News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The Oilers luck and how they run their organization drives me absolutely nuts. Continuously trying to lose and then get McDavid. That damn goal on Saturday night going off Vladar's glove and in. I lose my mind! It should be embarrassing that they're hockey player rehab: The Evander Kane thing with him obviously having off ice issues. Now Perry doing enough to get his contract ripped up then all of sudden back on a roster with the Oilers. Selling their soul to win hockey games, it is embarrassing.

The Perry signing makes me laugh, the Oilers need goaltending and defense, so they go and sign a 3 or 4th line forward! haha.

Getzlaf was never really a villain though, just a big hard checking guy. Perry was all about sticking and slashing people, then he would turtle the second someone tried to hold him accountable for it. Getzlaf would happily fight (and likely win).

The Perry signing makes me laugh, the Oilers need goaltending and defense, so they go and sign a 3 or 4th line forward! haha.

Getzlaf was never really a villain though, just a big hard checking guy. Perry was all about sticking and slashing people, then he would turtle the second someone tried to hold him accountable for it. Getzlaf would happily fight (and likely win).
Unless Skinner keeps playing the way he's been playing. He's been solid the last while during their win streak. If the Oilers get solid goaltending, I can see them winning a cup, the question will be whether the goaltending holds up all season and into the playoffs.

Skinner has been good, don't think he is the guy to steal games in the playoffs though.
He won't steal any games, but just needs to not lose games for them. A lot can happen over the next 4 months, but at the rate the Oilers are going they look they might be the team to beat from the west. Vancouver's looking great, but not near as much playoff experience as Edmonton. Same for Winnipeg, they look great, but not as playoff battle hardened. Van and Winn, both have the advantage of goaltenders who can steal games though. Same for Dallas.

So apparently, Dillon Dube's leave of absence from the team is related to the 2018 WJHC team sex assault charges. 5 players have taken a LOA from their teams related to this incident. London Police are going to have a press conference Feb 5 to discuss and potentially announce charges. Good thing Dube was useless this year since he might face criminal charges, wonder if his contract with the team will be terminated if he is charged with sexual assault....

So apparently, Dillon Dube's leave of absence from the team is related to the 2018 WJHC team sex assault charges. 5 players have taken a LOA from their teams related to this incident. London Police are going to have a press conference Feb 5 to discuss and potentially announce charges. Good thing Dube was useless this year since he might face criminal charges, wonder if his contract with the team will be terminated if he is charged with sexual assault....
Don't worry, the Oilers will sign him.

But in all seriousness, the assuming that this is true, the Flames really screwed up here. Spot the difference: (These are three of the other four players it seems; the fifth isn't in the NHL.)
1706163351163.png
1706163363191.png

1706163512297.jpeg

If -- as it appears -- Dubé's "mental health" break is actually being arrested for sexual assault, it's a really bad look for the team to cover for an alleged rapist by citing his "mental health". Particularly given that since that statement a couple of days ago they've hosted a mental health support evening:
1706163716165.png

and welcomed Oliver Kylington back to the team after a year plus off for dealing with his mental health issues that were, as far as I know, actual perfectly reasonable mental health issues. (Example of why this sucks: I feel like I need to write a disclaimer about Kylington, because the organization that said he took time off for mental health also said the same about Dubé.) It really sours it; it sounds like tons of people around the Flames did a lot of solid work supporting Kylington, that Kylington has done a lot of hard work coming back from actual mental health issues, and he's to be praised for his openness.

Either the Flames PR or the Dubé camp pitched the "mental health" angle of this (and the Flames didn't do any checking), so now Kylington comes back and says stuff like:
1706164300378.png

Just... 🙁

It is a mistake by the Flames to use the term mental health. Especially in the context of Kylington. Although I'm sure Dillion is going through it because that he has likely been charged with sexual assault, they should've left it at "personal matter". I hope they get asked about this by the media and take some accountability. This stuff is like threading a needle, but they have PR people for this.

To be fair, in many or most organizations you can request a leave for reasons of mental health without needing to inform your employer of the specifics. Dube could have requested the leave without telling the team about the potential charges with something like "I am going through some personal mental health issues, here's my doctors note". Not sure if it works that way in professional sports or not as they have team doctors...

Completely agree with points above if the Flames knew the real reason, but before rushing to judgment we should make sure the team actually knew the specifics.

To be fair, in many or most organizations you can request a leave for reasons of mental health without needing to inform your employer of the specifics. Dube could have requested the leave without telling the team about the potential charges with something like "I am going through some personal mental health issues, here's my doctors note". Not sure if it works that way in professional sports or not as they have team doctors...

Completely agree with points above if the Flames knew the real reason, but before rushing to judgment we should make sure the team actually knew the specifics.
I see what you're saying but they knew, if they didn't, they're not very aware.
1. Dube was on that Team Canada Team.
2. He never came out and denied involvement, like Makar did.
3. He has obviously not been himself this season.

Now you cannot punish the player if you suspect anything because I'm sure the team's lawyers would say that opens them up to legal challenges by jumping ahead of the legal process: The NHL and Hockey Canada have done their own investigations but a private company cannot open themselves up to legal challenges from the accused by saying they did something illegal when there have been no charges laid. I'm sure the Flames were advised by the NHL head office on how to handle this.

My point being, this should've surprised no one.

Maybe Dube wasn't quite truthful with the team when they issued their statement. London Police have a press conference scheduled for Feb 5, think some statement will have to come out before then.

Rumour has it Kylington will play tonight, hope that's true, some shred of sunlight through the shadow that now hangs over the team...

Im curious to know if he knew it was coming and the Flames didn't, he asked for a "Mental Health Leave" before the London Police announced they told the 5 to surrender themselves. If he asked for the leave and the flames found out it wasn't for mental health after that isn't on the team, of course timeline of events changes the blame.

Back