News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I love the schizophrenic look it originally had, and I love the mock Tudor look.... obviously:) This look was quite popular in Toronto and there are still some notable examples of it around.

It's more what's done with EIFS than EIFS itself (a poor craftsman blames his tools).

Berkeley Street stands out in my mind as a good example of recovering brick facades without ruining them entirely in the process — though I'm sure that was done with some other rendering material, there's nothing standing in the way of EIFS being used similarly.

November 5 addition.

Bay Street Bus Terminal. Go check it out, and pretend its 1931, presumably when the 'Then' beauty photo was taken, soon after it was built.

North_Mezzanine_Toronto_Coach_Termi.jpg

A 'Now' photo can't be taken from the mezzanine anymore. There are offices up there.

CSC_0017.jpg

So sadly compromised by so many small changes - a bit like what has happened with the degradation, by stages, of Royal Bank Plaza's interior. I wouldn't have minded if a bold and contemporary intervention had taken place somewhere along the line, but this death of a thousand cuts is depressing.

^Don't forget the unnecessary additions. Are those black rectangles video screens? Those plants aren't really necessary either.

It has been nearly six years since I've been down to this stretch of The Beaches but here is a shot of Queen Street East just east of Lee Ave looking west (circa 1890s)?

QueenStreetEastofLee.jpg

^Don't forget the unnecessary additions. Are those black rectangles video screens? Those plants aren't really necessary either.

Arrival/departure boards? (And I can see a plant in the old photo.)

As adaptations go, it could (and, ten or twenty years earlier, probably would) have been a lot worse--hey, they tried, and at least they kept the whole double-height-lobby-and-mezzanine parti. But those new railings are really self-conscious and, compared to the originals, unnecessary. As is the tiling by the entrance stair...

November 6 addition.

Then: King and Bathurst, SW corner.

Another one of Mr. Wiley's Toronto Archive photos. There appears to be a 1966-ish Mercury car at the photo edge; meaning that this photo could have been taken anytime after that.

fo0124_f0124_fl0002_id0095.jpg

Now: September 2009.

DSC_0004.jpg

strange, I thought the wheat sheaf was one of the (if not the) oldest pubs in Toronto. Perhaps what they mean is that there's always been a pub at this location but it has gone through a few different names over time.

Back