News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I mean I'm not expecting them to shave off 10 minutes here - more like 1 or 2. But when you cut 2 minutes off of 85-90% of GO trips, that's actually a pretty significant cut in average travel times that most other speed improvements (i.e. Guelph slow zone changes) can't match.

Right now express services operate to West Harbour on a 1:07 schedule - getting 7 minutes off that should hopefully be possible to some extent.. Level boarding, Speed increases through Union, removal of slow orders, etc. would get it pretty close. Unfortunately electrification won't help..
The increasing of the speed limits and removal of temporary speed restrictions are only going to help to save 2 or 3 minutes in total. Somehow eliminating the PSOs through Hamilton will save more, but will also come at a far greater cost.

What will help get that time under an hour is removing station stops - each one costs 3 minutes.

Dan

Any updates on when East Harbour GO will open? :)

GO tweeted a good photo of the Union construction earlier today.

East Harbour transit station is a part of GO Expansion, dont expect any construction on the station till 2026 at the earliest

East Harbour transit station is a part of GO Expansion, dont expect any construction on the station till 2026 at the earliest
I was joking about the way to save travel time on GO was to have less stations.

Though I'd think it would be before 2026, as I'd assume the new station there is part of the Ontario Line contract from Don to Pape, along with Riverdale and Gerrard stations. We are already seeing early activity along this section.

Finished a diagram on my future vision for Union Stations platforms and how they will be numbered, for more information about why I see this to be the case check out my Tweet:
You_Doodle+_2023-07-27T23_51_21Z.jpeg

Last edited:
has double berthing been 100% confirmed? hell has triple berthing? thought that was still an idea?
also why are 7 and 15 stub platforms?
Double birthing hasn’t been confirmed yet, but consider that the early design of the reconfigured platforms show a lot of them being extended, and pair that with most GO trains getting shortened significantly and running more often after GO Expansion, and you can probably see why I’m expecting double birthing or more to happen.

7 and 15 are stub platforms exactly as they are shown in the USEP document released earlier this year (Trying to find a link to the document for you, when I find one I’ll edit this message with it)

Last edited:
Double birthing hasn’t been confirmed yet, but consider that the early design of the reconfigured platforms show a lot of them being extended, and pair that with most GO trains getting shortened significantly and running more often after GO Expansion, and you can probably see why I’m expecting double birthing or more to happen.
Double birthing is a core function of the new signal system.

It has been confirmed since the resignalling of the USRC was launched in 2007.

Dan

Double berthing goes against through running, in case Metrolinx wants to convert most of the lines as through running lines.

Double berthing goes against through running, in case Metrolinx wants to convert most of the lines as through running lines.

It really depends on the frequencies. At high-enough frequencies it might be practical for Kitchener and Barrie line trains (for example) to time simultaneous entry into Union and depart eastbound after turning over passengers.

Basically, if there is a Kitchener train within 2 minutes of the Barrie train, then Barrie train might wait to always tuck in behind the Kitchener train to maintain platform order. This timing can be aligned by Barrie trains holding at Caledonia GO station for up to 2 minutes extra. They would share the same dwell period at Union so throughput at that station should be maintained: very very small fixed blocks or moving blocks would allow near simultaneous eastbound departure of trains too.

Feels kinda fragile though.

I presume there's no way to make the mandatory push-pull continuity test faster or obtain an exemption? If so then step-back drivers would be sufficient.

Last edited:
Running through will reduce capacity versus double berthing. This is why it is being done.
I assume there is provision for some trains to still run through. Are the new platforms they are now building on the south even long enough for double berthing?

Here’s the current platform layout at Union done in the same style as my other map above if you’d all like to compare the two:
You_Doodle+_2023-07-29T23_01_59Z.jpeg

Back