News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
because a box gives you maximum use of space on a square lot. Also the construction is simpler and cheaper... it all goes directly to the bottom line for the developer.

Should we assume for now that the design will stay the same? It seems to make sense that it would.

For branding they may want to have a new signature design, something they can put in their sales brochures for the future

If they want to keep the trust money.. why not keep the design the same?

I agree, it would be easier and cheaper to use the existing design. Architectural and ecngineering fees to redesign would be huge not to mention they would have to negotiate a new deal with the city if the plans change.

Having said that, GG is just another Toronto developer and they will want to maximize profit at the cost of all else. So expect a box that is half the size with no sex or sizzle - Toronto style (take a look at "Couture" by Monarch or the "X" or 300 Front). the only hope this site had was that a foreign company would build something because they have a different objective - that is to make a statement.

but clearly Bazis has demostrated that a foreign company can not be depended upon to build something unique ~ in this instance, it was not even able build anything at all on this site :p

Last edited:
but clearly Bazis has demostrated that a foreign company can not be depended upon to build something unique ~ in this instance, it was not even able build anything at all on this site site :p

Not even a parking lot... and almost anyone is capable of building a parking lot!

If GG chooses to scrap the current building design, which I think they will (and hope)... I hope they plan on putting up a temporary park of some sort around a possible sales centre for their new project.

It will be 2-3 years before anything is built on this site, building plans, approvals, sales, etc.

I have high expectations for anything that goes on this corner from GG and I do not think anyone will be disappointed, knowing GG's track history. I admire their two other buildings in the area, 18 Yorkville and X.

I have high expectations for anything that goes on this corner from GG and I do not think anyone will be disappointed, knowing GG's track history. I admire their two other buildings in the area, 18 Yorkville and X.

ditto WeirdFishes :D ... and not to forget the amazing job Great Gulf also did at:
  • The Morgan
  • The Hudson
  • Saint James
  • Regency

My guess (assuming GG bought it):

GG affiliate First Gulf (think Uptown Waterloo Square redevelopment) preleases the first 2-3 floors as retail, and builds the retail podium/parking. Then it launches--in phases--two towers by aA, one around the 20 story mark the other around 50 floors.

Retail: construction c.2010/11?

Condo #1: 2012

Condo #2: 2014

ditto WeirdFishes :D ... and not to forget the amazing job Great Gulf also did at:
  • The Morgan
  • The Hudson
  • Saint James
  • Regency

Where's Regency?

Are you talking about the building on Bay St. north of Bloor ... wasn't that done by Plazacorp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back