cdr108 ... I understand SS appliances don't belong in a TCHC property for cost reasons, but tiles only make it halfway up the wall for an unfinished look ? and white applicances perhaps are better with light cabinetry ??

i hear what you're saying ... :)
i don't know who would be responsible for colour selection and if there was a choice?

ideal would have been white or birch cabinetry (like in the w/c) with white appliances; and dark cabs with black appliances ... i think the cost is the same, at least they are in retail.

i'm not an expert but from what i've seen on tv's 'income property' with scott mcgilvery, he says rental units should go for solid surface countertops (don't know if that means corian, or what) since they last forever, can take abuse and are easily repaired by buffing it out.

Some of the photo's I shot on May 24
IMG_may-24-09-0002.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0004.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0009.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0010.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0014.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0015.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0016.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0017.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0018.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0019.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0031.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0046.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0107.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0108.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0109.JPG

IMG_may-24-09-0111.JPG

There's something about white applicances and dark cabinetry that disgusts me...

dark cabinets = stainless steel/black applicances

light/white cabinets = white applicances

I'm no designer but I think it makes sense.

There's something about white applicances and dark cabinetry that disgusts me...

dark cabinets = stainless steel/black applicances

light/white cabinets = white applicances

I'm no designer but I think it makes sense.

true that... white appliances look stupid in a dark kitchen...

Yeah! Never mind that these TCHC units are comparable to market-rate condos (something which would have scarcely happened in the past), thereby affording tenants a level of luxury which they may not have otherwise had, the white appliances are STUPID, ya' hear, STUPID.

Nah, SS is so c.2005. Passé. TCHC made the right decision! Besides, SS is a pain to keep clean...just look at 10 year old TCHC units! Dirty!

White with dark cabinetry can look very good--say a burnt orange with white appliances. (edit: I like the black cabinetry with white appliances look: very chic!) Units look fine, no need to complain here. Heck, I'd trade my high park rental for a unit in RP!:)

Last edited:
I walked around this block of development today. It really is quite a shock to come along Gerrard, heading east, and suddenly see these shiny, tall and hugely machined buildings pushing up to the sidewalk of the site. The surroundings only up the contrast - generally being short, dingy and a bit slapdash. It just seems like yesterday that this corner was was a very particular 'nowhere' - a border zone, to use Jane Jacob's parlance - and now it is a very definite, even aggressive, 'somewhere'.

So far, in terms of material and massing, it looks extremely well done, IMO. The detail work looks great - especially on the finished Sackville Street buildings.

My only substantial complaint was the pervasive grey tone of the materials used throughout the site, on both sets of buildings. All the glass, bricks, cladding and concrete were pretty much in the same middling grey colour range, looking strenuously monotonous. It was an overcast day, which didn't help anything stick out much and helped drain out what colour that was visible at all. But regardless, I felt the buildings were all far too constrained and uniform in tone. With them sitting on such a large stretch of land, a bit more variety would have been welcome.

I'll have to get down there on a sunnier day. It might perk things up a bit. Also as more people and businesses move in, that should enliven things, too.

I didn't get close to them, but at a distance, really liked the rhythmic look of the townhomes set up on the North side of One Cole. It looks like red brick was used there, and it works well.

It was great seeing warm light dotting the sides of the building, from lamps, where the first new people have moved in.

Quite a change...and the questions, worries and hopes about what happen to the area only seemed magnified by seeing these buildings being completed. Quite a gamble. Whatever happens here, you get the feeling it's going to be powerful, no matter how it turns out.

June 27 2009 update

Swung by the One Cole presentation centre this weekend and I wasn't particularly impressed (no suprise since its Daniels), I was a little shocked that beyond the advertised bachelor suite @ $179,900, the next unit comes with a price tag of $258,900, thats a pretty big jump (and why would you buy a 1 bedroom 643 sq.ft. unit for that price in a regeneration area??)

On a positive note ... One Cole is intended to be the first condominium built to LEED Gold standards in the City of Toronto

MODs ... is breaking up each block in Regent Park as a separate thread a good idea or not ?? (ie: One Cole) ... just as you would find Luna and Montage as separate threads in Cityplace ... just a thought ~

on another note ... construction is near complete here ~

One Cole - West Residence
IMG_3934.jpg

One Cole - East Residence
IMG_3935.jpg

The east residence roof feature is very similar to the Riviera condos downtown.

Solaris, it's too late to separate this thread by project, but Regent Park is being separated by phase at least.

PS: Solaris, although you constantly remind us how much you dislike Daniels, they consistently come in second after Tridel in the J.D. Power satisfaction rankings of condo builders in the GTA in recent years.

Last edited:

Back