News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

PRESTO supports students. It's up the the individual transit agency to define what a student is. PRESTO's site says what it says, but they don't set the policies - this individual transit agencies do.

If we're going to critique someone, lets critique them on how the service plays out in the real world - not on paper.

So if someone is thinking about using Presto, they should ignore what is said on the Presto website? The Presto website should not have accurate information for potential users? What kind of argument is that?

If Presto website says I don't get a discount, then I not going to use it. It's as simple as that. I'm not going to waste $6 just to test out something that should have been explained properly to begin with.

(According to the Presto website, the charge is $6, but it could be incorrect, who knows)

So if someone is thinking about using Presto, they should ignore what is said on the Presto website? The Presto website should not have accurate information for potential users? What kind of argument is that?

If Presto website says I don't get a discount, then I not going to use it. It's as simple as that. I'm not going to waste $6 just to test out something that should have been explained properly to begin with.

(According to the Presto website, the charge is $6, but it could be incorrect, who knows)

Sorry you feel that way.

Transit Usage Report

Funny thing happened today. I noticed the Transit Usage Report was finally available this morning. As I opened it, I found out Presto broke down my usage per agency per week, along with a total of ALL my usage from 2011. I found it very puzzling since I haven't used GO Transit 32 times every month. I called Presto customer service. The lady on the other end of the line indicated that the report is NOT a tax receipt. I though it was funny as they provided the following paragraph next to the report PDF:
The Canada Revenue Agency has confirmed that they consider electronic public transit amounts eligible for the tax credit to be only those amounts which were paid to transit providers in any month(s) where 32 or more one-way trips were taken. In order to qualify for a Federal Public Transit Tax Credit using PRESTO, your PRESTO card must be registered. Transit Usage reports are available for the past seven years in PDF format.

Should you need more information regarding the Federal Public Transit Tax Credit, please visit the CRA website at www.cra-arc.gc.ca(opens new window) You can also call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281.
She said I have to tally up ANY 4 consecutive weeks that give me at least 32 rides and use that amount for tax purposes. I'm a software engineer, and I don't think it was too hard to implement on Accenture's side so that I don't spend hours to figure out how to maximize my Transit amount. I stopped arguing with her as I saw no point in it.
The funny thing is that the report is now gone from the website. go figure.

Is their any word if Presto will work with DRT 'One fare anywhere in Durham' fares on GO Bus service within Durham region? From what I have read on DRTs website it currently will not, but if you transfer between a DRT bus and a GO Bus then you will get a Co Fare on DRT, but still have to pay the regular Go fare. (currently DRT only allows presto use for Co-Fares)

I take 95 GO bus often within Durham Region on my UPASS which counts as a DRT pass for GO bus routes within Durham, one issue with ending two and ten ride tickets on GO is that riders on a GO bus who use a DRT Pass and then a ten ride for the part of their trip that is out side of Durham is that they can not use Presto instead of the ten ride ticket unless they go to the front of the bus when it crosses the border. I know it can't be impossible to program a DRT or UPASS onto a Presto card so is their any chance of that happening?

I would also like to see GO accept DRT fares on GO buses with Presto as they do now with DRT tickets or transfers, seems odd that this is not done according the DRT page on presto. Hopefully they will when the Presto is fully rolled out on DRT.

Is their any word if Presto will work with DRT 'One fare anywhere in Durham' fares on GO Bus service within Durham region? From what I have read on DRTs website it currently will not, but if you transfer between a DRT bus and a GO Bus then you will get a Co Fare on DRT, but still have to pay the regular Go fare. (currently DRT only allows presto use for Co-Fares)

I take 95 GO bus often within Durham Region on my UPASS which counts as a DRT pass for GO bus routes within Durham, one issue with ending two and ten ride tickets on GO is that riders on a GO bus who use a DRT Pass and then a ten ride for the part of their trip that is out side of Durham is that they can not use Presto instead of the ten ride ticket unless they go to the front of the bus when it crosses the border. I know it can't be impossible to program a DRT or UPASS onto a Presto card so is their any chance of that happening?

