News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

It would be a first! I’m confident we’ll beat 2019’s numbers, for I’m waiting to see what 2924 looks like. Will we see a dip in numbers after people satisfy their pent up travel urges?
I wonder how many of us have here on the forum have had that pent-up travel urge. My family and some friends can be counted as taking advantage of the direct flight to Paris, with 8 of us going.

I wonder how many of us have here on the forum have had that pent-up travel urge. My family and some friends can be counted as taking advantage of the direct flight to Paris, with 8 of us going.
A pile of us (18 people) went to Rome, with some coming back from Paris and some from London. This was last Sept though, but related to travel urges and taking advantage of direct flights.
I would be curious to know how many people here have gone to places like Italy or Japan due to the direct flights being available?

A few of my friends from China have been using the flight to NRT to get across the pacific, then onwards to wherever in china, usually beijing.

There has actually been a decent number of people from Japan using Calgary to connect to Europe. I’ve seen routings for NRT-YYC-LHR/FRA which is a bit of a milk run.

A few of my friends from China have been using the flight to NRT to get across the pacific, then onwards to wherever in china, usually beijing.

There has actually been a decent number of people from Japan using Calgary to connect to Europe. I’ve seen routings for NRT-YYC-LHR/FRA which is a bit of a milk run.
I never thought of people coming from Japan though Calgary to go to Europe, but it makes sense, if someone might want to have a layover in Calgary and go check out Banff.

I never thought of people coming from Japan though Calgary to go to Europe, but it makes sense, if someone might want to have a layover in Calgary and go check out Banff.
I never thought of it either, but it is actually shorter than other likely North American based itineraries:
1692592790512.png
1692592806879.png

It's much shorter to go across Asia; at least as the crow flies -- I think that the actual airliners may not cross North Korean or Iranian airspace, or go over the active invasion of Ukraine.

A pile of us (18 people) went to Rome, with some coming back from Paris and some from London. This was last Sept though, but related to travel urges and taking advantage of direct flights.
I would be curious to know how many people here have gone to places like Italy or Japan due to the direct flights being available?
I took a Japan trip in June due to the new flight and anecdotally know a ton of people who did the same (university grad trips)

I think that the actual airliners may not cross North Korean or Iranian airspace, or go over the active invasion of Ukraine.
A lot of airlines, basically airlines of any country who have been outspoken against the Russian invasion of Ukraine, are actually prohibited from flying over Russian airspace by the Russian Government at the moment, Canadian included.

Adds a lot of time, fuel, and money to fly around Russia. Reminds me of the Soviet days.

This is one reason among many that the airport and westjet are supper excited for the train to Banff (and why if the province gets serious, there will likely be money announced from the airport and transport canada). A super connector based on cost is one thing. Being able to pick up more for tourism layovers is a game changer. I suspect the end result will be extending to Lake Louise with a gondola there to the lakefront, but that is likely nearer the 2040s now than sooner. Gotta get the project as conceived done first!

This is one reason among many that the airport and westjet are supper excited for the train to Banff (and why if the province gets serious, there will likely be money announced from the airport and transport canada). A super connector based on cost is one thing. Being able to pick up more for tourism layovers is a game changer. I suspect the end result will be extending to Lake Louise with a gondola there to the lakefront, but that is likely nearer the 2040s now than sooner. Gotta get the project as conceived done first!
If they were able to get the train done, I could see an expanded bus terminal in Banff to all the destinations in the Rockies. Which will lessen the pollution and needing to build large parking lots, road expansions, etc. and they're already starting to do that with Lake Louise/Morraine Lake. The annoying thing for most people is that you basically have to drive to Banff, so they already have a car after which they don't want to do the park and ride. If they could go completely car free, it'd be a game changer for locals/tourist doing the trip car free. Not to mention connecting the in-between cities of Cochrane, Canmore could also expand the size of those towns.

I’m planning to go to Rome in the spring coming back to Calgary from Paris. I probably would’ve done this trip eventually if we didn’t have the direct flights, but the direct flights madd me want to do it sooner than later.

I don’t how many numbers to back this up but I believe the direct flights have made a difference for many. There will be a group of seven of us going, but would’ve likely been only two of us if the direct flights weren’t there.

I also know some friends who are planning to go to Barcelona, they’ve always wanted to go there, but now that their direct flights suddenly, they are pulling the trigger and finally doing it.

I have a question for the airport, passenger stat experts, here. If a passenger comes in from Saskatoon, and transfers, over to one of the flights to Europe, does that passenger get counted twice in the statistics or just once?

Connecting passengers are typically counted as a single passenger in the total count, regardless of whether they are arriving or departing. This is because they are already accounted for in the count of their origin or final destination airport. The methods used to count passengers can vary depending on the airport and the resources available. Typically by airport staff or automated systems such as electronic sensors, ticketing systems, or boarding pass scans. It would count as 1 passenger movement but would also count as 1 deplanement for when they arrived and 1 enplanement for when they depart.

If the individual has to fully leave the airside terminal, re check in and re clear customs and security or whatever it be it may be counted as 2 passenger movements but this varys from airport to airport.

Back