• Thread starter TheAlmightyFuzzy
  • Start date
Awesome news! Butt ugly mini plazas like that have no place in the urban environment.

Why is that coffee shop "infamous" by the way?

January 5

It has reached ground level on the south side. Photo from the east side of the site looking southwest.
3178514772_dbe7aa21df_b.jpg

West side looking south from Queen.
3178514778_a2e93306c2_b.jpg

Apparently the owner of Il Gatto Nero on College St. will be opening a restaruant in this building.

Baywood Homes will be constructing a "Flatiron" building on the site directly south of The Gladstone Hotel to replace the infamous Country Site coffee shop.

The proposal was rejected by the planning department for being too tall (10 floors I think). They want it to match the 8 floors approved for the Bohemian Embassy. It's going to the OMB I belive.

The proposal was rejected by the planning department for being too tall (10 floors I think). They want it to match the 8 floors approved for the Bohemian Embassy. It's going to the OMB I belive.

I guess you are referring to this ?

1181 Queen St W (Queen West Triangle, Baywood, 10s)

If so ... I think the zoning matters have been approved by the OMB for 10s mixed use building, and Baywood have since submitted Site Plan Approval application (the next step) in October 2008 to push this project forward

Looking beyond the wall

100.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY
A hole in the hoarding offers a glimpse of workers pouring concrete at the Bohemian Embassy project.

Hmm...cringe-worthy name aside, I have to say I am rather excited about this project. There are *very* few examples in Toronto of mid-rise developments underway on old main streets, and when developers propose them people often scream bloody murder. I think BoEm (eeeeeccchhh!) and its pending sisters could demonstrate that, to the extent sites ripe for intensification exist (ie, strip malls, gas stations, parking lots and so on) there's nothing wrong with going several stories above the 3-4 norm.

Back