News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Hopefully when the Crosstown and west extension open they'll send the 25 to Renforth as well, would be super convenient. My current strategy is taking a MiWay bus from Kipling to Square One since those are a little more frequent (there are 3 routes to choose from) and I get credit for my MiWay fare when transferring to GO now
There's 4 GO routes that serve the transitway now and 2 of them are 24/7. While it will be nice to get the 25 to also head to Kipling, it would be understandable if they didn't. But then again they have 6 GO routes serving Erin Mills Station so anything could happen.

Potential new GO station? From today's MZO announcement.

image.png

Potential new GO station? From today's MZO announcement.

image.png

The two properties mentioned on Hurontario would relate to the existing Pt. Credit Station, the other is on Lakeshore and the closest N-S road that meets the rail corridor would be Ogden. It would only be 1.8km to Long Branch, Cawthra would probably make more sense.

Though, truthfully, when I look at geographic gaps on GO Lakeshore, I'd probably plug the gap between Clarkson and Oakville first, with a station at Winston Churchill, but I digress, as that is nowhere near the new developments they are letting skip the planning process via MZO in a manner I consider disgraceful.

To be clear, I have not heard of any prosective new stations on the LSW in this area, so I'm being entirely speculative.

On the 21st of May a third round trip to Niagara Falls will be reinstated, so far I don’t see any other major changes to other lines coming but I could be wrong.
Looks like a third roundtrip isn't being added. The May 20 schedule shows two roundtrips, an increase in travel time from 2 hours 6 minutes to 2 hours 21 minutes, and still no stop in St. Catharines. Seems like Niagara service just keeps getting worse every year.

Looks like more rush hour service is being added to Lakeshore West though.

Looks like a third roundtrip isn't being added. The May 20 schedule shows two roundtrips, an increase in travel time from 2 hours 6 minutes to 2 hours 21 minutes, and still no stop in St. Catharines. Seems like Niagara service just keeps getting worse every year.

In regards to the above:

1683939147641.png

I think that's quite positive in regards to downtown office towers beginning to fill, there was clearly some pent-up demand.

Yeah I missed a lot of this, surprised to not see the third Niagara train on the weekends either considering a job was made for it, maybe it’ll be announced later?
IMG_7420.jpeg

In regards to the above:

View attachment 476833

I think that's quite positive in regards to downtown office towers beginning to fill, there was clearly some pent-up demand.
If more of this is what we're slowly getting towards, can't wait to see what the September changes will look like this year. It seems that everything that was supposed to happen in the past 3 years will be fully accumulated and come together into this one massive change like anything we haven't seen before. Probably will be about 3x bigger than the recent April changes.

Though, truthfully, when I look at geographic gaps on GO Lakeshore, I'd probably plug the gap between Clarkson and Oakville first, with a station at Winston Churchill, but I digress, as that is nowhere near the new developments they are letting skip the planning process via MZO in a manner I consider disgraceful.

To be clear, I have not heard of any prosective new stations on the LSW in this area, so I'm being entirely speculative.
GO has long planned for a station to eventually be placed on this stretch, with names such as "Winston Churchill" and "9th Line" being used.

But these are also from very long term plans, so there isn't anything concrete for the near or even medium term.

Dan

GO has long planned for a station to eventually be placed on this stretch, with names such as "Winston Churchill" and "9th Line" being used.

But these are also from very long term plans, so there isn't anything concrete for the near or even medium term.

Dan

Do they own the requisite real estate? (assuming room is needed for a station building, possible bus platforms and some parking)

Do they own the requisite real estate? (assuming room is needed for a station building, possible bus platforms and some parking)
I don't believe that they've even settled on a final location for any potential station, so therefore I would suspect that no, they don't own any of the land necessary for a station.

But to the best of my knowledge, they do keep tabs on the real estate market in that (and several other) areas, and have in the past purchased land that could be of use if it came available. Or at least, they did in the prior times - I don't know if this still is done.

Dan

from 5 express services on the LSW to 9 sevices - that's big jump in service quality for peak hour commuters. Effective 15 minute express service during rush hours.

Notable as well that it brings peak hour express service to West Harbour up to 3 trips from the previous 1 (which continued on to Niagara).

Lakeshore West service also notably now matches pre-covid schedules, which also had 9 peak period express trips. Now if they could just match the off-peak service levels and bring back 20-minute service to Oakville!

Basically the change on Lakeshore West in the AM Peak is that they added two new local round trips from Oakville to Union in the early morning (in addition to 3 pre-existing), and made everything else express. There is now a regular service pattern throughout the AM Peak with express trains every 15 minutes (2tph from Hamilton Centre, 1tph from West Harbour and 1tph starting from Aldershot), and local trains every 30 minutes from Oakville to Union.

Here is the breakdown by arrival time at Union:
7:00 - 7:59 Current: 2 local, 2 express | New: 2 local, 4 express
8:00 - 8:59 Current: 4 local, 2 express | New: 2 local, 4 express
9:00 - 9:59 Current: 3 local, 1 express | New: 3 local, 1 express

I suspect that making the West Harbour trips run express instead of local will make West Harbour a more popular station. Trains now cover Hamilton West Harbour to Toronto Union in 67 minutes, which is very respectable.

Also the Niagara-West Harbour portion is now 9 minutes slower, bringing the total Niagara-Toronto weekday trip up to 2h32. Anyone know what's up with that portion of the line? I know they're doing work on the Welland bridge but that shouldn't slow things down this much.

Notable as well that it brings peak hour express service to West Harbour up to 3 trips from the previous 1 (which continued on to Niagara).

Lakeshore West service also notably now matches pre-covid schedules, which also had 9 peak period express trips. Now if they could just match the off-peak service levels and bring back 20-minute service to Oakville!
Pre-pandemic off-peak service to Oakville was 3 tph (headways 15, 15, 30) but in September 2021 we had full 15 minute local service from Oakville to Oshawa, plus half-hourly express service in the peaks.

Last edited:
Pretty sure the corridor can handle 15 min Oakville-Oshawa service while also running all the express services during peak. Maybe they pull an UPX and give us 15 min all day 7 day service later this year as there’s clear demand on all sides for it.

Pretty sure the corridor can handle 15 min Oakville-Oshawa service while also running all the express services during peak. Maybe they pull an UPX and give us 15 min all day 7 day service later this year as there’s clear demand on all sides for it.

They can, and I hope they do….. but….there is a limit and there are constraints.

LSW can run express trains on close headways in one direction only. That is adequate for a traditional commute-to-downtown-Toronto peak service, but it does not support counter flow improvements, and it constrains turnbacks and equipment moves (they follow between the locals, which makes problems for timing and utilisation ) and they greatly impede adding VIA service.

Restoring service to the max is a nice problem to have, but I hope there is a plan to quad track the LSW eventually.

- Paul

...... but I hope there is a plan to quad track the LSW eventually.

- Paul

I know it has been discussed; but it strikes me that its not on the near-term radar given that they are comprehensively rebuilding Longbranch station, and not introducing a 4th track.

I had a quick gander, and it looks to me like they have room to fill in the missing 4th mainline track within the ROW and on the embankment, where applicable, as far west as Long Branch station. The first bridge widening requirement appears to be the one over Etobicoke Creek just to the west of Long Branch station.

@reaperexpress could doubtless tell us how far a fourth track extension would have to go, from Mimico, to pickup the first tangible benefit.

I think fourth tracking all the way to the Halton sub is probably a fairly expensive undertaking and less likely in the nearterm, but if there was a partial buildout that permitted significantly more service, even to Oakville, that might be something for which buy-in could be obtained.

Back