What do you think of this project?

• Total voters
I get what @Clearshades is referring to. IMO subdivisions like that aren’t really “sprawl” because they were purposefully built with substantial space and distance from the city verses the suburbs that build on the end of each other continually outward (and eventually surround these pre-existing subdivisions). It’s almost like they’re a yardstick to measure how far surburban sprawl has occurred.

My dad lives just out in a subdivision south of Big Lake in Parkland county but a stones throw from the Edmonton boundary. It was first developed in the 1970s, way before Edmonton had even annexed Winterburn. Now the neighbourhoods of Kinglet and Hawks Ridge are building right up against it. It’s been fascinating to see how fast new suburban development happens when all the pieces are in place.

Loblaws now has a more secure entrance/exit for obvious reasons

20240223_123333.jpg

20240223_123324.jpg

I really hope this store survives. I freakin' love it for grabbing a few quick items after work (how urban)

I buy Fairlife 1.5L milk and the price has gone up over the past two years to $5.99 for the past year. That's been consistent now at all food stores until two weeks ago Loblaws increased their price to $7.99. WTF lol

I buy Fairlife 1.5L milk and the price has gone up over the past two years to $5.99 for the past year. That's been consistent now at all food stores until two weeks ago Loblaws increased their price to $7.99. WTF lol
I buy the same stuff...but not from this store lol

I really hope this store survives. I freakin' love it for grabbing a few quick items after work (how urban)
I wonder as well. Our "urban format" grocery experiences have generally had very rocky runs over the years (e.g. Sobeys 104 and College Plaza, although at least the latter is now an H Mart).

Last edited:
I wonder as well. Our "urban format" grocery experiences have generally had very rocky runs over the years (e.g. Sobeys 104 and College Plaza, although at least the former is now an H Mart).
I've been to both this store and the Safeway on Jasper, and they both look fairly busy, clean and well stocked.

As for the prices, City Market is likely the most expensive chain grocery store in the country (the Brewery District one is still my go-to store, and it's not at all cheaper than the ICE District one), so that doesn't shock me, and I hardly think it'll be the reason for this store to fail.

I wonder as well. Our "urban format" grocery experiences have generally had very rocky runs over the years (e.g. Sobeys 104 and College Plaza, although at least the former is now an H Mart).

PSA: That H-Mart is amazing and if anyone is looking for an affordable and delicious meal, either for take out or sit down, they should stop by H-Mart. 👍

Over served between existing Chinatown and current offerings.

That said, how about it taking over the old Best Buy?

I wonder as well. Our "urban format" grocery experiences have generally had very rocky runs over the years (e.g. Sobeys 104 and College Plaza, although at least the latter is now an H Mart).
If Urban means cramped like mom and pap stored then yes as both Sobeys and this are the same. As per performance, don't expect success from singles only domain. Bachelor and bachelorette won't power shop like mom and dad with children as some here stated of a good meal here or there. A family can't afford a good meal here or there as routinely as singles can.

Back