I would also like to see GO accept DRT fares on GO buses with Presto as they do now with DRT tickets or transfers, seems odd that this is not done according the DRT page on presto. Hopefully they will when the Presto is fully rolled out on DRT.

Whereas the long term plan is for DRT to take over the Highway 2 route, I doubt they will fix this issue any time soon.

As for passes, it's up to DRT to decide what categories and passes they want to offer. Making the UPASS work with PRESTO is as simple as creating a student category, setting the fare to zero and carefully controlling who can be set as a student.

So I was taking OC Transpo home today from work (as I do everyday), and I got onto one of the articulated Transitway buses, and mounted on the pole at the back door was something that I wasn't expecting, so much so that I had to do a double take: a Presto machine.

I knew that they were planning on rolling Presto out on OC Transpo this summer, but it was definitely unexpected to see it on my bus home. This is the first time I've seen one on an OC bus, so I guess they're just starting to install them.

Having said that, I'm going to wait and see what kind of a deal they have with Presto vs OC Transit Pass. The pass is currently $94/month, so if they have it set up that you pay with Presto up until $94, and then the rest of the month is free, then I'll switch to Presto. If not, I'm sticking with my monthly pass.

Because doing the math, it's $2.60 for 2 tickets, which means $114.40/month if I take the bus every weekday to and from work. I'm not going to pay an extra $20 every month to use Presto.

So I was taking OC Transpo home today from work (as I do everyday), and I got onto one of the articulated Transitway buses, and mounted on the pole at the back door was something that I wasn't expecting, so much so that I had to do a double take: a Presto machine.

I knew that they were planning on rolling Presto out on OC Transpo this summer, but it was definitely unexpected to see it on my bus home. This is the first time I've seen one on an OC bus, so I guess they're just starting to install them.

Having said that, I'm going to wait and see what kind of a deal they have with Presto vs OC Transit Pass. The pass is currently $94/month, so if they have it set up that you pay with Presto up until $94, and then the rest of the month is free, then I'll switch to Presto. If not, I'm sticking with my monthly pass.

Because doing the math, it's $2.60 for 2 tickets, which means $114.40/month if I take the bus every weekday to and from work. I'm not going to pay an extra $20 every month to use Presto.

OC Transpo will allow e-Purse payment or pass option, so you will be able to get a Presto card and decide what's best for you. You'll see more readers soon as they started just started installation a month ago.

OC Transpo will allow e-Purse payment or pass option, so you will be able to get a Presto card and decide what's best for you. You'll see more readers soon as they started just started installation a month ago.

What exactly do you mean a "pass option"? Pay until the equivalent of the pass value is reached, or pre-pay the same amount as the pass and the card is valid for the entire month without having to be tapped?

Because I already have a Presto card (I'm in the GTA about every 2nd weekend), and I already have money in my ePurse. Hopefully it will allow both options simultaneously. I'd love to have the ePurse for the odd time I take GO, but I'd like the pre-paid pass for OC Transpo, because I take it everyday.

What exactly do you mean a "pass option"? Pay until the equivalent of the pass value is reached, or pre-pay the same amount as the pass and the card is valid for the entire month without having to be tapped?

Because I already have a Presto card (I'm in the GTA about every 2nd weekend), and I already have money in my ePurse. Hopefully it will allow both options simultaneously. I'd love to have the ePurse for the odd time I take GO, but I'd like the pre-paid pass for OC Transpo, because I take it everyday.

Their website indicates you can store a monthly pass or have money deducted or even a combination of the two. I take this to mean you could have a OC pass loaded on your card and have TTC fare deducted from your e-purse.

Their website indicates you can store a monthly pass or have money deducted or even a combination of the two. I take this to mean you could have a OC pass loaded on your card and have TTC fare deducted from your e-purse.

Awesome, thanks! I'll keep people posted on the OC rollout.

Back