News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There was a plan at one time to replace the existing switches and move to switches like these, but disappeared as far as I know. Crosstown have the similar switches as well and TTC drivers will love them flying through them.

Until TTC fixes the switches issues, Streetcar service is going to suck.
Whatever your preaching to the choir here. It's not like we can start a go fund me page and give the TTC money. I'm not really sure what you think posting pictures and talking about things we already know is going to do?

Yup they're a different type of switch then used in the TTC streetcars, what's your point? We should spend money ripping up all of the switches and replace them with ones like that?

They could at least upgrade them when the time comes for replacement.

Speaking of streetcar switches, I was surprised to see that the brand new Coxwell/Gerrard intersection is being operated manually - at least eastbound to southbound. And as 505 has been detouring on Gerrard for a while now - it means that most streetcar operators are having to manually change the switch for each trip.

Speaking of streetcar switches, I was surprised to see that the brand new Coxwell/Gerrard intersection is being operated manually - at least eastbound to southbound. And as 505 has been detouring on Gerrard for a while now - it means that most streetcar operators are having to manually change the switch for each trip.
TTC probably failed to tell Hydro they needed power so are 'in the queue'!

They could at least upgrade them when the time comes for replacement.
It's more complex then just changing the type of switch. The crosstown and finch both have theirs controlled from a central point like the ones on the subway are and have lights to indicate which direction it's set. The ones for the streetcar network aren't controlled and there is no indication to the driver which way the switch is set other then them checking it themselves.

It's more complex then just changing the type of switch. The crosstown and finch both have theirs controlled from a central point like the ones on the subway are and have lights to indicate which direction it's set. The ones for the streetcar network aren't controlled and there is no indication to the driver which way the switch is set other then them checking it themselves.
Crosstown also has block signal on the surface and no idea about the underground. There is no block signals so far for Finch

There was a plan at one time to replace the existing switches and move to switches like these, but disappeared as far as I know. Crosstown have the similar switches as well and TTC drivers will love them flying through them.

Until TTC fixes the switches issues, Streetcar service is going to suck.
I think that you misunderstood the plan.

The TTC is going to replace every switch on the system. This is part of the regular maintenance and upkeep of the system. And as they do, they will be changing the switches to a different geometry that better suits the Flexities.

What they will not be doing is going to double-point switches out on the streets. There is no need to, as doing so will not increase speeds or safety, and will require more maintenance.

The switch control system, on the other hand, is in immediate need for replacement. And while there has been some moves within the Commission to get going on this, they seem to be consistently get kneecapped by the financial dealings and thus have the project getting pushed further and further down the priority list.

Dan

I think that you misunderstood the plan.

The TTC is going to replace every switch on the system. This is part of the regular maintenance and upkeep of the system. And as they do, they will be changing the switches to a different geometry that better suits the Flexities.

What they will not be doing is going to double-point switches out on the streets. There is no need to, as doing so will not increase speeds or safety, and will require more maintenance.

The switch control system, on the other hand, is in immediate need for replacement. And while there has been some moves within the Commission to get going on this, they seem to be consistently get kneecapped by the financial dealings and thus have the project getting pushed further and further down the priority list.

Dan
In other words, the lowest price solution. Never the best solution.

Nov 26
York/Adelaide Intersection is ready now to be pave. Various sections of the road that has been removed for other work, those areas have seen concrete been pour them along with the gap between the track and road...

More track has been installed from the intersection to east of First Canadian Place driveway to the point it stills needs a top coat. More track will be install this come week up to Sheppard or further east once the rest of the cut road is remove and the base for the rail install. Expect another road closure next weekend to get the track lay as well finished the topcoat for driveways. Where there is an open trench or track work not finished. especially for driveways, steel plates will be install over it today as crews were cleaning up the road for tomorrow.

So we are getting close to have Adelaide done by either year end or early January. Once that is done, the OS can be install to have the 501 using Adelaide St for eastbound come Mach. As for York St southbound track, it looks like that will be later than March as you have put in a switch on Queen going eastbound to go south.

It would be a good idea of putting in an westbound switch to go south for further short tuning for the 501. How about one for Richmond??

Not a TTC related inquiry, but since there is no catch all tram thread, this will do.

Is there anyone who is able to explain to me how it is possible that low floor trams like the Skoda Artic are able to have fully rotating trucks while still being low floor? I have never ridden one, but interior photos I've been able to find of the 45 T cars in Brno do not seem to show a wildly different configuration than our own Flexitys. What black magic is at play here?

1702420163826.jpeg

1702420197454.jpeg

Photo credits to manil from bmhd.cz.

Not a TTC related inquiry, but since there is no catch all tram thread, this will do.

