News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Yet forensic fashion dating is very tricky, given cyclical revivals ("Bonnie & Clyde" look in the late 60's; "Mad Men" look today).

Even more problematic is the labelling at the Toronto Archives. The following picture is dated 1911, and says the lady on the right may be Lady Pellatt, ignoring the fact that to modern eyes they are either drag queens or actors trying out for the role of Lady Bracknell:

fashions.jpg

Lady Pellatt had a particularly difficult row to hoe. She deserves our compassion despite her hair.

Last edited:
Some is 'permanent" - St Lawrence Hall and the Market for example. Some is tempororary , I think the private buildings.

More details - I just got an invite to the 'switch on' and Pam McConnell says:

"You won't believe your eyes: the outstanding illumination of the Flatiron building, facades south along Front Street, St. James Cathedral, and St. Lawrence Hall. This lighting event is a showcase what this program will grow to be. While most of the lighting will be permanent, some is only available for Friday and Saturday nights."

Mustapha: That pic at Queen Street East and Munro Park Ave. showing finally
a posted new Toronto street sign-compared with the older "acorn" signs used
the toppers look like overkill on them but adding the block/house number below is a good idea. Thoughts from LI MIKE

Yessir, we sure got our money's worth from the old 'acorn' [didn't know they were called that...] signs.:) They were very long lived.

More details - I just got an invite to the 'switch on' and Pam McConnell says:

"You won't believe your eyes: the outstanding illumination of the Flatiron building, facades south along Front Street, St. James Cathedral, and St. Lawrence Hall. This lighting event is a showcase what this program will grow to be. While most of the lighting will be permanent, some is only available for Friday and Saturday nights."

You must be well connected. :D

I'm bringing a tripod for the long exposures. It should be a pretty night.

November 1 addition.

Then: Pottery Road.

fo1244_f1244_it1264.jpg

Now: October 2009. I'm not at all sure that my Now picture is in the same spot as the Then (no buildings or landmarks in the Then picture), so I'm within a couple hundred yards I guess.

DSCF1276.jpg

At the bottom of Pottery road there are two bridges carrying respectively the eastbound and westbound traffic over the Don river. It's hard to believe that only ONE bridge existed until as recently as the late 60s.

Last edited:
thecharioteer: in your fashion thread above, it's interesting to see how many pairs of two tone shoes for men there are. A rather striking accoutrement for men that fell by history's wayside.

Then: Pottery Road.
Now: October 2009. I'm not at all sure that my Now picture is in the same spot as the Then (no buildings or landmarks in the Then picture), so I'm within a couple hundred yards I guess.

The then picture might be from the part of the road that is now only accessible on foot.
http://valdodge.com/2008/01/27/old-pottery-road-walking-tour/

There was an even earlier route of Pottery Road that didn't follow what is now True Davidson Drive - it headed south west towards this point - Old Pottery Road - you can see the route between the trees.

Harbour view & Toronto St.

Going through some old files and found these:

Attachments

• Tor Harbour Bldg then & now.jpg
    Tor Harbour Bldg then & now.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 476
  • Toronto St. (1885) from King St. T&N.jpg
    Toronto St. (1885) from King St. T&N.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 489
Thanks for posting Goldie. Your second image shows that they really understood how to build a view terminus in those days. I'm not so sure we're as good at it today.

Your first image reminds me that I was always so surprised that the Harbour commission building was so far away from the harbour. I doubt even the staunchest preservationist would have a big issue with relocating it to a waterfront site, preserving at least its context and leaving its current location for more appropriate development.

Your first image reminds me that I was always so surprised that the Harbour commission building was so far away from the harbour. I doubt even the staunchest preservationist would have a big issue with relocating it to a waterfront site, preserving at least its context and leaving its current location for more appropriate development.

You haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Heritage Preservation Services at City Hall! They would argue the opposite, that the significance of leaving the building where it is would be to demonstrate how far the water's edge has shifted. Today's heritage activists will almost never advocate relocation (even the shifting of the old Mt. Sinai Hospital facade at 100 Yorkville by about 20 feet was a major battle).

You haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Heritage Preservation Services at City Hall! They would argue the opposite, that the significance of leaving the building where it is would be to demonstrate how far the water's edge has shifted. Today's heritage activists will almost never advocate relocation (even the shifting of the old Mt. Sinai Hospital facade at 100 Yorkville by about 20 feet was a major battle).

Then I would hate to think of the red tape that was unwound for the James Cooper Mansion! LOL

Bank Vault on the street

Dominion Bank vault being transported down Bay Street to the Yonge and King branch - 1914.

If I'm not mistaken, that's Melinda St. on the east side of Bay and the Toronto Telegram newspaper building at the right. Now the site of Commerce Court.

Attachments

• Dominion Bank vault being transported down Bay Street to Yonge and King 1914 CTA.jpg
    Dominion Bank vault being transported down Bay Street to Yonge and King 1914 CTA.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 376
Then I would hate to think of the red tape that was unwound for the James Cooper Mansion! LOL

Yes, but that distance travelled was modest compared to what Tewder suggests for the THC. And yes, he's truly out to lunch and in la-la land if he thinks that even the staunchest preservationist would advocate moving THC thusly...

beautiful? buildings

A couple of unique buildings - but the streets are not identified.

What are the odds that anything remains?

Attachments

• NB & M Insurance Co.jpg
    NB & M Insurance Co.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 447
  • f0124_fl0001_id0143.jpg
    f0124_fl0001_id0143.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 455

Back