8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

E

eighties

Hi,

Is there anything wrong with apartments on top floor and close to elevator? Will there be too much noise? Which are the "bad" floors/positions for apartments?

well, depends how you take it. But by the garbage shut is bad. You can hear people throwing out garbage at any time of day though not constantly noisy. However I've heard if you're by the elevator, it is noisy. (the elevator runs up and down all day long). If you're near the roof, it might get noisy? At the top floor of my work place, I hear the fan or something running all day long. It's not a loud noise but if the room is quiet you can hear it.

Residents & guests getting off an elevator with doors closing shut can be disturbing if your sensitive to noise. The increased potential of bugs and noise are a reason not to be near a garbage chute. I've lived in quite a few buildings, two on the top floor. 20 Carlton was fine but 88 Bloor E. was a disaster with rooftop mechanicals. In the event of a power failure or evacuation you've got the most amount of stairs to go up & down which is a plus if your so inclined. Some newer buildings have a backup generator which keep one elevator in service during a power failure but most apartments don't. If a great view is important to you and you find a building that has one, you have to weigh the options. A good thing to a top floor suite is no one lives above you so you won't have people stomping around above you and have a greatly reduced chance of a flood.

I bought my condo near the end of the hall near the fire exits.No traffic noise from the chutes or elevator,and if I want to take the stairs down its only 12 floors.Dont have to worry about other tenants walking by door.

The problem with living near the hall exits in my building is that some obviously bored kids knock on your door, and then run down the staris. I admit I did this myself too =P

The problem with living near the hall exits in my building is that some obviously bored kids knock on your door, and then run down the staris. I admit I did this myself too =P

I live at the end of a hall next to the exit and I've learned that crack heads + stairwell = problem

it really depends on the location of the condo and if it has 24 security re: stairwells.

Would you guys buy a condo on the 13th floor?. I was curious if resale value would be negatively affected b/c some people may be superstitious.

lol, was it Regent Park?? No, but how does noone catch them, does noone in your building use the stariwell??

lol, was it Regent Park?? No, but how does noone catch them, does noone in your building use the stariwell??

No, not Regent Park but downtown. We have security guards at night & random patrols during the day. Sometimes they'll catch them on patrols and they issue them a trespass notice plus they go searching when noise/problems are reported but it's a game of cat 'n mouse in a big building like this. It's especially bad when a dealer gets in, it can take months to get rid of them.

If it is a new construction project, then take into account that if your unit is lower to grade, then you will probably move into occupancy sooner than a unit that is higher up in the same building.

If you want to move into your unit quicker, than a lower floor unit may be a good choice. Alternatively, if you want to pay less in occupancy fees (closer to closing date) then buy a unit close to the top.

Additionally, take into account the direction your unit will be facing. For instance, if you enjoy watching sunrise then get a unit facing east. Traditionally units facing south has a better resale value. Units facing north offer the least return in resale value.

Last edited:
A note about view/exposure. I find that west is best. Floods of light after noon and of course sunsets. If you're really close to the lake, west is better than south in many cases. The lake offers nothing in terms of view at night, unless you enjoy looking at vast area of darkness. However, west views could offer you a half-view of the lake (since the lake sort of curves a bit), as well as a nice half-view of the city at night.

Attachments

• PDR_1577.jpg
    PDR_1577.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 259
  • Sunset 6.jpg
    Sunset 6.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 259
it really depends on the location of the condo and if it has 24 security re: stairwells.

Would you guys buy a condo on the 13th floor?. I was curious if resale value would be negatively affected b/c some people may be superstitious.

I wouldn't buy 13th floor if I had a choice of floors. If the particular floor was much cheaper than the others then I would consider it.

About layout. I agree west is nice. South West is best though. You get the best of both worlds. A beautiful sunset and a clear lake view.

i used to live on the 13th floor for over 15 years , my life turned out ok :)hahahah, plus it was label 14th floor hehehehe..... they skip 13

About layout. I agree west is nice. South West is best though. You get the best of both worlds. A beautiful sunset and a clear lake view.

I agree. However many units have more of a south-view than the west-view. Plus it depends if your south-view includes the Gardiner. Then it'll get quite noisy. But hey, that's downtown TO.

in new pre-sale condos, is this true?

for the exact same unit/layout, one that faces EAST vs one that faces WEST, the EAST facing unit will be 'slightly' more expensive? ... that's the impression I got from looking at various new projects, what would be the reason?

Back