News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Which, considering that nobody has ever committed a single Dollar towards building HSR in this country, unfortunately doesn’t say much…
well technically the wynne govt started HSR for london to toronto. it was then immediately canned by ford.

that is why we need a private entity like brightline to handle these projects. at least they dont rely on the political wind to provide their funding.

Well, looks like we'll be choosing a high speed option. We'll see whether a final funding commitment will be made in 3 years.

This is excellent news... I'm just frustrated there's been 8 ish years of Liberal government with not a lot of high-speed rail to show for it!

Hopefully having big businesses like rolling stock builders, rail operators and major construction companies pushing for the line will help secure the case for the project.

well technically the wynne govt started HSR for london to toronto. it was then immediately canned by ford.

that is why we need a private entity like brightline to handle these projects. at least they dont rely on the political wind to provide their funding.

Brightline is not HSR in Florida, and is not particularly frequent and runs over a much shorter distance, and still received public help.

Brightline West is seeking at least 4B USD in public subsidies, if not more.

I don't think you'll avoid government in this equation at all.

This is excellent news... I'm just frustrated there's been 8 ish years of Liberal government with not a lot of high-speed rail to show for it!

Hopefully having big businesses like rolling stock builders, rail operators and major construction companies pushing for the line will help secure the case for the project.

It's definitely taken way too long but things in Canada tend to move at a snails pace so it's par for the course.

This CEO has been making the rounds throughout Quebec and Ontario drumming up support, making speeches at Rail Industry conferences and Chamber of Commerce's. He also recently met with Premier Ford and Caroline Mulroney. We'll see if his efforts bear fruit.

Having the Ontario Conservatives supporting this project would increase its chances in the likelihood the federal conservatives win the election. It's mostly Ontario that he needs to shore up more support considering how adamant the politicians in Quebec have been in pushing for the HSR project.

Brightline is not HSR in Florida, and is not particularly frequent and runs over a much shorter distance, and still received public help.

Brightline West is seeking at least 4B USD in public subsidies, if not more.

I don't think you'll avoid government in this equation at all.
its higher speed rail but semantics aside about the speed and route, it showed how a successful private rail network can be done here. route alignment and scope didnt change with the govt seasons. that in itself accounts for a huge chunk on why things just cant get done here. not sure why people are so afraid of it.

its higher speed rail but semantics aside about the speed and route, it showed how a successful private rail network can be done here. route alignment and scope didnt change with the govt seasons. that in itself accounts for a huge chunk on why things just cant get done here. not sure why people are so afraid of it.

The State of Florida made huge contributions in the form of land rights and easements. Those were a more voter friendly form if support than cash subsidy or capital investment, but they have a huge material cost to the Florida taxpayer. Don’t assume for a moment that Brightline was devoid of government handout.

- Paul

The new CEO has been signaling this for the past couple months in interviews so seems to be only a matter of time before they officially re-brand this project as High Speed Rail. This is a pretty ambitious project so hopefully their meticulous years-long development approach doesn't result in the project getting killed by the political winds in Ottawa.

Might be recency bias but it feels like this is as close we've been to confirming a high speed rail project in this country.
The CEO either has received a subtle nod from Cabinet or is writing cheques that government won't or can't cash. I doubt it will be a platform line in the next election and the next parliament - whoever runs it - can easily distance themselves from it.

Who is winding down what's left of non-corridor rail service?

I must have missed that announcement.

There is no highway (or road) to Churchhill, MB and building one would likely cost more than replacing the entire LD Fleet........

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here......
Not rail per se but I recall the government announcing its intention to wind down subsidies/tax breaks for the oil and gas industry. There are many other talking points between the federal and western provincial governments. So long there are two points, a politician can draw a straight line between them if it suits them.

Interesting comment- would make sense for Montreal, but perhaps an East Harbor station in Toronto?
While officials are primarily looking at serving downtown Montreal and Toronto with the new line, it’s possible that stations in those two cities could end up outside the central business district, Imbleau said.

“The initial scheme that we’re considering and discussing is that the stations in Toronto and Montreal would be downtown,” he told reporters after his speech. “I say ‘initial’ because let’s give ourselves some room to manoeuvre to position the infrastructure to ensure that we see a shift in transportation” patterns.

Interesting comment- would make sense for Montreal, but perhaps an East Harbor station in Toronto?

It’s good to be undogmatic, but I’d much rather sacrifice the MTRL-QBEC branch than the downtown station at Gare Centrale, especially since those who say on their hands while the CDPQ bulldozed the only plausible route between the two cities are based in QBEC…

I mean, if it makes sense for the private sector to start running passenger trains in Canada, then why doesn't CN and/or CPKC just get back into the passenger train business?
A private consortium is just going to have to ask CN or CPKC for the rights to use their tracks, or spends billions laying down their own tracks.

I mean, if it makes sense for the private sector to start running passenger trains in Canada, then why doesn't CN and/or CPKC just get back into the passenger train business?
A private consortium is just going to have to ask CN or CPKC for the rights to use their tracks, or spends billions laying down their own tracks.

A private operator will be operating the HFR/HSR service in this corridor, according to the RFP VIA put out. Dedicated tracks will need to be laid as part of the project, funded with a mix of public and private money.

or we could legislate Open Access.

A fever dream of mine would be to make use of Toronto's midtown corridor, although that would never happen. Regardless, Peterborough needs this missing link.

or we could legislate Open Access.
“Open Access” in a North American context is the equivalent to suddenly forcing you to rent out a room of the condo you live in at below-market rates. It’s nothing short of a partial expropriation, which would entail extreme levels of litigation and send shockwaves across the Canadian Economy…

“Open Access” in a North American context is the equivalent to suddenly forcing you to rent out a room of the condo you live in at below-market rates. It’s nothing short of a partial expropriation, which would entail extreme levels of litigation and send shockwaves across the Canadian Economy…
the Class Is are utilities not mom and pop bakeries. Europe managed to implement this across two dozen countries and Canada runs and hides without a fight. Implement analogous legislation and see what the Supreme Court says about it. It’s not even free access! They will get paid by the third party operators!

Back