News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

In this other view (early 50's?) most of the block is still intact, including the 1863 Bank of Toronto on the NW corner of Church and Wellington, but it looks like parking lots have already begun to replace the Market Square block. The state of the sidewalks gives a hint as to the decline of the neighbourhood.

churchwellington.jpg

Re-examining this photo (I can't believe I didn't notice at first), that both Front Street and Wellington might be two way streets at this point in time. At least judging by zooming in, those cars parked on the south side of Welly, seem to be facing east. Plus the obvious westbound cars on Front...

I can't figure out how cars coming eastbound on Wellington would merge without killing everyone involved. There doesn't seem to be a special traffic light for this.

When did this piece of Front switch to one way?

Toronto Then and Now...recent pics...

Mustapha: 11/1 Birkbeck Building at 10 Adelaide E-very interesting!
I really like the detail of the Canada Coat of Arms on the inside mail box...
Adma: I do agree-seeing that leggy lady makes me think of a 1973 song by
The Isley brothers: "Who's That Lady?"...

11/3 - Kingston/Silverbirch - Interesting old row houses-was that neighborhood full of them at one point?...
LI MIKE

The first is the Canadian Opera Company offices at Front and Berkeley. The second is the police station at Front and Parliament.

North side of Gerrard, west of Church, the first home of the Ontario College of Pharmacy:

gerrardnsidewestofchurch.jpg

Today, now housing the Ryerson Theatre School:

Ontario_College_of_Pharmacy.jpg

Historic plaque on existing building:

Ontario_College_of_Pharmacy_Plaque.jpg

Part of the Victorian building still remains and can be seen from the side:

44gerrard.jpg

And from McGill Street:

mcgill-1.jpg

Last edited:
no access to Google Streetview

Two more - Google Map edition. I will post the "then photo" and a link to Google Streetview. See if you can guess each building (hint: they're nearby each other).

Please remember that some of us lack the ability (hardware/software) to access Google Streetview.

the opera company and the 52 division prove that sometimes toronto gets things right.

and then i look at the ryerson theatre school and think the opposite.

November 4 addition.

2301 Danforth Avenue. Anna id'd this location back in April. I finally made it out there to take a pic.

fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0534.jpg

DSCF1271.jpg

Yonge and Queen Remix

While I fooled around with these photos last night It felt like I was in that movie, the Philidephia Experiment.

Attachments

• yngrmx.jpg
    yngrmx.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 351
oh how i hate &%$##$%#$% EIFS!!!!! its such a menace.

Really? Yes, they could have picked a better colour, but I hate this eyesore either way. The original seems a hodgepodge of visual styling cues...

"Hey, I'm a Pseudo-Tudor... No wait! I'm Santa Fe... No wait! I'm Art's and Crafts... No wait! I' have an Art Deco awning..."

"You're a mess."

(Apologies to lovers of this building...it's just an opinion.)

Still, said "mess" had oomph. Whereas the present version just looks macabre and Botoxed...

I would support EIFS being banned. It manages to murder our traditional brick streetscape without replacing it with anything of visual interest. Don't get me started on the atrocious mouldings that come with it. Ugh.

Back