Will part 2 of the build connect the two towers like seen in the render? First photo is from Feb 7 viewing out of Princess Margaret cancer research tower

tempImageRy9kcx.jpg

1707618713879.png

The second phase is going to look really imposing. And probably in a good way.

Phase 2 will be directly across from Women’s College Hospital. I wonder if it will act as a sort of research tower?

Saves work; just have to change the map pin back to purple, LOL
We don't flip things to 'Under Construction' until shoring rigs show up, so the pin will remain black during demolition, but the colour switch will be flipped one the site is levelled and the first digging is ready to commence!

The two towers will connect at the base.

They’re doing the demolition, but haven’t completed design for the second phase yet.

The renders look like they’ll connect across the first 5ish floors. If they stick with that design, it’s kind of wild that they’ll be taking off curtainwall and cladding that was so recently installed.

We don't flip things to 'Under Construction' until shoring rigs show up, so the pin will remain black during demolition, but the colour switch will be flipped one the site is levelled and the first digging is ready to commence!

It's blue (completed) currently though. 🙀

The renders look like they’ll connect across the first 5ish floors. If they stick with that design, it’s kind of wild that they’ll be taking off curtainwall and cladding that was so recently installed.
Also: Not sure all the cladding would be removed for that...as the render in question hints at an atrium like set-up between to two buildings. Which would be impressive in it's own right if that's what they're planning.

The pin for phase 1 will continue to be marked 'complete'. We are anticipating a new submission for phase 2 at which point a new database page will be created with a new pin on the map. We can link multiple database pages to a single thread so this thread can continue to be used for discussions related to both phases and their connected spaces.

This morning. The seating and planters out front are excellent IMO. They need to address the pedestrian desire line on the west side to the Firefighters Memorial though.

With respect, I disagree with @greenleaf about the landscape. It’s a weird configuration: benches that are perpendicular to the sidewalk and crammed quite close to the plantings between them.

The benches themselves are also, being made of grey concrete, quite uncomfortable.

We’ll see how people behave in this area, but I think it’s ill-conceived. Any thoughts on this, @Northern Light?

With respect, I disagree with @greenleaf about the landscape. It’s a weird configuration: benches that are perpendicular to the sidewalk

In theory, I could live with doing some of that; because I get the idea, when you're position seating, you're thinking of what the people sitting are looking out at. However, MARS isn't terrible to look at across the street, and the seating does seem too close together.

I also don't get the funny use of angles on some of the benches here, for a building that's so muscular and straight and symmetrical, I actually feel like this was more of a place for a typical Janet Rosenberg touch. That is to say, a bit of formality and clean-lines structure.

I often give Janet a hard time for landscapes that are too 'art gallery' and not enough practicality; but this would be that spot.

It would also play well with the landscape choices in front of MARS but in a more contemporary way.

and crammed quite close to the plantings between them.

Absolutely this; if only because, visuals aside, if you look at how narrow the leg space is in front many of the benches, the ability of anyone to walk in front of them, even to sit down further is hampered.

The benches themselves are also, being made of grey concrete, quite uncomfortable.

At least some of the seating should have backrests and arm rests as many people require these; they need not be universal, but their total absence is problematic.

Stone, at least, isn't quite as bad as metal; which the TTC uses on outdoor seats at stations, even though it can become icy cold in winter and get hot enough in sunshine to cause a burn.

Still, wood or composite are preferable from that perspective; but I don't mind some stone, again, is the choice to go all one way here....

We’ll see how people behave in this area, but I think it’s ill-conceived. Any thoughts on this, @Northern Light?

I'm suspicious that the interior (planting bed-facing) seating won't be fully utilized.

However, the problem is, if I'm wrong, I suspect the narrow leg space will resulting in trampling of the planting beds.

I've definitely seen much worse, at least the soil volumes are good.

But I think there was plenty of room to do better.

Back