While that may have been a secondary reason, it certainly wasn't the primary concern. Since there is no sidewalk along the south side of Front at that point, it would either be incumbent on Concord Adex to construct one, or to simply connect it to the existing intersection at Portland St, allowing pedestrians to safely cross the road and proceed east or west on the north side. Seeing as any developer worth their salt wouldn't want to invest in 5-600 meters of offsite sidewalk construction, they simply chose the latter.

Yes there is no sidewalk on the south side of Front but there is space for one;
6139586272_c839fecc50_b.jpg
The curb and fence would need to be reconstructed and light standards relocated and sidewalk paved of curse but surely the costs of this wouldn't be prohibitive. And why would it be incumbent on Concord Adex to construct it? Building sidewalks on public roads not adjacent to new developments is the cities responsibility is it not?

In any case, I hope your not blaming GO for being 'recalcitrant' in regards to the construction of a sidewalk.

The city doesn't have to construct anything. It's Concord's bridge and as such, they are responsible for connecting it appropriately to existing infrastructure.

It's not a matter of whether they have to or not. Concord obviously won't fit the bill for such. Therefore its in the hands of the city to pay for what would clearly be a preferable option.

Screw the fence and just build a damn nice wall along front st., and add a damned sidewalk and bicycle path. This haphazard approach to things in this city is going to drive me away. They rip up streets and barely repair them..there is so little care and attention to detail, that thins like this, where there is no sidewalk etc, should just be taken care of.

p5

It's not a matter of whether they have to or not. Concord obviously won't fit the bill for such. Therefore its in the hands of the city to pay for what would clearly be a preferable option.

It's not, and the policies and history of our current administration only make your suggestion is that much more implausible.

I'm not speaking to the plausibility of such, only that its incumbent on them to produce such a solution as the developer will not and that it would be the prudent thing to do.

You are right, but when has municipal governance ever worked on 'prudence?'

The space is there and in time, I'm sure a sidewalk will be added. It should be no problem to construct a staircase at that point.

The bridge is huge in person. It looks like you could almost drive cars across it.

Still not opening till the spring?

Still not opening till the spring?
I don't think the issue is the bridge itself, the problem is that the linear park and walkway on the south side of the bridge aren't finished. Not sure whether the date has been pushed forward though. Can't wait til it's done though. The Bathurst bridge has always been one of my favourite photography locations, I'm excited to take some shots from a bit closer to the action.

The problem is that the linear park and walkway on the south side of the bridge aren't finished.

Good news, I checked out the south side of the bridge and it looks like they've prepped the ground for a new sidewalk and moved the fences around so that you wouldn't exit due south through the active construction site anymore but would exit to the east (along a new sidewalk) and then be free to walk south. Looks like it totally clears up the problem with the fact there's still construction there.

IMG_1512.jpg

Pic taken Dec 8, 2011

Railing is up and hoarding is gone along Front St.

b8uBH.jpg

I like it, although Front b/t Bathurst and Spadina could use some sprucing up, starting with a repaving. I'd like to see some development on the N/E corner of Spadina and Front as well.

^ That's a pretty hostile looking pedestrian environment. Adding landscaping with a grassy hill to hide the pillars would go far to softening it up.

Yep, they need a sidewalk, and at least a crosswalk if not a set of lights there. It's a strange area, though, as it's 5 minutes just outside of everywhere.

Back