8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

phase2girl

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'd like some opinions on what upgrades would provide the best future resale value:

(1.) Hardwood in the bedroom ( if the rest of the unit's rooms already have it.)

(2.) French Doors on a windowless den (Currently have 1 door)

(3.) Energy Efficient Appliances ( Already getting stainless steel)

(4.) Extra Parking Spot (1 was included in the price, tandem cost more, but I don't like it.)

(5.) Slider Doors in spots where regular doors interrupt the flow/living space (I don't know if this is considered an upgrade, but there are at least 2 spots where I feel a regular feel is clumsy.)

(6.) Better quality faucets in the bathroom/kitchen.

The unit I've booked is here if you're curious.
http://www.stonebrookcondos.com/floorplans.php?suite=lakeshore

Any suggestions for upgrades not mentioned would be welcome!

thanks!

Maybe hardwood in the bedroom. Other than that I wouldn't bother with any of your other ideas. I do suggest that you check to make sure you have enough cable and light receptacles - eg. for chandeliers, ceiling light fixtures in dining room, bedroom and maybe living room. Also carefully think about where you might want your TV and other appliances that require cable (computer). These are hard to put in later but are pretty cheap to put in now. This assumes that you can still do it.

Maybe hardwood in the bedroom. Other than that I wouldn't bother with any of your other ideas. I do suggest that you check to make sure you have enough cable and light receptacles - eg. for chandeliers, ceiling light fixtures in dining room, bedroom and maybe living room. Also carefully think about where you might want your TV and other appliances that require cable (computer). These are hard to put in later but are pretty cheap to put in now. This assumes that you can still do it.

I agree capped ceiling outlet in the bedroom (sometimes an option) and maybe one above the breakfast bar. Hardwood floor in the bedroom if not too pricy. Difficult to match the wood aftewards. Kitchen and bathroom fixtures are a ripoff from the builder. Smooth ceilings are a nice touch and very messy to do after you move in if the builder sprayed the stipple.

I agree capped ceiling outlet in the bedroom (sometimes an option) and maybe one above the breakfast bar. Hardwood floor in the bedroom if not too pricy. Difficult to match the wood aftewards. Kitchen and bathroom fixtures are a ripoff from the builder. Smooth ceilings are a nice touch and very messy to do after you move in if the builder sprayed the stipple.

thanks for the note, did not think of these.
By "stipple" did you mean popcorn ceilings?

I believe that's what he means. I'm not a "stipple" expert either. But pretty certain he's referring to popcorn to smooth ceilings.

Catapult provided great advice. Definitely continuous hardwood flooring throughout will add the most value and create a larger feeling with more flow. The rest of those upgrades won't add any significant value. Have the builder do anything that is more difficult to do later i.e. outlets and receptacles, gas hookup, ceilings.

If pot lights are an option, they do tend to cost a heck of a lot more from the builder. But it's easier done up front. However, I've heard of some crazy prices.

For the den, I would remove the wall altogether and make your foyer more open concept. Depends on whether you want privacy in that den or not. Depending on your lifestyle, you may prefer to keep unsightly storage or use it as a private office if you have an s/o or people in your unit often while you have work to do.

At 803 sf, you have lots of space and there's no waste square footage. Very long unit.

Best of luck with the upgrades and if you can provide your builder's price list that would be good for many of us to prepare. I'll soon have to think about upgrades myself.

thanks for the note, did not think of these.
By "stipple" did you mean popcorn ceilings?

yes, sorry for the confusion.

I spent most of my upgrade budget with the builder in the kitchen (counters, sink, island upgrade, and cabinets) and the bathroom (frameless glass, rain head, tile, sink and counter). Other upgrades will get done after I get occupancy. You can upgrade anything for less than the builder is charging, however, removing tiles in the shower and off the floor to put in new tiles is a messy job. If your contractor doesn't do a good job and it leaks to units below, you will be responsible for all the damage caused to other units .

