I'd rather see it retained as a movie theatre... Or even a community space of sorts... Or if redeveloped find a way to retain and perhaps even expand its arts hub status... Frankly I'd really love to see a long-term plan to revive and restore the movie palaces of Jasper Avenue the way that both Vancouver and LA have done the same to their original theatre districts... We've already lost a lot along the way though so it would probably a losing battle... RIP... Gem, Dreamland, Odeon, Pantages/Strand, Capitol, Rialto, Paramount...

And considering that the only useful thing that will come out of it is what a ramp to a parkade that really shouldn't be built... Not the best trade off...
I remember just a few of these. However, my dad used to talk glowingly of many of the theatres in the area. I think he really enjoyed going from on to another when he was young seeing various movies. We actually had quite the entertainment district built up back then downtown, now it is almost all gone. It would be nice if we could keep something from this, other than just signs and plaques in front of other buildings. It was nice to see the Pantages in Hollywood when I went there last year. It adds character and vibrancy to the area. Our downtown needs more of that.

My point exactly. If you want a lively downtown you can't stack it ENTIRELY with Oodle Noodle's and 7-11's and needed and popular as they are... You need focal points that may not be moneymakers onto themselves but are magnet event spaces that can draw people into the area.

I do find it rather peculiar how the preservation argument is minimized here DESPITE WAY more actual history being made in the Paramount than some other so-called "threatened" buildings... After all this was the theatre that the Premier had a weekly radio show from... Not my political stripe but certainly an important distinction to make.

BTW, does the Garneau have a backstage? I've always been curious to know about that. Same with the defunct/shuttered/dormant Avenue. Princess doesn't I am sure but that doesn't mean it/wasn't isn't worthy of preservation either.

And also for what? A ramp? I thought the city was striving to make parking optional/minimized especially in the urban core. Especially on a corner lot that has DIRECT subway-LRT access... Seems like a totally counterintuitive move to me... And what parking in ample supply within a half block radius? Give me a break... It seems to me that you could easily develop a tower ABOVE the existing auditorium's air space or even just next to it (as the last rendering tends to show) without destroying its unique history and use...

BTW, does the Garneau have a backstage? I've always been curious to know about that. Same with the defunct/shuttered/dormant Avenue. Princess doesn't I am sure but that doesn't mean it/wasn't isn't worthy of preservation either.
Garneau does not have a backstage to speak of, but they also do very little in the way of live performances. The twice-annual Rocky Horror Picture Show with shadow cast is the only significant one I can think of, and that team uses the basement (which does have a green room) for storage and prep, and uses the side stage areas (which are also emergency exits) for quick changes.

But clearly it's not a dealbreaker to operation so there goes that excuse....

Yes I realize that renovations would be needed to bring it up to "theatrical" standards if you wanted a Citadel-class experience. This is not what I imagine though MOST groups not screening films would need so that whole argument that it would cost too much to upgrade or it's trying to do too many thing is a moot point...

If it's good enough for Garneau/Princess/Avenue, I don't see why using the Paramount in some capacity as I've described can't be done other than sheer laziness on the part of the owner...

But clearly it's not a dealbreaker to operation so there goes that excuse....
It’s not really an excuse, so much as it is just a point at how limited the building’s reuse prospects are. If it’s not a film theatre then its next best option would be a live theatre, right? But even there its prospects are tight.

I’ll fully concede, however, that the lack of back-rooms might not be a complete deal breaker — at least wholly. Upon further examination, there was a time, following Famous Players pulling the plug on it, that the Paramount operated as a live-event space. Hell, even the Edmonton Opera pressed it into service while the Jubilee was being renovated. However, it ultimately failed in its live role, in part due to its space restrictions. Between 2004 and 2005 it struggled hard and could only successfully attract a dozen bookings a month at most. That lack of success led to talks of it maybe becoming a nightclub (like New City at the old Odeon) or a grocery store instead and was a direct reason it was sold to Procura for redevelopment in October 2005.

So, with that in mind, the building’s only viable alternative (at least as anything worthwhile) would be returning to a movie theatre. Frankly I’d love to see it! It’s a beautiful building and it’d be great to see it reanimate a section of Jasper. However, I sincerely doubt a national chain like Cineplex would try their hand at running it given their huge focus on suburban multiplexes. As you suggest, that leaves something like Metro Cinema or Magic Lantern to fill the void, but I don’t know if they could pull it off. Then-owner Kelly Pope leased it out to the Edmonton Downtown Development Corp — another community-focused, non-profit company — who tried their hand at successfully running it (as a live venue, not a theatre, but still) and they couldn’t pull it off. The looming threat of modernizing was another massive deterrent to its success, with then-director of the E.D.D.C., Susan McGee, estimating the projected cost as being upwards of $200,000 — a not inconsequential sum for a non-profit.

Coupled with that (much as I hate to say it), I don’t think Joe Edmontonian is ready for a standalone downtown cinema — truly a sad indictment of how far we still have to go as a city. One needs to look no further than Landmark Theatres at City Centre. It’s a nice cinema and I go there when I have the choice, but even with the huge City Centre parkade it can’t draw suburbanites through its doors regularly. I’ve been to plenty of showings there and it’s almost always a ghost town. If a suburban-styled multiplex in a heated mall with on-site parking can't draw people in I have serious reservations that a freestanding one, sans the parking, UltraAVX, Imax, or whatever, could.

I’d wager much of the Garneau and Princess’ success is owed to their location. Strathcona, McKernan, and Garneau are a hotbed of young-adults, students, more-urban-minded-types, artsy-folk. The kinds who prefer independent/local-run places, something within walking distance, the more curated selection... Not saying that those types of people don’t live Downtown or in Oliver obviously, but I imagine it’s in lower concentration and wouldn’t be able to sustain a theatre of that type as well in the Paramount's location.

I do find it rather peculiar how the preservation argument is minimized here DESPITE WAY more actual history being made in the Paramount than some other so-called "threatened" buildings... After all this was the theatre that the Premier had a weekly radio show from... Not my political stripe but certainly an important distinction to make.
Now to tie everything up, that’s why I’m not advocating for a full building retention here. It’s not because I don’t value its history (I’ve done my part trying to correct a historical misattribution about the Paramount in the past) or that I’m a dunce who has some weird flip-flopping standard of what should be or shouldn’t be saved (assuming you mean my stance on the Archibald Block here, given the “so-called ‘threatened’ buildings” comment), but I see it as the best case scenario here. I’m trying to be a realist with this one. In comparison with the Archibald — a purpose-built retail building that could be converted into basically anything and isn't — the Paramount is a purpose-built cinema which can't be converted into much more than some kind of venue, where its chances are thin. With that in mind, to me, the only viable future the Paramount has is being grafted onto something else. And that’s a damn shame, I fully agree.

Yet that never seems to be a consideration for other pet projects in this city... Sorry, that crow won't caw.

The conversion of other theatres -- in terms of repurposing -- might suggest hope for the Paramount...

"Status: On The Boards"
Anyone know what that means? My Google search wasn't very helpful.
It must mean that progress is being made on the back-end, because the retail brochure on the One Properties project page states that construction will begin in 2022, with occupancies starting in 2025. I'm a bit skeptical about that, because no permit applications have been summited yet.

"On the Boards" in architectural parlance means that it is drawing production stage -- whether those are drawings for concept proposal or for construction drawings is not clear -- the best to take from this is that there is a project moving forward, but the stage of that project is unclear. If I were to guess, I would say a new proposal is forthcoming.

Interesting setbacks...

Humphreys-Partners-Urban-Architecture-Edmonton-Office-Tower-Rendering-Aerial.jpg

Back