News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I didn't get out to those wonderful "open doors" this weekend, so it's back to the old standby -T&N

TN350Danforth1912.jpg

I'm thinking those homes didn't exist for even 25 years. Commercialization/stores on the Danforth along this stretch started coming in about 1920?

May 31 addition.

Yesterday we were looking at the NE corner of Spadina and King - at an image of the long gone branch of the Traders Bank. I mentioned that the head office of this defunct bank still exists at the NE corner of Yonge and Colborne. Well, here it is. :)

Then. Another wwwebster sourced picture. "c1909".

TradersBankc1909.jpg

Now. May 2011.

CSC_0406.jpg

I'm thinking those homes didn't exist for even 25 years. Commercialization/stores on the Danforth along this stretch started coming in about 1920?

It appears that stores were being built on Danforth, just east of Broadview, even before the Prince Edward Viaduct was completed (1917).

TNDanforthstores.jpg

It appears that stores were being built on Danforth, just east of Broadview, even before the Prince Edward Viaduct was completed (1917).

TNDanforthstores.jpg

The catalyst for development on Danforth wasn't the completion of the Viaduct, it was the completion of the Danforth Streetcar by the Toronto Civic Railways. Construction began in August 1912, and the line opened on October 30, 1915. (Great book on this is 'The Toronto Civic Railways' by J. William Hood)

I didn't get out to those wonderful "open doors" this weekend, so it's back to the old standby -T&N

TN350Danforth1912.jpg

Goldie, when you took this photo were you aware that the buildings on Danforth Ave were renumbered around 1921?

For example, today 2500 Danforth Ave is just west of Main St, but during WWI the same site would have been 1450 (ish) Danforth Ave.

Goldie, when you took this photo were you aware that the buildings on Danforth Ave were renumbered around 1921?

For example, today 2500 Danforth Ave is just west of Main St, but during WWI the same site would have been 1450 (ish) Danforth Ave.

I wasn't aware of any renumbering.

TNDanforthstores.jpg

How interesting - the block had such a feeling of architectural unity to it originally, the idea of the buildings as a collective statement, especially the second floor.

Then. "City Hall foyer. May 22, 1936." (It wasn't called "Old" City Hall back then; just plain City Hall).

f1231_it0137a.jpg

Now. This was a Doors Open picture from this past May 29. Yes, I KNOW it's taken from the wrong side of the foyer but I remembered the Then picture as something I'd seen in the past at the online Toronto Archives - I just couldn't remember it exactly. :)

The service wickets are gone now - I suppose one could do something as quaint as go to City Hall and pay your taxes or water bill in those days. I wonder what happened to the oil portraits of the - I assume - City Fathers?

CSC_0504.jpg

The catalyst for development on Danforth wasn't the completion of the Viaduct, it was the completion of the Danforth Streetcar by the Toronto Civic Railways. Construction began in August 1912, and the line opened on October 30, 1915. (Great book on this is 'The Toronto Civic Railways' by J. William Hood)

So, prior to the viaduct - a trip from anywhere on the Danforth to say, Bloor and Yonge; required a streetcar west to Broadview, south to Gerrard, and then west to Yonge and north to Bloor.

Danforth car line

Quite right! Although the Viaduct (in 1917) led to enhanced developments on the Danforth and East York, too.
These photos (click to enlarge) show the new streetcar line just east of Broadview in 1912 & 1913:

Attachments

• Danforth Civic Carline 1912.jpg
    Danforth Civic Carline 1912.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 279
  • Danforth east from Broadview 1913.jpg
    Danforth east from Broadview 1913.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 287
How interesting - the block had such a feeling of architectural unity to it originally, the idea of the buildings as a collective statement, especially the second floor.

At least the're still there. Perhaps my standards are not as high as yours, Urban Shocker.

The Danforth is always inviting. A great Toronto street.

Back