Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Sounds like a fairly large development for this part of town..

89-109 NIAGARA ST
OPA / Rezoning 12 130868 STE 19 OZ Ward 19
- Tor & E.York Mar 2, 2012 --- --- --- ---

Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands for a new mixed use development which includes the retention and reuse of the existing heritage buildings on the site and the addition of two residential towers 15 and 19 stories in height. Proposal includes a total gross floor area of approximately 30535m2

Again, lets hope they are not touching that strip of heritage structures, probably the nicest in the hood.

Last edited:
89-109 is the address for this entire block of historic warehouses.

scaled.php

Last edited:
Sounds like this could mean facadism...

Doesn't really sound like that to me:

Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands for a new mixed use development which includes the retention and reuse of the existing heritage buildings on the site and the addition of two residential towers 15 and 19 stories in height.

Excellent news - those beautiful heritage buildings could use a good clean-up.

I always thought that building would make for a great loft condo development. A true loft building, none of those 9' foot concrete ceiling soft loft BS.

Something severe and edgy in design would be a great tie in to the coffin factory history. Think modern goth or punk.

I had to pull out these photos of the Coffin Couch (made from reclaimed factory imperfect caskets):
coffin-couch-3-537x375.jpg

coffin-couch.jpg

There's something very intriguing about it.

I attended the developer's voluntary community meeting about this a few weeks ago. The plan is to do a full restoration of the existing structures and to build the two towers at the south end of the site, behind the existing buildings, with an internal courtyard between all of the structures. The developer is trying to get the support of the existing commercial/artist tenants and find ways to make the redevelopment work for some of the current tenants and the neighbourhood. The new towers would probably be brick as per the concept renderings. The towers step upwards to the south, and seemed to have extremely minimal shadowing and sightline impact on the neighbourhood, however there's the obvious neighbourhood opposition to some degree because of the exisitng community of artists, traffic and density, etc. As a property owner on the street, I feel this is an excellent opportunity by an owner who is genuinely interested in the complete heritage restoration of the existing buildings, to be funded by the redevelopment.

however there's the obvious neighbourhood opposition to some degree because of the exisitng community of artists, traffic and density, etc.

Right-on scrappyTO, and thanks for the info.
Regarding traffic....the last i heard, is there not suppose to be a new road planned from Bathurst to Strachan just north of the tracks (and not the Front street extension)

Back