A streetlight is going in at Front/Portland to faciliate the bridge according to the Councillor's office. The bridge is set to open in October, believe or not.

^ WOW now that's expensive! Wonder if we could somehow find out the breakdown of costs to put things into perspective. I don't see how four traffic lights and poles could possibly cost that much.

^ WOW now that's expensive! Wonder if we could somehow find out the breakdown of costs to put things into perspective. I don't see how four traffic lights and poles could possibly cost that much.

It certainly does seem expensive but the City uses private contractors and, just maybe, they make a profit. The gravy seems to be going to the private seector not to the "lazy city workers" that Mayor Ford(s) - who is keen on out-sourcing - seems to blame for everything.

It certainly does seem expensive but the City uses private contractors and, just maybe, they make a profit. The gravy seems to be going to the private seector not to the "lazy city workers" that Mayor Ford(s) - who is keen on out-sourcing - seems to blame for everything.

^+1000

That is a reasonable price for traffic signals. The controller alone costs 15k (20k installed), throw in all the underground conduit, handholes, pole bases, poles (usually 1500 a piece), loop detectors, signal heads, mast arms, pedestrian countdown signals, wiring, restoration and you are well into the the hundred thousand range. Not alot of "gravy" if you ask me.

Yeah the price seems quite reasonable to me...

Yeah i guess for Toronto.....in the USA its 30-40% cheaper.

Traffic signals are much more costly than is commonly realized, even though they represent a sound public investment when justified. A modern signal can cost taxpayers between $80,000 and $100,000 to install - depending on the complexity of the intersection and the characteristics of the traffic using it. On top of this, there is a perpetual cost which is almost never considered - the cost of the electrical power consumed in operating a signalized intersection 24 hours a day. This now averages about $1,400 per year.

Lots of activity on the site happening the last few days!

The footings for the bridge have officially been installed. The metal that you see in the earlier pictures was there to simply reserve a hole for the footings. Two large tubes of metal were delivered and lowered into the holes, and the cover was then removed. They have also surrounded the footings with concrete blocks. Lots of equipment has been delivered to the site, and work on the intersection of Front and Portland Street has also started.

IMG_2744.jpg

IMG_2745.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah i guess for Toronto.....in the USA its 30-40% cheaper.

Traffic signals are much more costly than is commonly realized, even though they represent a sound public investment when justified. A modern signal can cost taxpayers between $80,000 and $100,000 to install - depending on the complexity of the intersection and the characteristics of the traffic using it. On top of this, there is a perpetual cost which is almost never considered - the cost of the electrical power consumed in operating a signalized intersection 24 hours a day. This now averages about $1,400 per year.

Yes agree at this point. Its as it as you said its cheaper than that.

Sounds like one of the best justifications for roundabouts I've ever seen. :)

Back