Who remembers this pitch?
Paramount+Theatre+Music+Venue+2.jpg

*imagine this is paired with a redo next door?

I'm not sure about the business case for a venue like that, but a newly built/renovated venue like that is exactly whats missing in Edmonton. Bigger than Starlight room, but smaller than the convention centre, and in a better spot and nicer than Union Hall.

That size of venue is almost adequately addressed by Midway, but I wish it was downtown or somewhere immediately on Whyte. I would love to see this kind of theatre/venue located centrally as I could see it bringing a bunch of vibrancy to the area. The marquee is always cool to see.

I keep forgetting that The Midway exists! All I know is that Barry Ts occupied that space back in the good old days. And The Union used to be The Thunderdome during the 90s and Goose Loonies during the 80s.

The Paramount as a nightlife venue needs to be downtown c/w historical marquee to replace long-shuttered venues such as New City.
They may as well resurrect the Silk Hat while they're at it.

That size of venue is almost adequately addressed by Midway, but I wish it was downtown or somewhere immediately on Whyte. I would love to see this kind of theatre/venue located centrally as I could see it bringing a bunch of vibrancy to the area. The marquee is always cool to see.
midway is alright, but its location is awful, and its held back as a music venue by the fact that it was built as a nightclub.

I'm not sure about the business case for a venue like that, but a newly built/renovated venue like that is exactly whats missing in Edmonton. Bigger than Starlight room, but smaller than the convention centre, and in a better spot and nicer than Union Hall.
Went to Union Hall recently and wow did they mess it up good. Raising the sunken floor and moving the stage to the back where the raised areas are completely eliminated about half of the good sightlines. To even see the artist you either need to rush the stage or be 6'2". Midway by comparison is far better, but as stated above is in a terrible location.
We desperately need a properly designed venue that slots in between Starlite and ECC where guests can actually see the artist and it doesn't sound like shit.

I remember that and believe that this was in the running, but due to a variety of code requirements and limited back of house it didn't cut the mustard.

Back