Just to give an example, I have an unit at Victory Condos, I selected a beautiful white laminate fllor that they were offering as standard, however the bedroom is carpet. They were asking almost $1300 to do the laminate in the bedroom, which is 10'x10 so 100 sq ft, so I found out who was the supplier for that laminate and I went to the store to inquiry about that laminate, same color, it was $2.50 per sq ft, so the material was only $250. I decided to keep the carpet in the bedroom and do not pay $1000 to install 100 sq ft laminate. They were also asking like $650 for a pot light and $150 or $200 for the second one. you can get professional people to install pot lights for $100 each. the upgrades prices from the builders are just crazy

Last edited:
Just to give an example, I have an unit at Victory Condos, I selected a beautiful white laminate fllor that they were offering as standard, however the bedroom is carpet. They were asking almost $1300 to do the laminate in the bedroom, which is 10'x10 so 100 sq ft, so I found out who was the supplier for that laminate and I went to the store to inquiry about that laminate, same color, it was $2.50 per sq ft, so the material was only $250. I decided to keep the carpet in the bedroom and do not pay $1000 to install 100 sq ft laminate. They were also asking like $650 for a pot light and $150 or $200 for the second one. you can get professional people to install pot lights for $100 each. the upgrades prices from the builders are just crazy

Wow these upgrades are quite pricey! Thanks for your info/advice. It's gonna be a while before we discuss upgrades as the building is not scheduled to start until Jan 2012. Hope the cost of the hardwood upgrade is not too pricey, at least I have next year to save for it!

The upgrades you had to pay for separately, right?

I believe that's what he means. I'm not a "stipple" expert either. But pretty certain he's referring to popcorn to smooth ceilings.

Catapult provided great advice. Definitely continuous hardwood flooring throughout will add the most value and create a larger feeling with more flow. The rest of those upgrades won't add any significant value. Have the builder do anything that is more difficult to do later i.e. outlets and receptacles, gas hookup, ceilings.

If pot lights are an option, they do tend to cost a heck of a lot more from the builder. But it's easier done up front. However, I've heard of some crazy prices.

For the den, I would remove the wall altogether and make your foyer more open concept. Depends on whether you want privacy in that den or not. Depending on your lifestyle, you may prefer to keep unsightly storage or use it as a private office if you have an s/o or people in your unit often while you have work to do.

At 803 sf, you have lots of space and there's no waste square footage. Very long unit.

Best of luck with the upgrades and if you can provide your builder's price list that would be good for many of us to prepare. I'll soon have to think about upgrades myself.

It may be 1-2 years before I get the upgrade price list as construction won't start till Jan 2012. You may get the prices first!

I'm surprised that no one voted for the energy efficient appliances....

aren't those pretty standard features these days ?!?

of every project i've seen (and that's alot), they were standard ... perhaps the finish would be optional but e/e is the norm i believe.
i don't even think manufacturers make non e/e appliances, except for dryers, but that's a given.

I really like slider doors if they are good ones, but that is more of a personal use preference. Having a translucent door for a windowless room (your den) might be nice, but the sound insulating properties of such a door are not as good. If a gas cooktop was available, I'd definitely be willing to pay for that.

I suspect that all of these upgrades will make much less of a difference at resale than removing all clutter (perhaps half the furniture and no nik naks), and staging the unit well. But I'm not expert.

They were also asking like $650 for a pot light and $150 or $200 for the second one. you can get professional people to install pot lights for $100 each. the upgrades prices from the builders are just crazy

$650 for a single pot light?! I can understand $150-$200 each, but $650 for the first? That's robbery! :)

This is one of the things I was considering doing as an upgrade since it's easiest to do up front. But not at $650 for the first pot light when I can get 5-6 for that price.

$650 for a single pot light?! I can understand $150-$200 each, but $650 for the first? That's robbery! :)

This is one of the things I was considering doing as an upgrade since it's easiest to do up front. But not at $650 for the first pot light when I can get 5-6 for that price.

My builder wanted $400 per pot light and would only do it in the bathrooms (existing drop ceiling). Easy project to do after occupancy.......i think.

Back