June 19
Nothing drill on the north side yet, but X marks the spot. I heard a comment while I was shooting that the bridge will be launch from the north side from the street closed for the construction of Parade. Considering where the supports are located, you will not be close to it as well going out on an angle.

A number of ppl are planning on staying up all night to watch this move as well video taping it.

Here is the support on the south side
5852342811_516ab239d8_b.jpg

5852345799_410308bb71_b.jpg

5852930490_253874fd69_b.jpg

X mark the spot for the north side
5852334341_268f45a9e7_b.jpg

Centre
5852882442_beb91c3e63_b.jpg

5852934896_abf5ef5850_b.jpg

5852381801_6e471a5bff_b.jpg

More bridge:

Footings are rising, and new footings for the ramp leading to Portland Street are also being formed:

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

Subscribed! Looking forward to updates. As a CityPlace resident I'm thrilled this bridge is finally going in.

They've started the supports along Front street. I guess the bridge will cross perpendicular to the tracks and then descend to street level parallel to the road. Still curious to see what the final bridge design will be.

July 4/11

IMG_9722.jpg

Hey maybe build the cheapest bridge possible for now, while this building transformation of the area continues and down the line deck over our busy railway lines in phases, maybe in the first phase deck Spadina to Bathurst St. with a public square similar to Melbourne,s Federation square. That would open up Front Street to a southern sidewalk and a possible LRT right-of-way.This city seems to have visions for East Bayfront, West Donlands, Tearing down the Gardiner, a 10 lane Lakeshore Blvd, etc but nothing is ever mentioned of our rail corridor which has tons of potential overtop.
Its time that the city starts talking tough with these railway companys that seem to own the place and bully the city around. :mad:
It seems that some of these 9-5 politicians that at the moment live at City Hall have very little vision and no balls regarding this issue.

Here is an example from Down Under.

Fed_Square_August_20071.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federation_Square

i have been imagining parks all on top of our railways, or even a bridge like the skypath viaduct... this is another great way to use the space... to bad cityhall likes to stay back in time...the only place they understand

Every dreamer online has been imagining parks on top of our downtown rail corridor. What they fail to proposal is how to pay for it including the electrification of the system. City Hall has little to say on such matters as well so, it's always amusing how they are the first to be berated.

Every dreamer online has been imagining parks on top of our downtown rail corridor. What they fail to proposal is how to pay for it including the electrification of the system. City Hall has little to say on such matters as well so, it's always amusing how they are the first to be berated.

oh... thats interesting.... hmm.... i'll keep that in mind... sorry city hall!

The other thing folks forget is that the "air rights" above the rail corridors are a subject of great controvesy between GO, the feds and the City. That will be sorted out eventually, but nowhere soon.

Electrification of the rail corridor is the first critical step. Once there, selling air rights will come very quickly because it'll be so valuable and imminently within reach.

I'd love to see a park, or building a new Gardiner above the rail and selling the old Gardiner real estate.

Back