I like the colour too. Why do people have a problem with bold colour? I've also heard people dislike the blue of the AGO but I think it's nice to see these little bursts of colour in the streets of Toronto which are pretty grey most of the year.

I don't think it's silly at all, it's looks hot to me. I want to rub myself all over it.

groan.gif

does anyone know what the black cladding is made of? it's very interesting. i dont think it looks attractive in pictures but when i saw it up close i became very impressed.

I agree. Through no fault of our many contributing photographers, one has to see this cladding up close to appreciate how good it looks. Even with a haze of construction dust, the materials still look really sharp.

So, is it the moiré effect in the cladding between the windows that you find silly?

Ugh, I really don't like that office portion. The cladding looks so silly.

Silly? Maybe a bit 'formal' and rather different from the more 'normal' all glass curtain wall but still damn nice, in my opinion! It is perhaps wiser to avoid criticism (or praise) until the building is all done but so far I'm quite encouraged.

Its looking pretty good so far. And wait until the towers start to rise. They are really going to stand out. Just like how the third Pinnacle tower stands out from everything around it.

So, is it the moiré effect in the cladding between the windows that you find silly?

Well they are both nice cladding, just the two don't go together well at all. I think that is the point, but I just think the idea of having two different style claddings on what is really one building, silly. Ugly would be another word I'd use. I'll really reserve judgement until it's finished, but as of right now that's how I feel.

It's not really one building tho. It's more like 5 or 6 buildings being built right up beside each other and at the same time. The office, hotel, and retail components are all completely separate so it makes sense that it would read as different from the street. That and the needs of a hotel's cladding are distinct from that of an office (the hotel needs smaller, operable windows). Not to mention that the building would be overwhelmingly bland if they tried to cover such a large surface area in one uniform pattern

It's not really one building tho. It's more like 5 or 6 buildings being built right up beside each other and at the same time. The office, hotel, and retail components are all completely separate so it makes sense that it would read as different from the street. That and the needs of a hotel's cladding are distinct from that of an office (the hotel needs smaller, operable windows). Not to mention that the building would be overwhelmingly bland if they tried to cover such a large surface area in one uniform pattern

It is one building that consists of a podium and two towers.
And who says it has to be one pattern? I just don't like the mixture they chose. The hotel portion is sweet, and so is the office, just NOT together.

Back