News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

My operator today complied with the slow order, is all I can say.

And as a result, the 66 bus pulled away before the tram reached the platform..... just like always. It's good to be back to normal ;-)

- Paul
Didn't see a sign for a slow order when I was by there today. I only started looking once I was mostly over the bridge and I don't remember exactly where the sign would have been.
Pans should not be on slow order as I have seen systems fly along those curves like that without issues.
I agree with you, the issue is that it appears the TTC did not take steps to remove the slow order before reopening the Queensway trackage.

Also noted today that a certain number of the track switches at the intersection have to be operated - and restored - manually. With so many different tram routings needed through the intersection, this sure seems inefficient.

This is likely status quo to the situation before the refurbishment.... and that is the point. To have spent so much in reconstructing the whole intersection, with all the TTC steelwork and wirework, only to install the same old inefficient switch technology.... is just so Toronto.

- Paul

Also noted today that a certain number of the track switches at the intersection have to be operated - and restored - manually. With so many different tram routings needed through the intersection, this sure seems inefficient.

This is likely status quo to the situation before the refurbishment.... and that is the point. To have spent so much in reconstructing the whole intersection, with all the TTC steelwork and wirework, only to install the same old inefficient switch technology.... is just so Toronto.

- Paul
I would like to think the switches are currently manual because they have not yet hooked up the automated parts but it IS the TTC so I have my doubts.

- Paul
My understanding is that they are waiting on Toronto Hydro to go in there and connect the power feeds.

Only then can the TTC's own forces go in and activate the power mechanisms.

Dan

Nov 9
Had to make an unscheduled stop near the area and decided to shoot a video with the DSRL since I didn't have the new camera for shooting videos with me. Will do this at some other time again with the new camera.

Thanks Drum. Second video shows everything wrong with signalling in Toronto. Streetcar arrives at an intersection, sits 10 seconds while nothing moves, sits another several seconds for cars turning left, then eventually trundles along. Dumb as a stump.
This is an especially stupid design because they put a single-stage pedestrian crossing all the way across the intersection even though there is nothing on the other side. So streetcars need to wait for a pedestrian countdown designed for people to cross the entire intersection, while everyone is only crossing halfway.

Nov 9
Had to make an unscheduled stop near the area and decided to shoot a video with the DSRL since I didn't have the new camera for shooting videos with me. Will do this at some other time again with the new camera.
Glendale Avenue is the street leading to the emergency entrance for St. Joseph's Health Centre. So I understand that there needs to be a left turn lane from eastbound The Queensway.

The city could install "Emergency Vehicle Preemption", but they only do so at fire halls. See link. Cost is the reason they don't use it at all intersections.

They could have some sort of transponder that could be activated when ambulances run with their lights flashing. Again cost is more important than health.

Glendale Avenue is the street leading to the emergency entrance for St. Joseph's Health Centre. So I understand that there needs to be a left turn lane from eastbound The Queensway.

The city could install "Emergency Vehicle Preemption", but they only do so at fire halls. See link. Cost is the reason they don't use it at all intersections.

They could have some sort of transponder that could be activated when ambulances run with their lights flashing. Again cost is more important than health.
Many municipalities include communication systems between their emergency vehicles and their signals, including York Region and Peel Region. Toronto is actually unusual for not using vehicle-based emergency vehicle preemption.

Once the communications architecture is in place, the cost of adding emergency vehicle preemption at an intersection is minimal. Many systems nowadays just transmit the vehicle GPS position and speed to the signal control centre, which already has comnections to all the signals, in which case there is no per-intersection cost.

This is an especially stupid design because they put a single-stage pedestrian crossing all the way across the intersection even though there is nothing on the other side. So streetcars need to wait for a pedestrian countdown designed for people to cross the entire intersection, while everyone is only crossing halfway.
The streetcar platforms could be "pedestrian refuge islands", where pedestrians can gather halfway across the intersection. If they need to continue across, they can press another "pedestrian beg" button to get completely across. "Pedestrian refugee islands" are needed instead of so called "safety islands", which don't even have a "beg button" for pedestrians who get caught halfway across big intersections.

Just east of Glendale, there is an emergency access to the ROW to get to the emergency entrance.

There are pedestrian button post at each platform to request the changing of the lights, but they have a box over them at this time considering service started Oct 31. There was to be priority traffic signals for the streetcars and we can see it doesn't exist at this time.

Reactions: DSC
Nov 9
Serviced started On Oct 31 And still not working for both platforms along with pillions
53332749318_d91a55f3c8_b.jpg

53332859914_65115e46df_b.jpg

53332749403_1dde67ef5e_b.jpg

53332749383_753412a9a6_b.jpg

Nov 9
Serviced started On Oct 31 And still not working for both platforms along with pillions
53332749318_d91a55f3c8_b.jpg

53332859914_65115e46df_b.jpg

53332749403_1dde67ef5e_b.jpg

53332749383_753412a9a6_b.jpg
The City seems unnecessarily slow in fully activating traffic signals in general and pedestrian buttons in particular. Another example is the Front/Wellington/Church junction which was (supposedly) finished months ago but the pedestrian buttons are still not working.

Back