News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Extensive discussion here (behind the paywall) on the 'more loophole than law' provincial lobbyist registry.

Only third-party lobbyists generally have to register. If you lobby on behalf of your own business/employer, less than 50 hours per month, you are not required to register at all!

Give me a break!

The Star goes on to report about the linkages between companies who had parcels removed from the Greenbelt and those who were very chummy w/Amato (Minister's chief of staff)

Aside from completely reversing the upzoning, without any compensation; and attendant resignations, I want to see the lobbyist rules reformed beginning with 100% of lobbying activity must be registered and publicly disclosed. No exceptions for anyone, ever.

Extensive discussion here (behind the paywall) on the 'more loophole than law' provincial lobbyist registry.

Only third-party lobbyists generally have to register. If you lobby on behalf of your own business/employer, less than 50 hours per month, you are not required to register at all!

Give me a break!

The Star goes on to report about the linkages between companies who had parcels removed from the Greenbelt and those who were very chummy w/Amato (Minister's chief of staff)

Aside from completely reversing the upzoning, without any compensation; and attendant resignations, I want to see the lobbyist rules reformed beginning with 100% of lobbying activity must be registered and publicly disclosed. No exceptions for anyone, ever.
I certainly agree that the rules (and the enforcement) over lobbying need to be improved but 'lobbying' needs to be carefully defined. Developer NorthernLight talking to a Councillor about the redevelopment or rezoning of some property they own or want is different from UTStar NorthernLight writing to the Mayor to say that the City should do x or y. Both COULD be defined as 'lobbying'.

I certainly agree that the rules (and the enforcement) over lobbying need to be improved but 'lobbying' needs to be carefully defined. Developer NorthernLight talking to a Councillor about the redevelopment or rezoning of some property they own or want is different from UTStar NorthernLight writing to the Mayor to say that the City should do x or y. Both COULD be defined as 'lobbying'.
The definition of lobbying is typically tied to a vested interest.

Its not merely offering an opinion, as a private citizen; its actively seeking a policy, legislative or budgetary change which would create financial gain for you or those for whom you are lobbying.

Commenting, on a policy proposal, or a rezoning, as part an open, public, process, would not typically be considered lobbying.

This is the definition from the Integrity Commissioner (current)

1693574069664.png

Last edited:
I personally thought "Ana Condic" was the best (and snakiest) name.
LOL! I didn't notice that at first, I was more wowed by her bio that says she has "a relationship with the PHDs at the World Mushroom Museum in Zagreb."

Also poking around that website look who appeared in the "media" section!

1693686383892.png

Last edited:
An NDP victory followed by eight years of city-destroying, municipal-disrupting Common Sense Revolution? No thanks.
Are you saying that another Ford term would be better? I really thought you would know better after the most recent ethical 'lapses' and refusal to actually accept responsibility.. BTW, I hardly think the NDP have a monopoly on 'municipal disruption' - do you remember the decision to reduce Council by 50%, at the start of an election campaign and with zero advance discussion? or the imposition of strong mayor power or ......

Back