead?

1682769733747.png

Features:

Bus
-Dedicated busway on South side of 401, industrial rail spur
-Queue jump lanes on Homer Watson Blvd, Hespeler Rd, River Rd Extension, and King St E
-Intercity bus terminal moved to the 401/Highway 8 interchange

GO RER
-15 Minute frequency between Downtown Galt and Downtown Hespeler
-30 Minute frequency between Downtown Galt and Guelph

Last edited:
Line 1 does not even need to be continuous through Union. How many people make that U-turn journey? Even if some people make it, it won't be a loss to them because they will only need to walk about 600 meters extra.

That should also help with managing delays as problems on Yonge line won't affect University line and vice versa.

Also, we can boast having our 5th subway line without doing much work :cool: (just like how UK "added" lanes on its highways by converting shoulder lanes into traffic lanes)
I was thinking what if Line 1 was broken into two lines, each continuing from Union to form two halves of the Downtown Relief Line? I guess it would not be possible due to the excavations needed, but an interesting thought.

That idea has been kicking around for decades but never in any very official way. Where and how to build another station around Union was a difficulty. If building a second platform at Bloor and Yonge is going to cost a billion, think what a whole station at Union would run to. The ship would seem to have sailed.

I think the most common scheme was to run the University line south under York with a station under the tracks. I pretty sure there is some discussion out there, but I can't locate anything beyond a pencil sketch I would have made about 30 years ago in a stack of yellowing paper.

I have been having fun with metrodreamin.com lately. I find it to be by far the best app for creating fantasy maps - if you are not familiar with graphics programs. You are restricted to making geographic maps though, not diagram maps.

Mine is a work in progress. The LRTs in particular are a little wacky. The "midtown line" would either be a local GO line or an Ontario Line like service. I may add streetcars in the future, but I want to add them in a modernized capacity, and then style the streetcars AND LRTs together. Maybe give them letter marks to complement the subway line number marks. (ROWs, stop consolidation, etc.) I only have lines split to due limitations of the site (It does not like the stations of Line 1's U). I have however implemented my idea to split Line 5. Ontario Line and Line 5 to the airport would take place with branches. Some trains would be "3" and some would be "3A", for example. Any critiques are welcome, as the map is still very rough.

https://metrodreamin.com/view/MDZKQzBQazJua01EQ0NiMTlodUZtbEtyd2RNMnww

Last edited:
I much prefer Brand New Subway over Metro Dreamin because of how chunky everything is on Dreamin. https://jpwright.github.io/subway/
I have been having fun with metrodreamin.com lately. I find it to be by far the best app for creating fantasy maps - if you are not familiar with graphics programs. You are restricted to making geographic maps though, not diagram maps.

Back