The Banana Bridge at sunset:

Bridge.jpg

Last edited:
So.... it's the middle of November now. Is the bridge opening any time soon?

When I was shooting from Bathurst Bridge last Friday, I would say off hand it will not open until spring now.

No handrail on either ramp and no stop light work at Front St. Still a lot of material store in front of Parade blocking access to the bridge.
6320885671_df4cb99867_b.jpg

6320885005_27b4e9074e_b.jpg

6321409052_585199782f_b.jpg

I would say it will not open until spring now.

Well if you're right (and you always are) this is very dissapointing.

I wonder if legally/contractually they just had to get the bridge built by a certain time and now they can drag their heels with opening it. Same thing happened with Canoe Landing. It got 'opened' and then closed and then opened for real months later.

I'm going to send a letter to Adam Vaughn to let him know.

There's still construction hoarding of Parade 2 blocking access to Fort York Blvd.
I thought the bridge was supposed to be finished Spring 2012 all along.

The bridge won't be needed for some time anyway. Right now it empties on to a construction site on one end and the middle of a desolate street on the other. You'd have to cross at Bathurst and Spadina anyway.

The bridge will only truly shine once the Fort York CityPlace community is built. Having the bridge open now will only serve to satisfy our curiosity then we won't use the bridge for months or years until it gets built around.

Spring 2012 has been the target for months now. They cannot open it until they have a clear path to Dan Leckie Way. With all the construction going on, that won't happen until spring.

The bridge won't be needed for some time anyway. Right now it empties on to a construction site on one end and the middle of a desolate street on the other. You'd have to cross at Bathurst and Spadina anyway.

The bridge will only truly shine once the Fort York CityPlace community is built. Having the bridge open now will only serve to satisfy our curiosity then we won't use the bridge for months or years until it gets built around.

Speak for yourself! As a resident of Cityplace, who routinely travels up to king/queen west (and probably more once that new loblaws opens up) the bridge would be invaluable ASAP.

Speak for yourself! As a resident of Cityplace, who routinely travels up to king/queen west (and probably more once that new loblaws opens up) the bridge would be invaluable ASAP.

Agreed. I would have used it at least 5 or 6 times in the last month.

I wonder if legally/contractually they just had to get the bridge built by a certain time and now they can drag their heels with opening it. Same thing happened with Canoe Landing. It got 'opened' and then closed and then opened for real months later.

I'm going to send a letter to Adam Vaughn to let him know.
Yes, they had to build it by a specific time. GO Transit has been the biggest obstacle to the construction of this bridge. GO had ridiculous signal visibility requirements and were being unnecessarily difficult to deal with and uncooperative, according to Vaughan.

Last edited:
Agreed, they could easily open a pedestrian strip through the Parade 2 hoarding for access.

This! Why can't they just make a simple covered walkway through the construction site. Would not be hard to do at all. Of course someone would have to force Concord to do this. They'd never do it willingly.

the bridge construction would not allow that passage to be open during the construction of it, therefor making that hoarding break impossible.

Back