News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

August was another record :cool: Not quite 2M but pushing closer. If we can average 1.5M passengers per month over the last 4 months of 2023, we'll easily beat 2019, and easily top 18M.

I remember back (I think around 2008) when they first announced they were looking into building a new International Terminal, so many of the SSP forumers from certain cities were saying it was a waste of time, that Calgary traffic was probably maxed out already at 10M or whatever it was at the time. :)

2019 Source2023 Source
Jan1,388,2401,226,098
Feb1,341,6731,190,423
Mar1,484,2231,392,200
Apr1,414,9751,385,673
May1,460,0731,557,941
Jun1,576,6501,739,011
Jul1,778,9911,936,088
Aug1,795,4751,949,890
Sep1,530,826
Oct1,453,152
Nov1,292,476
Dec1,441,026
Total17,957,78012,375,234

There used to be plans for a completely overhaul of the entire thing. I know Terminal C is done and they're finishing off moving the check in areas around to do the main concourse sections.

Link

The article is from 2018, some of it has come to fruition the rest may have been derailed by Covid. Im not 100% sure where they stand right now but I believe Terminal B is next.

The writing on the wall tells me that yyc’s growth will probably impact yeg even more as time goes on. As long as WS and AC continue on the path they are going in the region, yyc will be the main hub of the prairies and a lot of interior BC.
Which really is unfortunate for cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg who are now having to be herded through Calgary like branded cattle all to prop up Calgary's passenger numbers, whilst at the same time stifling the growth of other airport. This is why you don't exactly see Edmontonians or Winnipeggers cheering on YYC growth. Why would they? It's done at their detriment.

Which really is unfortunate for cities like Edmonton and Winnipeg who are now having to be herded through Calgary like branded cattle all to prop up Calgary's passenger numbers, whilst at the same time stifling the growth of other airport. This is why you don't exactly see Edmontonians or Winnipeggers cheering on YYC growth. Why would they? It's done at their detriment.
It’s like this is a new issue. The big 4 airports in Canada all draw from their regions and across Canada. It’s actually a good thing. If each airport only served their immediate area then only YYZ, YUL and possibly YVR would have populations big enough to support the vast amount of international travel we have. There is no way YWG would have any European flights (ex maybe LHR). They would just be routed through YYZ

Westjet has applied to serve Iceland

YYC-KEF and YYZ-KEF seem like potential adds for S24

Equipment will likely be a 737 Max 7/8

The Application has been approved. Id assume this would begin when the other Trans-Atlantic seasonal start in April/May.

1. The Licensee is authorized to operate a scheduled international service, large aircraft, on the route(s) set out in the Arrangement.
2. The scheduled international service, large aircraft, is to be conducted in accordance with the Arrangement and any applicable arrangements agreed to between Canada and Iceland.

If YYC wasn’t seeing the growth it is, not much would change for Edmonton or Winnipeg, they would have to go through Toronto or Vancouver instead, and they still have that option. At least for Edmontonians they can drive down to YYC and not have to transfer at another airport.

It’s like this is a new issue. The big 4 airports in Canada all draw from their regions and across Canada. It’s actually a good thing. If each airport only served their immediate area then only YYZ, YUL and possibly YVR would have populations big enough to support the vast amount of international travel we have. There is no way YWG would have any European flights (ex maybe LHR). They would just be routed through YYZ
I've read this forum for years and always laughed at this...literally the case in every country. Germany (frankfurt, munich, berlin), China (beijing, Shangai), Austrialia (sydney, Melbourne), UK (London, Manchester), France (paris), and then closer to home, cities like Buffalo, St Louis, Kansas City, Raleigh, Portland, Cincinatti, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia are good sized cities who get routed to NY, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit, Dallas, Denver, LA, Minny, SF, Seattle

No way, eh. Pretty much this attitude why I would never purposefully assist in making Calgary a major international hub airport in Canada. Calgary would be nothing without Banff and would be just another airport spoke, and with the AC Calgary de-hubbing in progress, this may help other regional airports to attract more direct continental and international flights. I'm not saying YWG will ever get to the level of Canada's big three airport, but less Calgary competition will help both Winnipeg and Edmonton become a bit more competitive, and that is great for the rest of us.

Back