Is there anyone who is able to explain to me how it is possible that low floor trams like the Skoda Artic are able to have fully rotating trucks while still being low floor? I have never ridden one, but interior photos I've been able to find of the 45 T cars in Brno do not seem to show a wildly different configuration than our own Flexitys. What black magic is at play here?

View attachment 526692
View attachment 526693

Photo credits to manil from bmhd.cz.
Well, the first problem with your assumption is that they are "fully rotating". They are not - they do have a good amount of rotation, but they are also limited by the various bits of structure in the way to about 10 or 15 or maybe 20 degrees in either direction.

The second is that the minimum radius of the track is also a huge factor in determining what is possible. Toronto's minimum radius is about 36 feet, which is considerably tighter than most European systems - and the ones that do operate on curves that tight usually do so on narrow gauge track. Most of Germany standardized on a minimum 100 foot radius curve, for instance.

So in the Toronto context, when the TTC went asking for options for what became the Flexity cars, Bombardier felt that this design - which they've offered variations on to other systems with similarly tight curves - was the best one suited for here

In the case of Brno, I can't speak to what their system's standards are. I don't know if they have curves as tight as Toronto's. Perhaps they don't, and so the version of the Artic that they received can easily handle their curves.

Dan

MM13.23 - Purchase Order Amendment on Contract with Midome Construction Services Limited for the New Streetcar Tracks on Adelaide Street - by Deputy Mayor Ausma Malik, seconded by Councillor Alejandra Bravo​

Motion without Notice
Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 10 - Spadina - Fort York
Attention
* This Motion has been deemed urgent by the Chair.
* This Motion is not subject to a vote to waive referral. This Motion has been added to the agenda and is before Council for debate.

Recommendations​

Deputy Mayor Ausma Malik, seconded by Councillor Alejandra Bravo, recommends that:

1. City Council authorize an amendment to Purchase Order #6054610 and Contract 23ECS-RD-09SP with Midome Construction Services Limited for the installation of new streetcar tracks and associated infrastructure on Adelaide Street, between York Street and Victoria Street in the amount of $3,376,905.60 net of Harmonized Sales Tax, revising the current Purchase Order value from $40,240,992 net of Harmonized Sales Tax to up to $43,617,897.60 net of Harmonized Sales Tax.

Summary​

The purpose of this Motion is to seek on behalf of the Chief Engineer and Executive Director, Engineering and Construction Services and the General Manager, Transportation Services, City Council's authorization to amend Purchase Order #6054610 and contract 23ECS-RD-09SP with Midome Construction Services Limited dated March 29, 2023, for the installation of new streetcar tracks and associated infrastructure on Adelaide Street, between York Street and Victoria Street. This work is a part of the planned streetcar detour around the Ontario Line Queen Street closure.

The project, delivered by the City and funded by Metrolinx, is progressing well and is on schedule for completion by spring 2024. In accordance with Item 2023-GG2.16, approved by City Council on March 29, 2023, Midome Construction Services Limited was awarded a non-competitive contract totalling $40,240,992, exclusive of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries to deliver the work. While the final approved agreement and purchase order from Metrolinx to the City includes contingency funds totalling $3,376,905.60, net of Harmonized Sales Tax, the original council-approved contract and Purchase Order did not include these contingency funds. This omission was due to the streetcar detour works agreement between the City and Metrolinx not being finalized and signed until March 29, 2023, the same day the construction contract was approved by Toronto City Council.

To enable the utilization of the contingency amount within the awarded contract to Midome, City Council approval is required.

The total value of the Purchase Order Amendment being requested is $3,376,905.60, net of Harmonized Sales Tax, revising the current Purchase Order value from $40,240,992 net of Harmonized Sales Tax to up to $43,617,897.60 net of Harmonized Sales Tax. The full value of this Purchase Order Amendment will be funded by Metrolinx, in accordance with the City’s agreement with Metrolinx and the TTC dated March 29, 2023. Given the urgent nature of this work, the Metrolinx-funded works will temporarily be accommodated within the 2023-2032 Transportation Services Major Roads Rehabilitation capital budget (CTP 315-06) until a budget adjustment is made in the subsequent capital variance report.

Reason for urgency: Construction work is currently taking place on Adelaide Street.

Dec 15
Bay-Adelaide intersection was re-opened to Bay traffic at 2:30 today and ahead of the 4 pm opening. There was very little work to clean up at 2 pm other than some sweeping was needed as well removing the pillions up Bay as well at King.

Adelaide was close eastbound at York with gridlock on it as well York. It was to be open at 4 pm as well.

The rest of the trackwork will not be completed east of Yonge and west of Bay until Jan or Feb or later, depending on the weather as well the remaining work Midome Construction still has to do.

I don't know when TTC will start string the OS supports as well York intersection.

As for York Street work, no clue when it will happen as well installing the switch(s) at Queen St It would be nice to see a T connection at Richmond as well.

Back