News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

A portal could be built somewhere along the alignment fairly easily, it’s been discussed before that using the 401 is both unnecessary and not ideal anyway. You’d still need a portal, and the 401 lacks any significant ROW space for it compared to Sheppard anyhow.

Now for a western extension beyond Sheppard west, It might use the 401 for a bit out of necessity, terminating at Pearson via Wilson, the 401 and Kitchener corridor.

The 427 is a special exception of needing to use a highway ROW (eventually) since the only dense development is exclusively oriented around it. The 407 gets a pass because the ROW is huge and was built for transit. The 401 comparatively has low nearby density and its stuffed ROW won’t even save any money.

Let’s remember that the issue with Line 4 (if any) is that it’s length means there aren’t enough trips that can make use of it. while sending it via the 401 will make more trips possible, they won’t be easy or feel safe. No one wants to walk to the middle of a highway, MUCH less this one. So just keep it where the people are.

Not saying it's impossible to elevate the subway over Sheppard, starting the elevated section somewhere east of Vic Park. But I doubt Metrolinx will bother. Why make their job harder when they are spending borrowed money, in essence the future public debt.

Agreed that the street alignment is preferable along Sheppard, at least between Don Mills and McCowan.

I would love to see a scrapping of EELRT for real rapid transit, as if it gets built the very underserved neighbourhoods in eastern scarborough will be stuck with the inadequate mode for decades

It is worth doing the cost estimate for an elevated line following the EELRT route. With EELRT estimated at 3+ billion, while not interlining with ECLRT and not being any faster than a bus in RapidTo lanes; perhaps an elevated line will have a better benefit-to-cost ratio.

Anyway, that's a long-term project. When they are investing in Sheppard, they aren't doing Eg East in any form, be it a surface LRT or an elevated line.

I'd be interested to know how much political sway Malvern Town Centre has - if Line 4 is extended along Sheppard to McCowan (as I suspect the plan is), I wonder about the possibility of using the old rail corridor to access the area?
I'm assuming the parking lot could also allow an easy 'end of the line' storage yard built cut-and-cover, with provision for substantial overbuild.

Screenshot 2023-11-02 120438.png

I'd be interested to know how much political sway Malvern Town Centre has - if Line 4 is extended along Sheppard to McCowan (as I suspect the plan is), I wonder about the possibility of using the old rail corridor to access the area?
I'm assuming the parking lot could also allow an easy 'end of the line' storage yard built cut-and-cover, with provision for substantial overbuild.

View attachment 517168

Malvern Town Centre is a dead mall. I wouldn't be surprised if it was redeveloped in the near future.

I don't see it having much sway unless they sold it to the City to build a subway station.

View attachment 517168
Would make sense if there were plans to extend the Scarborough subway up to Malvern.

Would make sense if there were plans to extend the Scarborough subway up to Malvern.

Right now as much as the people of Malvern are crying for it, there is simply no demand for a subway in NE Scarborough.

There may be in 20 years but not right now.

Malvern is kind of a dead end. Not sure it is a great place to route subway to.

Malvern is kind of a dead end. Not sure it is a great place to route subway to.
Stay on Sheppard to Pickering.... there mall is booming. Plus it fulfils an election promise. Maybe somehow Sheppard can come west to Mississauga as well.

Is the plan here to reinvent the EELRT (line 7)? I thought this was priority project for the city always assuming the (line 4) subway was extended to McCowan. Are we changing our minds yet again?
To my post above, here is the map which includes Malvern town:
Screenshot_20231102_095547.jpg

Source

Stay on Sheppard to Pickering.... there mall is booming. Plus it fulfils an election promise. Maybe somehow Sheppard can come west to Mississauga as well.

Ah how I love a troll in the morning..

There was originally a plan to extend Line 2 to Mississauga at one point but that died due to interference from Hazel McCallion. Apparently she did not want Mississauga to pay for a Subway. I still say a subway to Square One would do some serious business.

As for Pickering.. the Pickering Town Centre is being redeveloped. The Kingston Road corridor is booming but that is not enough to warrant a subway.

the Pickering Town Centre is being redeveloped.
There are no such plans for the entire property. There are plans to develop portions, but the owners have clearly stated the mall will remain for the time being.

The residential development will take place on the land to the east of the existing mall, which will remain intact.
Source

Last edited:
Ah how I love a troll in the morning..

There was originally a plan to extend Line 2 to Mississauga at one point but that died due to interference from Hazel McCallion. Apparently she did not want Mississauga to pay for a Subway. I still say a subway to Square One would do some serious business.

As for Pickering.. the Pickering Town Centre is being redeveloped. The Kingston Road corridor is booming but that is not enough to warrant a subway.
You do realize not only is Hazel not the mayor she's dead and gone awhile ago. Times have changed.

Back